BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
mikelynch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Blackberrys and spam?

Please Login to Remove!

I am considering buying a 7100t soon, but wondered if there were any spam solutions out there for non-BES users? I was surprised to not find any other threads addressing this topic. I will be pulling email from several different email addresses (but not using BES). Right now I am not using any server-level spam filtering (too many false positives) but my Eudora does a great job filtering the spam on my PC. With a 7100t, it will be receiving all of my emails (spam included). Since server-level spam filtering isn't really an option for me I am concerned that I am going to get buzzed every few minutes for incoming spam. Is this a problem for anyone else? Are there any apps I can load onto the 7100t, or other work-arounds for the problem? If the 7100t is truly designed to appeal more to the cross-over consumer market without access to BES, Exchange, etc they will need to come up with a solution to this one!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:28 PM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

I've been fortunate and SPAM has been minimal on my BB, I myself don't use BES just BWC with my 3 POP accounts. This might not be the greatest of solutions but if you should encounter SPAM you can do as I do and setup filters within the BWC, it works really well and as I said it's rare I get SPAM on my BB anymore.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Do they make services that check your POP3 every say, 5, minutes and remove spam?

Also, does the BWC filter push email sent to @tmo.blackberry.net?

Thanks.

TM
Old 10-11-2004, 02:29 PM   #4
mikelynch

Default Blackberrys and spam?

Thanks finch. How do the BWC filters work? Do you just set them up manually to look for keywords, or is there a more sophisticated algorithm available? This may be good enough for my purposes.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

As far as I know, you configure them manually.

I've been thinking about this a lot - ultimately, the best solution would be for RIM to implement optional spam filtering right before messages were sent to devices.

IMHO, RIM should be paying more attention to spam.

TM
Old 10-11-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

My solution is to create new email addresses -- i.e. use spam-free email addresses.

I don't even have any spam filters. I get almost no spam now, thanks to some moves I made. I used to have an old "catchall" permanent email address for 7 years until year 2003, until the spam problem reached epic proportions.

I did a parallel transition between the spam-infested email address and the spam-free email addresses, both being downloaded to my same Inbox. All my replies to actual humans contained my new email address in "From:"

I started using separate email addreses for: Forum websites, online shopping websites, eBay/ForSaleTrade/Newsgroups/etc, Friends/work/family, etc.

The transition took about 10 months, because that's how long it took before virtually everyone started using my new email address rather than my old permanent email address. In late 2003, I de-activated my former "permanent email address". Spam problem was eliminated. (about 4,000+ spams per month fell to nearly 0 per month -- that's without a spam filter -- It was now safe to turn the spam filter off to eliminate false positives).

There has been two instances where I had to change my ForSaleTrade email address (eBay) because ti got on a spammer list -- but it did not affect my very important friends/work/family email address.

So, I do not even turn on my spam filter -- because of lack of spam :D

And I can safely turn on vibrate mode for every incoming emails; without being annoyed by useless email;
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-11-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

I run my own server for my business, and my clients. However, it's always good policy to keep an email address on a seperate server in the event my server fails and I need to communicate to get things back in order.

I've had [email address] since 1997 - it's been my primary email address ever since. I usually get about 400 spam emails a day to that address. Last night I finally inquired about a server-side spam solution which they enabled. Since then I've gotten all the email I was expecting, and about 3 spam messages.

So far so good.

As for my server, I use SpamAssasin, which works pretty well for me.

On top of all that, I use InBoxer (an Outlook plugin) to filter anything else out.

And for my 7100, I have [email address] forwarding everything to [email address]. I was originally going to leave it like this to keep junk on the 7100 at a minimum, but when I saw how little spam [email address] was getting, I decided to setup [email address] to forward to [email address] as well - this means I'll have personal.com's spam filter, AND company.com's spam filter.

All this work, just because of spam. Grr.

