BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Bradleyo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Create a Blackberry Backup Image?

Please Login to Remove!

Being new to the Blackberry, I'm curious if there is any way to create a backup image or something similar, so that if my phone ever gets corrupted, I can reinstall the OS and then restore the phone so that everything is the same (customizations, icons, folders, etc.)?

I know on my computer I have an imaging program that, should any partition become corrupt, I can restore the image and it's exactly as it was before the corruption.

I downloaded a theme the other day and it completely changed around my icons, folders, etc. I then spent half a day reconfiguring everything... and I'd like to avoid that happening again if the phone should ever become corrupted.

Maybe the DM's backup feature does that, but I just want to be sure. I just want to have a nice, clean copy of my current settings in case anything ever happens.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

DM backs up all information and data you added beyond the Basic RIM install when new. Some APPS will have to be re-added. The primary purpose of the Backup program in DM is to backup your addresses and email info. Nothing exists to make a "image" of the BB. At any time you can download a fresh copy of the OS and restore your data with a backup,...provided you made one.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Bradleyo

That's no fun. I'm surprised there isn't some type of cloning or imaging software out there, I can't imagine it would be that difficult. The program would just make a backup of everything and then restore everything- as long as it was restoring back to the original device. But of course we're talking about a phone that can't even install apps to the SD card yet.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

It's a Blackberry and not intended to be a PC or IPhone...sorry
Old 03-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyo View Post
That's no fun. I'm surprised there isn't some type of cloning or imaging software out there, I can't imagine it would be that difficult. The program would just make a backup of everything and then restore everything- as long as it was restoring back to the original device. But of course we're talking about a phone that can't even install apps to the SD card yet.
BlackBerry is, in part, about security. Installing apps to a memory card is a poor security practice even if it is convenient. RIM chose security over convenience, which I applaud. It's one of the primary reasons I'm a BB user.

Backup over Desktop Messenger handles pretty much all of what you expect from a restore solution. You can even use that backup file to transfer all your data to a new device. If you really want to be able to backup from any computer, you can copy your .ipd backup file onto a thumb drive and take it with you.

Or just buy an iPhone.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

DM will back up your data and there also is a way to backup 3rd party applications, as well. So, you can wipe the device to nothing, reload any OS of your choice then add back your 3rd party apps and data backups.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Bradleyo

Well, I applaud the security concerns, but it would be nice if we were also given an OPTION to override the security concerns and utilize the phone as we prefer. I don't like when companies think they know what's best for everyone else, instead of allowing people to make their own decisions- which is another reason I refuse to go with Apple. If any company is all about control, it is Apple.

However, is it so difficult to create a simple program for backing up the entire system, including 3rd party apps?

I did not see any option to directly backup 3rd party apps in DM, however I did find a workaround with DM:
How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ

At least it will do the job, but I don't see why they can't incorporate such a thing within DM without having to jump through the hoops. If it's about security, let ME worry about my security, I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Well, I applaud the security concerns, but it would be nice if we were also given an OPTION to override the security concerns and utilize the phone as we prefer. I don't like when companies think they know what's best for everyone else, instead of allowing people to make their own decisions- which is another reason I refuse to go with Apple. If any company is all about control, it is Apple.

However, is it so difficult to create a simple program for backing up the entire system, including 3rd party apps?

I did not see any option to directly backup 3rd party apps in DM, however I did find a workaround with DM:
How do I backup my Third Party Applications on my BB? - BlackBerryFAQ

At least it will do the job, but I don't see why they can't incorporate such a thing within DM without having to jump through the hoops. If it's about security, let ME worry about my security, I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions.
YOU can, but the average Joe can't, and when he screws the pooch he'll come whining to RIM. "Waaaaa! Why did you let this happen to me?" With their roots in corporate IT, RIM's focus has always been to put this level of control in the admins' hands and not in the users.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Go with Rambo's suggestion......buy an IPhone
Old 03-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

If I got a specific device for my employees based on my security needs for my company, I'd be very upset if that device came with an option to change those security measures. Even if it is within my control what they can, or cannot do with the device, I would not like that there is a chance they could change that security measure.

Hope I said that in an easy enough to understand way.
blue.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Bradleyo

I hate to tell you, but the BB is no longer an 'exclusive' business tool... if it were, it would ONLY be sold to business clientele.

Especially consider that BB has been coming out with so many different variations to cater to different people and uses... and lately, more and more social apps are also being created for the BB platform. RIM is realizing that if it wants to continue growing and adding more customers, it is going to have to compete with the iPhone and the emerging Android market; I know my roommate's company recently switched FROM Blackberry to the iPhone... and they're an IT Software developer.

My point is... if RIM can make Tour's with and without a camera to cater to business or regular customers, then they should also be able to adapt software security and options as well.

