BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #61
gfunkdave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Yeah, I just got it off Amazon a few days ago.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #62
Kit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
Oh boy...I'm getting worried now. It's reassuring that gfunkdave was able to unlock his, but anyone got any suggestions who I should try next if Adam isn't able to unlock my phone?

BTW, does anyone know how this all works? Is there a list of IMEI's with pre-determined unlock codes?

Thanks,
Chris
If these unlock codes don't eventually make their way into the Cingular unlock code database, then Bongowireless will be the next hope. They have a hack that requires physical access to the BB, but don't have it working with the 8700 series yet. (They have had success with previous models.) They charge $100 to unlock though...
Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #63
nickp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info! Were you able to unlock yours, or are you using on Cingular service?

I'd really like to get a unit and get it working by the end of this week, so the t-mo uk one isn't an option for me at this point. I'm going to try to shop around and see if I can buy one outright from Cingular today.

The other question I have...If I buy a phone from Cingular at 100% full price, can I call Cingular customer care and have them unlock the phone? I read some posts which say "yes" and some "no." Thanks!

-Chris
Hi Chris,

I did purchase mine from a Cingular corporate store, paid the fee to Adam, and 6 hours later was using it to its full capacity on T-Mobile.

Not sure about you Cingular unlock method. Definitely worth a try. One suggestion would be to stay persistant with the CSR reps. If one will not work with you or tells you they can't do it, keep calling back until you find a rep that will help you. Sometimes it takes 5-6 attempts to get the result you need. And you can always tweak your story based on what the previous rep told you.

Good Luck ! Worst case just buzz Adam.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:55 AM   #64
onesixeight

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp
Hi Chris,

I did purchase mine from a Cingular corporate store, paid the fee to Adam, and 6 hours later was using it to its full capacity on T-Mobile.

Not sure about you Cingular unlock method. Definitely worth a try. One suggestion would be to stay persistant with the CSR reps. If one will not work with you or tells you they can't do it, keep calling back until you find a rep that will help you. Sometimes it takes 5-6 attempts to get the result you need. And you can always tweak your story based on what the previous rep told you.

Good Luck ! Worst case just buzz Adam.
Thanks for the info Nick!

Most of the posts I've read say that Adam is pretty good and gets back with an code or refund within 24 hours. I know he's a one man show and I appreciate the work he does, but it's been over 24 hours and no answer yet. Also sent an e-mail asking if he had any luck finding a code, but again, no answer yet.

I tried calling Cingular, but they said unless I was a customer (regardless that I paid full price), they wouldn't unlock it for me. Called again, tried telling them that I bought it off a friend who was moving overseas, but that didn't work either. I don't mind paying over $100 bucks to get it unlocked, I just want it ASAP

-Chris
Old 01-27-2006, 08:42 AM   #65
anthonymoody
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700

onesixeight,
Not trying to be a pessimist, but there have definitely been some 8700c's whose IMEI numbers were *never* in the database. Specifically, I'm thinking of the launch event 8700c's which were (for the most part) shipped directly from RIM. Adam tried many many times to get launch event 8700c's unlocked and could not. I also tried Cingular and RIM and neither were of any help (I'm not a Cingular customer - I was trying to unlock it to use on TMo).

Anyway, like I said not trying to dash hopes but it's possible that like the launch event devices somehow yours may not hit the db.

TM
Old 01-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #66
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
The other question I have...If I buy a phone from Cingular at 100% full price, can I call Cingular customer care and have them unlock the phone? I read some posts which say "yes" and some "no." Thanks!
-Chris
That's because the answer is maybe. Cingular's really inconsistent (see the different prices quoted from earlier in the thread?). You're going to have to be persistent if you keep getting clueless customer service reps. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #67
nickp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Thanks for the info Nick!

Most of the posts I've read say that Adam is pretty good and gets back with an code or refund within 24 hours. I know he's a one man show and I appreciate the work he does, but it's been over 24 hours and no answer yet. Also sent an e-mail asking if he had any luck finding a code, but again, no answer yet.

I tried calling Cingular, but they said unless I was a customer (regardless that I paid full price), they wouldn't unlock it for me. Called again, tried telling them that I bought it off a friend who was moving overseas, but that didn't work either. I don't mind paying over $100 bucks to get it unlocked, I just want it ASAP

-Chris
Adam is a good guy. I have been dealing with him for well over 4 years, and he is true to his word. If he is a little slow on the response, it is probably due to being overwhelmed with requests and/or trying to research how to get it done. No worries, he will come through if it can be done.

