Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
ericroberts
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Ok. Convince a Treo owner.

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Treo 650 with Sprint. Absolutely no complaints. I hardly ever get a reset (I think I got a good one). Have many,many apps on it including TomTom navigation. Maybe, and I mean maybe, get 1 reset every other month. Had this one for about 10 months. So all is good.
I had used Blackberry with Nextel some years back and for the most part was happy with it, maybe not as happy as I am with my Treo, but I liked it nonetheless.
So my question is this: Any former Treo users (forget about resets) happy with the 8700 over the Treo?
I just hate to give up so many apps that I have on it that I feel I might be taking a step backwards. I get my e-mail just great with Versamail (not pushed of course) but I get them when I want them.
But, dang it, that 8700 looks so enticing in the store.
So please, let me hear from former Treo users if there are any regrets.
Thanks.
Eric
Old 01-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Easy

I went from a Sony Clie to the BB. The biggest issue is what programs are you willing to give up. TomTom is nice. Now have Google Local but it won't be as robust. What else is a must. When I switched there was no SplashData, but now we have Cryptmagic. Just as good.

What else for you. If you take the plunge or want to more about features, check out my tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericroberts
I have a Treo 650 with Sprint. Absolutely no complaints. I hardly ever get a reset (I think I got a good one). Have many,many apps on it including TomTom navigation. Maybe, and I mean maybe, get 1 reset every other month. Had this one for about 10 months. So all is good.
I had used Blackberry with Nextel some years back and for the most part was happy with it, maybe not as happy as I am with my Treo, but I liked it nonetheless.
So my question is this: Any former Treo users (forget about resets) happy with the 8700 over the Treo?
I just hate to give up so many apps that I have on it that I feel I might be taking a step backwards. I get my e-mail just great with Versamail (not pushed of course) but I get them when I want them.
But, dang it, that 8700 looks so enticing in the store.
So please, let me hear from former Treo users if there are any regrets.
Thanks.
Eric
Old 01-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

Given your satisfaction level with the Treo, what do you care what anyone else is experiencing? This seems like a strange request to me. There are posts all over this board on Treo owners that have switched and happy they did. Either you are not telling the truth and you are in fact dissatisfied with the Treo and you are seeking a solution for that dissatisfaction or you are wasting peoples time. So which is it?

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I have a flawless GSM 650 and 8700 and I like the 8700 because it is smaller and lighter and more pocket friendly. The 650 does more (I have TomTom etc) but I harldy use those features. I am more email, sms, chat, phone, browser guy and so far the 8700 is working out better for me. You have to decide what features you really use in the long run.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
dwlace01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

well im a converted Treo user but i converted only b/c i was tired of dealing with resets and poor sound quality. It sounds to me, like john said, that you are prefectly happy with the treo so why go with the blackberry? I've always been a firm believer in "if something works dont fix it". If you have no problems with your treo then dont convert to 8700 b/c you are only setting yourself up with the possibility of disappointment. I'm not saying the 8700 has any problems, and i obviously picked it over the treo and i haven't had any complaints but then again, i had problems with the Treo so i wanted to switch.

In short, dont fix a problem that you dont have. Its like upgrading a program that you are totally happy about and does everythign you want it to do...only to find out that the update has a bug in it and your program is now rendered useless.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
DaddyRick

Model: 7290

I went from a Treo 650 to a BB7290, NO REGRETS!!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

Troll?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
DaddyRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRider
Troll?
Are you asking me if the avatar is a troll? Its Stitch from the Disney movie Lilo & Stitch!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

No, no, no. Just commenting that the OP sounds like he might be trolling.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #10
DaddyRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRider
No, no, no. Just commenting that the OP sounds like he might be trolling.
k, been up almost 32 hours, didn't catch that, had too read again, lol....
Old 01-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Hey, if you like the Treo, stick with it.