Btw Tsac, when Rambo said, "or just buy an iPhone" he was being funny... you were just being a jerk!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

But you want the BlackBerry to be able to do something that it's just not designed to do. If you want/need that functionality, you should look at other platforms. Simple as that.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
Bradleyo

Just wanted to post some new information:

"After initially focusing on corporate customers, RIM has expanded its reach into the consumer market in recent years. Yet it faces growing competition from Apple's iPhones and other popular devices."

"RIM announced it is developing a new browser and new tools for outside programmers to write software applications that work on BlackBerrys. The browser and apps are two areas in which RIM lags behind Apple."

RIM: higher 4Q profit as subscriber base grows - Yahoo! News

Motorcycle Mama... to say, "you want the BlackBerry to be able to do something that it's just not designed to do" is wrong; the Blackberry can do whatever the OS offers or software design implements. Simply because RIM hasn't created an OS with this capability or software hasn't been created for imaging, doesn't mean the device won't be able to do it eventually.

Just like the announcement said, "RIM... is developing... new tools for outside programmers to write software applications that work on BlackBerrys." Eventually, this function may be possible for the BB's, as I expect more consumer-oriented software and accessibility coming soon as RIM works harder to compete in the consumer market against iPhone and the Android.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
tsac
BlackBerry God

About 80 to 90 % of the RIM business is from Business. they may add some features but dont expect them to satisfy the consumer market first.

2nd time.
Go with Rambo's suggestion......buy an IPhone
Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Quote:

Motorcycle Mama... to say, "you want the BlackBerry to be able to do something that it's just not designed to do" is wrong; the Blackberry can do whatever the OS offers or software design implements. Simply because RIM hasn't created an OS with this capability or software hasn't been created for imaging, doesn't mean the device won't be able to do it eventually.
"won't be able to do it eventually" has nothing to do with what it is designed to do currently (present tense) ... at this moment ... which is what the discussion is about.

Your question was is "there is any way to create a backup image or something similar, so that if my phone ever gets corrupted, I can reinstall the OS and then restore the phone so that everything is the same (customizations, icons, folders, etc.)?" This is a PRESENT TENSE question.

The answer is "no there is not currently a way to do that". And "If you want/need that functionality, you should look at other platforms."
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
Bradleyo

Of course this was already posted in the forum, but I figured I'd repost it here to address tsac.

why-blackberry-users-will-defect: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

"BlackBerry has long been the choice of tech-savvy executives who are wirelessly tethered to their jobs. But as evidenced in the study, only 7% of BlackBerry owners still use their device exclusively for work. "

Sorry Tsac, looks like that blows your 80-90% theory out of the water.

You're right Motorcycle Mama, when I started the topic I was asking about present tense. But as the topic went along, I realized there wasn't anything current that did what I wanted- so I found a different way to backup my phone. Yet, I still am hoping that as RIM becomes more consumer-oriented, they'll start allowing more flexibility with the BB's to compete as they are bleeding market share right now- as the above article notes.

Oh, and btw, the previous company that I worked for also chose iPhones over BB's because the BB's had issues with their network but the iPhone integrated fine. So as more and more businesses find ways of using the iPhone for business, just like my roommate's IT company did as well, Blackberry will lose even more.

Personally, I do not like the touchscreen system, I much prefer a keyboard. I opted for the BB over the iPhone or Android for several reasons.
First factor, Sprint's service plan is a LOT less expensive and offers more than other companies and they don't lock the GPS chip like Verizon. In fact, my BB data plan included the Sprint Navigator w/voice option at no charge- whereas most providers charge monthly for the voice option.
Second, I hate AT&T's service.
Third, I hate Apple's controlling nature- including forcing people to use iTunes for everything.
Fourth, the ONLY way to get full use of the iPhone is to jailbreak it.
Fifth, there are many things the BB does natively, that you need an app for with the iPhone or Android.
Sixth, the iPhone doesn't offer external storage.
Seventh, I think the BB's look more professional.
Eighth, I hate being a clone of everyone else- I refuse to buy something 'just because everyone else is doing it.'

Sorry, I'm not influenced by such things as 'coolness factor' or 'popularity'. I wanted a phone that worked well, was flexible, and performed like a mini-computer. The Tour does just that, and then some. Since I installed the Amzer car mount from Amazon (which I HIGHLY recommend) Amzer Blackberry Tour Car Mount, added the QuickLaunch app and downloaded the paid version of Vlingo- I can do so much while on the road with my phone. Only a couple of clicks, and then using voice control to create texts, e-mails, or respond to such using voice. I am VERY happy that I went with the BB Tour over the iPhone or Android- even if it doesn't do everything that I'd like it to do- for now.
Closed Thread