BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #21
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Well mate, the treo is a great concept, however, it's execution kinda sucked! I traded in my Treo 600 for a BB 7250 and have quite happy with this decision; don't get me wrong, overall I really liked the Treo, but like I said, they missed the targets alot.

Camera - Sucks
Phone - hope you live in an area with strong signal strength because the receiver is not great.
Sound - is good, MP3's play back well enough to be enjoyable
Email - not push, but you did say that it is not important to you

The third party apps are overwhelming and much cheaper that BB apps. The Treo is one of those things you either love or hate, it depends on how demanding you are on excellence in your technology; the Treo is on the right track, but has a way to go.

Why not hold out for the Treo 700? I've heard some really good reviews on it, I think they may have even gotten it right this time. Even sweeter with Windows Mobile OS.

Anyway, Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:16 AM   #22
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Don't forget to reboot!
Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 AM   #23
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (Why Am I Mr. Pink?: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I went from the bb to the pocket pc. So far i like th now that i have direct push. Also i am now testing a nokia n91 and getting my email thru that. Its a lot of fun with all there extra features namely the 4gb hd. pink
Old 03-30-2006, 01:17 AM   #24
tregrad
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmcgee
"Just like in New England that coupe is great, until winter hits. Then you wish you had a Hummer. "

The Hummer is a gas guzzler and Environmentally unfriendly vehicle.
I live in New England, and no thanks.

eddie
Sounds like a ride around jolly ol New England in the 'ol Yugo is in order LOL
Just dont take that blackberry that will disturb the electrical balance of the earths ora with you LOLOL
Do I hear a Rush Limbaugh SUV update theme song? "in a Yugo" If you havent heard it you must.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:51 AM   #25
Gareth.Hooper
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodacom

No wonder the Treo has so many issues....it's OS is a vulnerability like all the other OS's from the Vendor....how many patches and Service pack's will be needed to make it work? probably ongoing updates!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #26
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth.Hooper
No wonder the Treo has so many issues....it's OS is a vulnerability like all the other OS's from the Vendor....how many patches and Service pack's will be needed to make it work? probably ongoing updates!
Have you read the "what's fixed in this update?" list from BlackBerry when they release a new "OS" version for their handhelds?

It's just as huge as any other "Smart" device out there.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #27
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

hey its cool besisd giv it tim Im betting rim will have mutimedia options eventully lol
Old 03-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #28
aristobrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
hey its cool besisd giv it tim Im betting rim will have mutimedia options eventully lol
Yup.

I'm waiting for either:

RIM to get some multimedia options

or

a Windows Mobile device that's totally usable one-handed, has RIM-like battery life, has RIM-like durability (I haven't met a Windows Mobile Pocket PC phone that could take any sort of fall that a BlackBerry would survive), and the ability to sync with Domino.

I have a feeling it's going to be a RIM product that meets my needs first. ;)
Old 03-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #29
netwiz01
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 32B21BE5
Carrier: Sprint, Power up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Actually the Treo is more like a nice car that breaks down a lot.. Sorry you went that way.
That is hillarious!!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #30
netwiz01
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 32B21BE5
Carrier: Sprint, Power up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie8
I love my 7520 and would never consider switching to a treo.I have an mp3 player and a camera.I hope the treo thing works for you but if you were a true crackberry addict....you"ll be back.

Blackberrys rule!!

I agree. I have had my 7520 since 'day one'. I am an addict!!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #31
JDMarshall

Model: 7100i
Exclamation not giving it the right amount of thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISDBY1
i've had 2 7290's and both have broken down. There is no fixing them unless to subscribe to the the scam RIM calls their technical service package.

I won't be buying another Blackberry - the postor is better off.

I work in Retail (3 years now) for a company that sells Blackberry. I have had a few Blackberries in my time. I currently have the 7100i (Talk about not having features! I don't even have adp.) but i love it and will always Own a Blackberry. (unless they design a phone with a built in remote to shut stupid people's mouths. I Hate Stupid People!) Most of the customers that come in with Blackberries that don't work, don't know how to take care of there stuff. I mean seriously. Trashed almost all the time. Compared to other phones and PDA's, the Blackberry is a dream device. I've never seen a software defect that cant be fixed with a wipe and reload(hardware is another issue. but that normally comes from abuse, and don't act like you don't abuse it, even i drop mine sometimes!). and most of the time that the blackberry starts to give you issues is when people decide that all of a sudden they're programmers and they load a ton of third-party TRASH on the phones which is really stupid! Sorry, Enough venting! (retail sucks) Almost every Company has a type of Insurance that covers, yes, even blackberries. All i'm trying to say is that blackberries are one of the most Dependable devices unless they are tampered with. Thats all.