I used a Treo 600 way back and have seen the 650, I can't imagine what people like about the devices. Yeah there are certainly more apps on the things but everything else about them absolutely sucks... IMHO.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #12
ericroberts

Geez Barjohn,
wasting peoples time because I'm trying to get informative feedback?? Shame on you.
I just happen to like to try different devices and see how it compares. I have several phones in my arsenal so it's not a matter of liking or disliking the treo (in this case).
But I do like to hear feedback on what people think.
Maybe YOU don't like your BB with that defensive remark!! But I see nothing wrong with asking former Treo users how it compares with "real-life" usage. Did YOU not "like" your last device??
It's just a matter of trying something new & different.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

I think John was trying to make the point that there are PLENTY of posts around here regarding the question you asked. It just seems "odd" for a first time poster to ask a question such as the one you posed.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #14
ericroberts

I don't understand "odd". Just wanted a few answers regarding my question. Not Trolling here and I don't have time to go through hundreds of "similiar" posts that may or may not pertain to the question.
Why the reaction like I'm trying to steal food off their plates?? I don't understand the defensive remarks. It was a simple question so I can make an informative decision before I buy it because I like what I saw at the store. Why are these forums so negative?? Everyone acts like they invented the damn thing! Treo forums are the same way ( I might add )
Forums are supposed to help with questions and problems; not attack!!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #15
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I don't understand "odd". Just wanted a few answers regarding my question. Not Trolling here and I don't have time to go through hundreds of "similiar" posts that may or may not pertain to the question.
Why the reaction like I'm trying to steal food off their plates?? I don't understand the defensive remarks. It was a simple question so I can make an informative decision before I buy it because I like what I saw at the store. Why are these forums so negative?? Everyone acts like they invented the damn thing! Treo forums are the same way ( I might add )
The key here is help. not dp the work for you. The work has been done and it has been posted, now it is up to you to go through it and read and become informed. To quote you "Not Trolling here and I don't have time to go through hundreds of "similiar" posts that may or may not pertain to the question."

What makes you think then that the rest of us do. Forums are for reading and become informed. If you had done your homework and asked then a relative question people would not be jumping all over you.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #16
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Ok, I'll answer your question, but my initial thought is similar to what others have said: if you're happy with your Treo (and you sound like you are), why would you want to switch? Particularly since you won't be able to get the 8700 on Sprint/Nextel for quite some time.

Anyway, for me, I've found the BB to be much more stable and reliable. With the BB, I don't worry about losing my data. If the battery runs down (which would take 4 days), my stuff is still safe. That's a BIG plus for me.

The phone is better. Call quality is nearly as good as my Nokia phones. BT on the BB works very well, too. The Treo would get static-y if I was 3 feet from the phone. I've been able to walk into another room without much of a problem with the BB. I also haven't had a single drop of call since getting the BB. The Treo would randomly lose calls.

This is a strange one: no touchscreen. I know that's weird, but I prefer not having a touchscreen. I can put the BB in my pocket naked without worry about damaging it's functionality. With the Treo, if the screen got scratched, it reduced how well it would work. On the BB it's just cosmetic.

The OS: BB OS is a very well designed one. You can tell it was built from the ground up to be used in the way it is. One handed operation is so simple it comes as second nature. The Treo was pretty good for one handed operation as well, but not nearly as good as the BB.

Hope that helps.

ps - you ought to try Chatteremail for your treo. You'll get push email if your IMAP server supports the IDLE command.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #17
sfo

Model: 8703e

If you want more apps, stay with Treo.
For everything else, it's the 8700.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
jjessen

Quote:
Dude, don't sweat these techno-geeks. Too many people on this board try way too hard to prove how much they know and how little you know. Their gadget is obviously their life. Anyway, for what its worth, I just switched from a MPx220 to a 8700 and so far I'm very happy. The only thing that I miss is the flip.

Before you techno-geeks start trashing my Moto let me say that I had a black euro model that didn't have any problems at all. My first one from cingular died after 1 month. They sent me a SMT5600. Buttons way too small. Gave it to my wife to replace the p.o.s. nokia 6620 that she had and bought the euro 220 brand new in the box on ebay. Loved it til I crossed paths with the 8700.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #19
jjessen

I have one more thing to say to all you folks making a big deal about someone simply asking for a little input about the treo vs. the 8700. It sounds like a few of you don't believe he can be happy with his treo and be curious about the 8700. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How many time have YOU either switched devices or thought about it when something new came out? EVEN when you were happy with you current device? Face it, that's what you do, he's just being honest about it. many of you will trade in that 8700 as soon as something new comes out. You might even claim that you aren't happy with the 8700 so you can justify doing exactly what this guy is thinking about doing.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #20
anthonymoody

Model: 8700

jjessen,

Fanboys - on *any* forum - never listen to reason. Don't bother.

TM
Closed Thread