Old 01-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #121
anthonymoody
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
Go to the linked background I posted above while on your BB, click it, open it, save it to your Pictures list, get out of browser, go to Pictures, find that background, trackwheel to Set As Home Screen Image. You can do that with any pictures in there to replace the standard background image of the theme. There is also a Reset Home Screen Image option for when you want to return the theme to its original settings, in this case to return the original Macberry Aqua Blue background to the home screen.

Thanks!

TM
Old 01-31-2006, 07:45 AM   #122
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBit
You can't use BB Desktop to sync on the Mac with VPC7 because there is not a native driver on the Mac side to hook the BB unit back into the VPC. Its the same thing with GPS receivers- and really sucks.

However- I have not tried this with PocketMac installed (it may enable this missing link) but plan to try that this weekend. I read that fairly soon we're going to get an updated RIM-released version of PocketMac with an Applications Loader.
Yeah, RIM is set to release an upgraded version of PM sometime in February, which will obviously make screwing around with VPC7 a moot point - thank god. With the program loading then in place, I hope it's only a short time before someone releases a Mac-based theme creator, too...
Old 01-31-2006, 08:21 AM   #123
anthonymoody

Sounds like the new PM should just about coincide with the TMo release of the 8700

TM
Old 01-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #124
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody
Sounds like the new PM should just about coincide with the TMo release of the 8700

TM
That's an interesting observation. I wonder if it's sheer coincidence? I guess a lot will depend on how close the two release dates are, but I can't imagine right now why the T-Mo release would have much bearing on RIM's desire to reach out to us Mac users. Other than the obvious reason that its partnership with IAA just wasn't ready soon enough for the Cingular release last November...

But that raises another question I've been stewing about: will this free version of PM be released to anyone that wants it? Or only bundled (either on a CD or via a download) to new BB purchasers? I paid for PM long enough ago that its sudden "freeness" doesn't hack me off, because I've gotten a coupla years' of use, but if it ends up only being free with new BBs sold after a certain date, and I gotta pay for an upgrade...

I keep surfing RIM's site, and PM's, for any hints about this newest upgrade, but haven't found anything yet. If readers find anything, please post it here!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #125
sedated
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

I would think the new version of PM would be free like the rest of their desktop software. I don't see why they would just start charging for it.

I could be wrong though.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #126
anthonymoody

Peznut,
It'll be interesting to see if there is any kind of joint press release b/t RIM re: PM and any of the carriers. TMo seems like a likely candidate from a timing standpoint. However, I wasn't necessarily implying that That said, could be. Re: pricing, frankly I'd be shocked if you had to pay to get the upgraded version.

TM
Old 02-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #127
tfaz1

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedated
I would think the new version of PM would be free like the rest of their desktop software. I don't see why they would just start charging for it.

I could be wrong though.
I wouldn't think so. But, I think we all know that *if* they update PocketMac with app loader, theme generator, etc. we would all pay for these features.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #128
clyde_turkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800r
Carrier: Robbers Wireless

Ok I have it going now. The MacBerry 7100 is very nice, but it does not respect Font changes in the Screen/Keyboard menu. I.E. list of messages is in MillBank eventhough the Screen/Keyboard setting is BBClarity.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #129
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfaz1
I wouldn't think so. But, I think we all know that *if* they update PocketMac with app loader, theme generator, etc. we would all pay for these features.
ABSOLUTELY, tfaz1. I've been longing for these "basic" features for a few years and gotta admit that, even if I gotta pay for it, I'd probably be among the first to pre-order it...

Still, that would prove less expensive than switching to a PC
Old 02-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #130
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody
Peznut,
It'll be interesting to see if there is any kind of joint press release b/t RIM re: PM and any of the carriers. TMo seems like a likely candidate from a timing standpoint. However, I wasn't necessarily implying that That said, could be. Re: pricing, frankly I'd be shocked if you had to pay to get the upgraded version.

TM
Okay, I'm definitely overthinking this issue now, because at work today, it struck me that if the RIM/IAA deal means anyone can get the latest version of PM for free, then RIM would have announced that it just purchased the program outright, right?? To offer as an enhancement to any BB/Mac user as a free download, accomplishing what it has not done all these years, i.e. a Mac-native version of its Desktop Software...

But the "partnership" angle announced implies to me that IAA still wants to profit from sales of PM somehow, which it's even doing right now by offering a link on its site that allows peeps to buy a new BB and receive PM for "free." So I can definitely envision the free PM being bundled with new BB units sold after a certain date...

Anyway, time will tell. I need to go lay down cuz my head hurts...
Old 02-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #131
anthonymoody

Yeah I like burning synapses on conspiracy theories too :D

My $.02 is that it'll be free, and pitched by RIM (and Apple) as yet another reason to get a BB . . . or a Mac.

TM
Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #132
MegaBit

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde_turkey
Ok I have it going now. The MacBerry 7100 is very nice, but it does not respect Font changes in the Screen/Keyboard menu. I.E. list of messages is in MillBank eventhough the Screen/Keyboard setting is BBClarity.
Unfortunately, we have to live with that due to the current Theme Builder software. There are a small number of issues and this is one of them. I suspect its the theme reader application that's at fault since the ROM-based themes respect font changes and they do not use the theme reader application on the unit.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #133
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by peznut
Okay, I'm definitely overthinking this issue now, because at work today, it struck me that if the RIM/IAA deal means anyone can get the latest version of PM for free, then RIM would have announced that it just purchased the program outright, right?? To offer as an enhancement to any BB/Mac user as a free download, accomplishing what it has not done all these years, i.e. a Mac-native version of its Desktop Software...

But the "partnership" angle announced implies to me that IAA still wants to profit from sales of PM somehow, which it's even doing right now by offering a link on its site that allows peeps to buy a new BB and receive PM for "free." So I can definitely envision the free PM being bundled with new BB units sold after a certain date...
For RIM to purchase the program outright, they'd have to have in-house Mac software developers to maintain/improve it. My guess is that they don't have in-house Mac software developers, or they would have developed their own Desktop Manager Software for Mac. So instead, they partnered with IAA.

The way the press release was worded makes me think everyone will likely be able to download it for free:
http://www.rim.net/news/press/2006/p..._2006-02.shtml
Quote:
This easy-to-access solution for Macintosh synchronization is expected to be available as a free download at www.blackberry.com beginning in February.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:36 AM   #134
BBSpike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell Mobility

I just checked the pocket mac website and they are now offering it as a free download.

http://www.pocketmac.net/products/pm...rry/index.html
Old 02-02-2006, 09:38 AM   #135
BBSpike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell Mobility

I don't see anything about an application loader though. Hopefully an update is coming soon.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:16 AM   #136
anthonymoody

Next version . . .
TM
Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #137
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Anyone tried free PM yet?

Has anyone downloaded this free version yet? I tried but IAA now asks for all of your contact info before it provides the download and a serial (unlock) number, and I just wasn't in the mood to screw around at the time because all I wanted to know if this is the updated version, or the same ol' 3.12...
Old 02-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #138
clyde_turkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800r
Carrier: Robbers Wireless

Don't bother, its 3.12.
I wasted my time registering.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #139
CanuckMakem

Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

I loaded pocketmac on my Intel iMac and it won't recognise my 7250. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #140
peznut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde_turkey
Don't bother, its 3.12.
I wasted my time registering.
Thanks, clyde_turkey! Because I couldn't find anything about a later version on PM's site, I figured it was the same stinkin' version...
Closed Thread