BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #1
BlackBerry Fairy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Default IM+ 7250 and Bell Mobility Services

Please Login to Remove!

I am in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and I downloaded IM+. I've gone through and read a number of posts regarding being able to use IM+ (http://www.shapeservices.com/eng/im/BLACKBERRY/) with the 7250. I am finding some can use it with the 7250 and some cannot.

I've called Bell data services and they said that I would need to get a BES. Well I can't afford that. I am looking at another solution, even the WAP version. But even that didn't work.

I would like to know if anyone (anyone!) has been able to get IM+ working on their 7250 whilst using the Bell Mobility Services in the Greater Toronto Area. Is this even possible, or should I consider the PocketPC?*

Note: I know there was a person who could not find the TCP/IP option in their settings. It seems I can't either. I went down the list and could not find it. Anyone else have the same problem or have solved it?

Thanks everyone.

I love this forum. Good to be back again after being away for so long. BTW, even if you don't have the answer, a shout out to all GTA'ers out there!

*Mind you this will now mean I would have to change forums and call my avatar to PocketPC Fairy <--it just doesn't sound right. So I need an answer.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Have you updated your OS. Might be under Advanced Options>TCP/
Old 03-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #3
CanuckMakem
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 205DDA2C
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry Fairy
I am in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and I downloaded IM+. I've gone through and read a number of posts regarding being able to use IM+ (http://www.shapeservices.com/eng/im/BLACKBERRY/) with the 7250. I am finding some can use it with the 7250 and some cannot.

I've called Bell data services and they said that I would need to get a BES. Well I can't afford that. I am looking at another solution, even the WAP version. But even that didn't work.

I would like to know if anyone (anyone!) has been able to get IM+ working on their 7250 whilst using the Bell Mobility Services in the Greater Toronto Area. Is this even possible, or should I consider the PocketPC?*

Note: I know there was a person who could not find the TCP/IP option in their settings. It seems I can't either. I went down the list and could not find it. Anyone else have the same problem or have solved it?

Thanks everyone.

I love this forum. Good to be back again after being away for so long. BTW, even if you don't have the answer, a shout out to all GTA'ers out there!

*Mind you this will now mean I would have to change forums and call my avatar to PocketPC Fairy <--it just doesn't sound right. So I need an answer.

You're pretty much SOL mate. Bell, like Telus, restrict access to IM software. The only one I can use is Google Talk... which does work really well.

I'm pretty fed up with it and will be switching from Telus when my contract is up as I feel I should be able to use IM as I'm paying a crapload of money each month for "unlimited data"
Old 03-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
BlackBerry Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Have you updated your OS. Might be under Advanced Options>TCP/
I've got v. 4.0.0.204. and I don't see the Advanced options...
Old 03-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
BlackBerry Fairy

CanuckMayhem,

LOL, I love the avatar name he he hee...

I use Google Talk as well and it works good. At this point your comment is well stated and that's what I sorta thought...Bell arrrrrrrrrrgh!

All my friends are on AOL or MSN and I feel like the nerdy kid who has the crappiest bike out of everyone in the group. I hope they update something.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Not sure what Bell is waiting on? Telus fianlly opened their backend ports to allow for third party app communication. For now the only work around on Bell is to subscribe to a third party BES host.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #7
BlackBerry Fairy

So, if I happen to get MDS, so will that mean I will be able to use IM+ ?

Or is it a total incapability of the Bell BlackBerry/Services?

<confused>me</confused>
Old 04-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
~Mark~

Model: 7250

I got Yahoo Messenger to work on Bell with no BES or third party server.

Downloaded it from:

blackberry.com/YahooDownload/

Selected 'Provider not in the list'

Then downloaded directly into the BB from USB

I don't know why it works as an appliction which, I assume, uses ports but other apps can't. Maybe they have deal with Bell or something.
Closed Thread