Old 03-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
sirrvs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7750
Carrier: Verizon
Default Phantom Data Usage

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,
For some reason, even though I've uninstalled the browser and never use the BB for anything except phone and text messaging, I'm still getting charged for data usage. Is there some setting on the phone to completely disable data usage? What could possibly be using data if I don't even browse? Thanks in advance!

(On a side note, please don't respond by just telling me to get a data plan. I'm perfectly fine without it. Just wondering why I'm still being charged.)
Old 03-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I am pretty sure that text messaging uses data.....
Old 03-16-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
sirrvs

Really? I called Verizon yesterday and they said text messaging uses the phone system, not data. Then again, they weren't able to explain the data usage to me either.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Dusty Saddle
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrvs
Hi all,
For some reason, even though I've uninstalled the browser and never use the BB for anything except phone and text messaging, I'm still getting charged for data usage. Is there some setting on the phone to completely disable data usage? What could possibly be using data if I don't even browse? Thanks in advance!

(On a side note, please don't respond by just telling me to get a data plan. I'm perfectly fine without it. Just wondering why I'm still being charged.)
Is it possible that your Blackberry Web Client is still running and trying to send data to your BB?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

No, for Verizon at least, text messaging is completely separate from data usage. You could completely get rid of the BB data plan (which is not as bad idea if you're not using it) and still text message anyone you want.

If you don't have the data plan, you shouldn't be getting charged for data at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
I am pretty sure that text messaging uses data.....
Old 03-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Except Verizon will not let you have a BB on their network without a dataplan, the best that they will do for you is put you on a per use plan which means they will charge you on a per kilobyte rate which can be murder if and when you do try to access something even if by accident. Also bear in mind that the BB by its own nature will be accessing the network on its own specially if you have any software running likje BBToday, etal.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Not correct. Verizon does not require you to have the data plan for your BB. I could call and cancel my BB data plan right now with no penalty, no contract renewal, no adverse reaction whatsoever. If you're with Nextel, that's different. Nextel does require a data plan, but with them you can get just the data and no voice. Verizon is exactly the opposite. You have to get a voice plan, but you're not requried to go with a data plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Except Verizon will not let you have a BB on their network without a dataplan, the best that they will do for you is put you on a per use plan which means they will charge you on a per kilobyte rate which can be murder if and when you do try to access something even if by accident. Also bear in mind that the BB by its own nature will be accessing the network on its own specially if you have any software running likje BBToday, etal.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
sirrvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Correct. I am on a pay-as-you go plan for data (I don't think that can be disabled given what Verizon told me)...and it is murder. 15 cents a kilobyte. But I can even give you a list of the apps I use:

Phone
SMS
Memo
Password Keeper
BrickBreaker
Goro (Single-player puzzle game)
MemoPad
Calendar
Calculator
Ascendo Photos

Do any of those use data? Or are there hidden apps running on my BB that I can't turn off which access the network?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Well, I will say this because I don't want to argue what KonTiki and sirrvs have been told. I'm not in a position to do that. I have been told by the reps at my local Verizon store AND the ones at the call center that the data plan is not required for BBs or for any other PDA phone. Of course, they lose most of their functionality if you don't have the data plan, but according to what I've been told from multiple sources at Verizon, you can have a PDA phone/BlackBerry without a data plan. A colleague of mine has a Windows Mobile phone wih Verizon and does not have a data plan, so I know for a fact what I'm saying is true with non-BlackBerry PDA phones.

Maybe if you push hard enough they'll take it off.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #10
corey@12mile

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Try going in and deleting all the service books. It's the service books that will cause unknown traffic, as well as initially turning the device, it will try and register on the network. Both of those will generate data usage. Removing the service books will help, but as long as you have a GPRS connection, the handheld will try and register and use some kind of data.

cd.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 03-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #11
sirrvs

Right now I have:

IPPP for BIBS [IPPP]
Verizon Wireless [WAP]
Provisioning [PROVISIONING]
IPPP for 5 Click [IPPP]

Think I should delete those?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
markhutchison

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Wirelessly posted (7250/4.1.0.268, Bell Mobility: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

If you have a Pay-Per-Use BlackBerry data plan, you are charged for any data packets passed between your device and the network. It is quite likely that your device is sending (for lack of a better word) keep-alive packets to the network as part of the "always on" design.

Most carriers do allow you to remove all BlackBerry provisioning from your account and run the device as a simple phone. If Verizon does not allow you to have your account this way then try deleting all of the service books. If you're not using data you do not need them.

Last edited by markhutchison; 03-16-2006 at 06:03 PM..
Old 03-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
sirrvs

I think I now remember the cause of this problem. A few weeks ago I signed up for Mobile Web with Verizon. But in order to get the browser to appear on the home screen, I had to register my BB on the network in the host routing table. Before I did that, I don't recall racking up any kilobytes. So do any of you know a way to reverse that process? Or should deleting the service books be enough?
Old 03-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
obxvzw21

wrong thread

Last edited by obxvzw21; 03-17-2006 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: wrong thread
Old 03-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #15
markhutchison

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Wirelessly posted (7250/4.1.0.268, Bell Mobility: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

The best option is to have Verizon remove all BlackBerry provisioning on your account (which may not be an option).

Removing the service books will cripple the data capabilities of your handheld and minimize the potential for unwanted charges.

Smashing your BlackBerry with a rock will ensure that you never have to pay data overages again.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #16
sirrvs

Crap! Even after deleting the service books it's still racking up the KB's! I don't get it. I'm almost positive that before I registered the BB on the network I didn't incur any data usage. There's gotta be a way to de-register it.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #17
sirrvs

In case anyone else has the same issue, I was finally able to solve it by speaking to someone else at Verizon and telling them to remove the pay-as-you go data feature. No more data usage now.
Closed Thread