Worst case, you have 30 days to return the unit to Cingular, or you can take that one back and exchange it for a different IMEI which may be in the database (if that is the issue).

We really need confirmation from Adam as to what the issue is before figuring out how to handle it on our end.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:33 AM   #68
8700addict

Model: 8700C

For those people who got a replacment from RIM - where u able to unlock your devices?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #69
onesixeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp
Adam is a good guy. I have been dealing with him for well over 4 years, and he is true to his word. If he is a little slow on the response, it is probably due to being overwhelmed with requests and/or trying to research how to get it done. No worries, he will come through if it can be done.

Worst case, you have 30 days to return the unit to Cingular, or you can take that one back and exchange it for a different IMEI which may be in the database (if that is the issue).

We really need confirmation from Adam as to what the issue is before figuring out how to handle it on our end.
Hi Everyone...

I just want to let everyone know that Adam came through and unlocked my unit! Thanks to everyone and most of all, to Adam and GSMphonesource for all your help!

-Chris
Old 01-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #70
nsbalt

Model: 8700C
Cool

Well I was not as lucky as some .... My phone is not in the database yet. Damn! Adam was very responsive and promptly refunded my money. He said he will contact me when the DB is updated and my phone shows up.

Guess I will try to find someone with a Cingular contact (or an account) and try the pain of getting it done through Cingular.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #71
vinniet

Carrier: TMO

Anyone have a idea when T-Mobile will be getting the 8700. The rep on the phone did not know anything about it.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #72
shackk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet
Anyone have a idea when T-Mobile will be getting the 8700. The rep on the phone did not know anything about it.
i keep hearing early march but we all know how tmo is with rumored dates.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #73
pjl31445

Model: 7130
Default Help??

New to this game.

What is wrong with Cingular's blackberry service? What makes TMO better?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #74
rgoodwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

IMHO:

Price (Tmo is cheaper)
Cust service (Cingular has been nothing but rude to me)
Logo (Pink is the new orange!)
Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #75
Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl31445
New to this game.

What is wrong with Cingular's blackberry service? What makes TMO better?
For me, the $20 for "all-you-can-eat" data can't be beat. I've never had a billing dispute with TMob, while when I was with Sprint I had nothing but arguments.

They have always been very helpful and friendly with me for whatever reason I call them, I can't say the same for any other customer service line.

I've a few friends with Cingular that find it to be "OK", but they constantly get charges they can't explain and find difficult to dispute. A good friend of mine recently switched his BB over to TMOB from Cing. and says the difference in service and price is night and day.

YMMV, of course.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #76
shackk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear
For me, the $20 for "all-you-can-eat" data can't be beat. I've never had a billing dispute with TMob, while when I was with Sprint I had nothing but arguments.

They have always been very helpful and friendly with me for whatever reason I call them, I can't say the same for any other customer service line.

I've a few friends with Cingular that find it to be "OK", but they constantly get charges they can't explain and find difficult to dispute. A good friend of mine recently switched his BB over to TMOB from Cing. and says the difference in service and price is night and day.

YMMV, of course.
Could not have said it any better!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #77
biellos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmobile

its all down to price for me. I have never had issues w/ TMobile and they are cheaper - so why change?
Old 02-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #78
dgoard

Model: Storm
Default Tmo 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet

I got this response from my sales rep when I asked about it.

BB 8700 is to be released the beginning of April.

We'll see, I like the way the T-Mo units look

Current Device: BB 8830
PIN 32C2C065
Old 02-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #79
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

I know a guy whose cousin talks all the time with a ice cream guy whose kids go to the same school as a TMO regional VP's sister-in-law who has it on good authority, that it will be out in mid-April.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #80
realmario

Model: 8800
Carrier: T Mobile

Hello:
I currently have a 7230 and tmobile service. I bought an unlocked 8700c off of ebay (still waiting to shipped). After putting sim card in 8700c do I simply just change the handheld pin and ESN/IMEI on the settings in MY-TMOBILE? After that will the 8700c be ready to go? Will there be anything else I have to do? Thanks for the help
Closed Thread