Old 04-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #81
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbastardocalvo
So what this sounds like it that it just plain works. Cool. I may have to give this a try.

How is the power consumption v. Chatter and/or other mail clients?
Well, I now have it installed on my Cingular branded and locked Treo 650. It works perfectly. I have been using the Chatter OWA client for email; I will do some informal comparison of battery consumption.

So far, though, I am really digging push email and calendar.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #82
Chris Taylor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

How did it handle the Enterprise Activation?

Our BES does not permit wireless EA -- the user must be connected via cable to perform the initial EA authorization.

Looking at the BES stats for my user account, I can see that the IT policies have been pushed, but there's no date/time in the "policies received" area, meaning EA has not completed successfully.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #83
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Taylor

Our BES does not permit wireless EA -- the user must be connected via cable to perform the initial EA authorization.

Looking at the BES stats for my user account, I can see that the IT policies have been pushed, but there's no date/time in the "policies received" area, meaning EA has not completed successfully.
I don't have access to our BES. I asked out IT guy to provision my account on the BES for activation of my Treo. He did, and I went through the installation process as set forth in the Setup Guide that I downloaded from the SingTel site. From what I understand, all of the service books and other settings get pushed via cable during the initial hotsyncs, so I would imagine that means it is all set up for authorization via cable (as opposed to OTA).
Old 04-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #84
iein

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Taylor

Activation was smooth. I used the Blackberry Connect Desktop client with my sync cable. I don't believe you can do wireless activation on the palm.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #85
iein

Quote:
Well, I now have it installed on my Cingular branded and locked Treo 650. It works perfectly. I have been using the Chatter OWA client for email; I will do some informal comparison of battery consumption.

So far, though, I am really digging push email and calendar.
What data plan are you using on Cingular (i.e. blackberry connect, regular blackberry, or pda connect)?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #86
boucherj

I was able to use the standard Cingular ROM with the BBC software and it is working!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #87
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iein
What data plan are you using on Cingular (i.e. blackberry connect, regular blackberry, or pda connect)?
blackberry connect. It creates a new network conenction on your treo.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #88
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Did it work for someone who is NOT connected to a BES?

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 04-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #89
shadowrtype

Model: 71003

Does this actually sync your calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes to the Palm databases over the air?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #90
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrtype
Does this actually sync your calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes to the Palm databases over the air?
Calendar and email. Contacts, tasks and notes do not sync OTA.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #91
iein

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnst
Did it work for someone who is NOT connected to a BES?
I tried using BIS and it does NOT work. Only BES with this particular version.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #92
shadowrtype

Model: 71003

Quote:
Calendar and email. Contacts, tasks and notes do not sync OTA.
Is there a feature for Gloabal Address List lookup since contacts are not synced? I just discovered how to use that on my blackberry today and eliminates the need to sync my contacts.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #93
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrtype
Is there a feature for Gloabal Address List lookup since contacts are not synced? I just discovered how to use that on my blackberry today and eliminates the need to sync my contacts.
Yes there is. Works well.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #94
jiffer

Model: 8800
Carrier: o2

how does it handle web browsing? On the SE P910 you had to first suspend the Blackberry before browsing and then restart when finished?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #95
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffer
how does it handle web browsing? On the SE P910 you had to first suspend the Blackberry before browsing and then restart when finished?

Same thing here. This may be a deal breaker for me, because you have to shut down the BBC service to check non BBC email, as well. I have a few non BB email accounts that I check periodically, and I don't like the idea of having to check them manually.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #96
sting0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: dash
Carrier: tmobile

From what I understand is that you don't need to shut down the blackberry service to browse the web. It will automatically switch connections for you. Try to make an internet connection with the blackberry active. This is how it work on the pocket pc version as well and people on treocentral were saying it works the same way. Now I am wondering if I should snag my wifes treo and try it for a goof. I am currently using an MDA with bb connect.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:41 AM   #97
jiffer

Model: 8800
Carrier: o2
Talking

Thanks for that. The reason I was asking is that I wont receive the 650 until next week but have all the blackberry software ready to go (thanks guys for the links).

I currently have the Blackberry 7100x and have been waiting to see which device (ie XDA mini S or Treo 650) would have BBC first....and the winner is

Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #98
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting0r
From what I understand is that you don't need to shut down the blackberry service to browse the web. It will automatically switch connections for you. Try to make an internet connection with the blackberry active. This is how it work on the pocket pc version as well and people on treocentral were saying it works the same way. Now I am wondering if I should snag my wifes treo and try it for a goof. I am currently using an MDA with bb connect.
That was not my experience with my Cingular Treo. I think the folks on Treocentral were using a Sprint Treo.

Last edited by elbastardocalvo; 04-20-2006 at 09:44 AM..
Old 04-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #99
Chris Taylor

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers
Default Figured out the problem

I figured out what the hold-up was.

The BES Server v4.x has the ability to support both AES and 3DES encryption, however the BBC client can only support 3DES. If your BES is configured to only permit the more-secure AES encryption, the BBC client will fail to download the appropriate policies and enterprise activation will not occur.

The BES must be configured to support 3DES, or a combination of 3DES and AES. AES alone will cause the BBC to fail.

No failure messages will be indicated during BB Connect client setup, however the failure will be obvious once you look at the Event Viewer on the BES server. It will indicate encryption failures delivering packets to the device with the T650's PIN.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #100
elbastardocalvo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting0r
Has anyone gotten BBC on a Cingular Treo to work as set forth above? My installation requires me to shut down BBC and open a MEdia Net conenctionl then reverse the process.