TM
Old 10-12-2004, 12:28 AM   #8
UrbanEvan

I was in your same position, and found that Outlook 2003 did a good job of removing my 100+ spam emails a day from four accounts. I got my 7100t this week and also setup a SpamCop address (runs SpamAssasin). I then forwarded all four of my important POP accounts to SpamCop, had the messages "cleansed" then had them forwarded to an obscure email address on my ISP. This is the only account I check now, and it is the only account my blackberry is setup to check via BWC. I have recieved 0 spam emails in the last week, missed 0 legitimate emails and have had good luck with the transmission times. Consider trying this approach or something similar. Check out www.spamcop.net
Old 10-12-2004, 07:55 AM   #9
mikelynch

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - I finally went out and bought a 7100t this afternoon after reading all of your posts. Unfortunately it's 7 hours later and I still don't have voice or data service working. Let's see how good tmo's customer service is at 1am....
Old 10-12-2004, 08:24 AM   #10
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'd expect voice within a few minutes of activation, and data within 24 hours. I know some people have reported almost instant provisioning, but for me, it took about 20 hours for data to work. I don't know about voice because I already had voice service before I got the 7100.

Good luck!

TM
Old 10-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
coallaw

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile

Am curious what you work out. I am using 7100t with web client, going into my pop3 account at office. We do not have BES. I get all of my spam right to my blackberry. I use SpamCatcher at the office and it works great to grab the spam off at my office - but I have not been able to find any such product for the blackberry, and even if I just forward the office account (through outlook) to the blackberry, that rule would kick in prior to SpamCatcher and wouldn't help me. So I have found no way to catch the spam - and it is all coming through my pop3 account right to my blackberry.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #12
coallaw

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile
Default spam

get an account with Runbox.com. Then have Runbox pick up your pop3 account and push it out to your Blackberry. That uses Runbox Spam protection.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:36 AM   #13
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

As I've offered before, I could do a very similar thing. Only difference is I wouldn't charge for it.

You'd setup your POP3 to forward mail to [email address], manage your SpamAssasin settings there, and then forward that to [email address].

That's what I do, and it works for me.

TM
Old 02-24-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
docbenway

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon
Smile The easiest Spam Removing I found

I realize I am new to the forum and apologize if someone has mentioned this before. I found Spam increasingly annoying on my 7130e. And because I used the Blackberry Web Client I couldn't count on server side filtering (but thats a whole other story as to why). I created a Spam email account with GMAIL. Their spam filters are the best I found. Forwarded my work email at the server to the GMAIL account and then had my Blackberry check the GMAIL account. To prevent duplicate email I setup Outlook to check the GMAIL account and then delete all messages from it.

I hope this helps someone.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:45 AM   #15
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I guard my email address as closely as my SS#
Old 02-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #16
r111

Model: 7100T

I use this service, 0spam.com, and it helps some. Unfortunately my t-mobile BIS account does not recognize the 0spam account settings -- I was hoping for the periodic BIS pole of my email box could be preceeded with a 0spam pole.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #17
enzo86

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint

if you run your own domain and mail server spamassassin is the best. It knocks out 99% of my spam and almost no valid email.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:24 AM   #18
cmand

Model: 8700c
Default Forwarding mail from Outlook to Gmail

I would like to forward my mail from 4 accounts (currently all dumping into Outlook) to Gmail then on to my Blackberry 8700c. I have to also be able to see my mail on Outlook as this is where I do most of my work and do not mind having to delete it off my Blackberry. I have set up a Gmail account and this will be the only purpose for this Gmail account.

In looking at my Outlook settings, I do not see an option for forwarding my mail. What is the process?

Last edited by cmand; 09-03-2006 at 04:39 AM..
Old 09-05-2006, 05:01 AM   #19
Joe V.

Model: 8350i
Carrier: NEXTEL

Here's what I do for my wife's POP email on her BB (I am on the BES at work).

A copy of all her POP email is auto forwarded to her SpamCop email address.

SpamCop forwards clean email to BWC

BWC pushes clean email to BB

Only her POP email is ever visible. Her '@blackberry.net' address is never seen.

JV
Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #20
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V.
Only her POP email is ever visible. Her '@blackberry.net' address is never seen.
This is one of the most important aspects of the whole thing. There's no spam filtering on the @<carrier>.blackberry.net address, so use another mailbox before it.

Zro
Closed Thread