JDMarshall
Old 03-30-2006, 09:32 PM   #32
tlewsadder
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: at&t

my take on the 650 is that i love it for what it could be. it could be a great all in one device, unfortunately, asking one device to be great @ so many things isnt realistic. it was a love/hate relationship for me but in the end, i couldnt deal with the poor phone quality and unreliability of the device. i switched to a 8700c and love it.

to me it reminds me of my days of using a pc. although it is very expandible and has many more options,... a mac just works. it isnt great at a bunch of things but is perfect at the ones it is designed to do.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:19 PM   #33
donthateme13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlewsadder
my take on the 650 is that i love it for what it could be. it could be a great all in one device, unfortunately, asking one device to be great @ so many things isnt realistic. it was a love/hate relationship for me but in the end, i couldnt deal with the poor phone quality and unreliability of the device. i switched to a 8700c and love it.

to me it reminds me of my days of using a pc. although it is very expandible and has many more options,... a mac just works. it isnt great at a bunch of things but is perfect at the ones it is designed to do.

well said blackberries just work period no fine print. the problem with treo's and devices like treos is that they look good on paper but its not practical. any device that does 101 things doesnt do 1 perfect instead it does them all decent. look at history it speaks for itself. but their cool for a while and i hope u luck out wiht one that only reboots once a month
Old 03-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #34
kaberkaber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C

I don't know about you and your TREO, but I do plenty of jamming on my 8700.
Right now I listen to the Global Deejays mp3 clip on my site and southpark

Flash and video would be real nice though.

Last Update: August 6, 2006. Terra Patrick Wallpaper + new ringtone

PIN: 203CB747
Old 03-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #35
2ndHalfCor

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

To each his own. I was a PalmOS user for many years. They are great machines. I recently switched to a 7105t because I was tired of carrying two devices. I didn't even consider the Treo because of the cost and because my experience with email on my PalmOS devices (using both BlueTooth and WIFI) was inconsistent (read not too reliable). So far I love the email. The phone is pretty darn good, and the PIM is passable. The browser is excellent compared to the Palm. I miss some of my PalmOS apps, but it has been an excellent trade for me.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #36
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

I have been using more devices than you can imagine over the past 35 years and have never found one as stable and reliable as the Blackberry. It has never crashed, never needed rebooting, never missed an email, is a great phone and goes everywhere (cameras are denied in most courts and a lot of museums) I am a windows PC user only because MAC simply does not have the software I need. In my opinion, a windows based phone is like going back to Windows 95 and the blue screen of death. If you are interested in a toy, buy it, but if you are interested in business productivity - good luck
Old 04-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #37
imwillzillla

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Update: Well week one has been eventful to say the very least. (And trust me, i'm not exaggerating or making up anything in this post) The first two days of owning one, the directional pad had paint that started chipping. After returning it (the store I bought it from just swapped it out no problem) It's seeming like I'm learning things on trial and error. And I have had to reset about 5 times since owning this one. My BB 7100g is still sitting on my computer desk and everytime I get frustrated with the Treo I look over at the blackberry and if it could talk i'm sure "I told you so" would come out. Since I hate reading instruction manuals for phones (I usually purchase a new phone about every 6 months) I just wing most of it and now I can say the Treo experience is beginning to come along nicely. They don't have a forum like this one though...
Old 04-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #38
Blackcrack
No longer Registered.

Model: 7520
Talking

well srry to hear this but the treo is a good device any how
Old 04-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #39
aristobrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwillzillla
They don't have a forum like this one though...
FWIW,
http://www.treocentral.com
Old 04-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #40
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Ahhhh... the Treo 650. I used one for a couple of weeks and grew kind of fond of it (don't hate me BBF members for being a traitor). In some aspects the Treo was much more user friendly than the Blackberry. Spreadsheets, Word Documents, Conversational views for SMS (similar to AIM convos), Camera, Video, and External Memory Card (perfect for printing pics from a Kodak picture maker). However, it reset A LOT. How could I ever come to truly love a device that would sit on a desk, untouched, and reset itself???

There is much potential for the Treo line, however it wasnt in the 650. There were many downfalls to the Treo which started to show themselves as time progressed. Things such as a tempermental microphone that made it impossible for some people to hear me. Dropped calls due to a resetting device, a tempermental Hotsync cable, an applications menu that required 2 years of programming to understand how to completely remove all contents of an application, and much more.

The Blackberry has gotten progressively better in their devices (in my opinion coming from a 7290). EDGE devices and speaker phone, and did someone say there was a possibility of a camera on future models ????? *gasp* (unconfirmed reports, maybe even just someone wishfully thinking, although I wouldnt count the possibility out). RIM makes stable devices and that has always been a big factor for me. I want something I can drop, bang up, and still get a good life out of when the day comes to an end.

All I can say is good luck with you future purchase, I hope that you enjoy it better than I.