BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Default Recent 1XEV Success with Sprint???

Please Login to Remove!

It is general knowledge that some are succssfully using EVDO with their Sprint branded 7250s. It is also no secret that some are having a heck of a time getting the PRL update to take successfully.

Looking at the threads here and at howardforums it seems like no-one has been able to get the prl update to take over the last 3 weeks. All the success happened back in March.

I am starting to think that Sprint may have locked their network down and are not going to allow further access. Kind of like what they did with the PPC-6600. Gave it and then took it away...

If you have gotten onto the EV network with a new PRL update within the last 3 weeks please post!

Thanks

-Rob
Old 04-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

EVDO was never available for the 6601. It is fully available for the 6700.

EVDO will be officially supported on the 7250 May 1st.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the May 1 info.

Although the 660x was never officially supported there were a bunch of us that were using it successfully with modified prls. That was until sprint locked out all 660x esns.

I get nervous because sprint said numerous times that they were going to support these devices but obviously they never have. They have even given some 6700s for the confusion.

I guess we will have to wait and see. I just wish there was a good explanation as to why people were able to update their 72d0s a month ago but no longer any more...

Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
southwestcomm

The 6601 doesn't have an EVDO capable radio set. Don't know how you made that work.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
braz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
EVDO was never available for the 6601. It is fully available for the 6700.

EVDO will be officially supported on the 7250 May 1st.

So does that mean my replacement will FINALY take the PRL update I have ANOTHER trouble ticket opened today. My last 2 were closed with nothing being done. When i questioned Sprint/Blackberry support about this all they did is apoligize for the inconvience.

braz
Old 04-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
jarcherky98

Default Try muting the phone

Not sure if this helped me or not, but I muted the phone when I downloaded the update. I was also on the phone with the BB support people from Sprint, not sure if they did anything or not. I did have to call several times (like 20) to get the prl to take on the phone.

Also I had to add the power vision plan before I got evdo. Didn't want to argue if I needed it or not, so I just have it on the plan. Evdo works really well on the phone, sometimes the phone cannot process the information as fast as it is downloaded, but all in all it works.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
southwestcomm

Power Vision is not necessary. It is the data plan for CDMA handsets and PDA devices. All you should need is the standard BB data plan.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The 6601 doesn't have an EVDO capable radio set. Don't know how you made that work.
It sure does! It was the first phone with an evdo radio available in America. Sprint has chosen not to support this device.

Verizon has full evdo support on their vx660x which is identical to the ppc-6600.

There is absolutely positively no question that the 6600/6601 sprint phones have an evdo radio.But we are getting off topic...
Old 04-23-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
burrholes

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Power Vision is not necessary. It is the data plan for CDMA handsets and PDA devices. All you should need is the standard BB data plan.

sprint doesn't give you a choice.... power vision was required when i purchased my bb 7250, even with my previous unlimited vision plan.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
southwestcomm

Check again. The only plan required on a BB is a BB plan. You got duped.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #11
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcherky98
Not sure if this helped me or not, but I muted the phone when I downloaded the update. I was also on the phone with the BB support people from Sprint, not sure if they did anything or not. I did have to call several times (like 20) to get the prl to take on the phone.

Also I had to add the power vision plan before I got evdo. Didn't want to argue if I needed it or not, so I just have it on the plan. Evdo works really well on the phone, sometimes the phone cannot process the information as fast as it is downloaded, but all in all it works.

When was this? Were you able to get the update to take recently?

thx
Old 04-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #12
phantomtech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcherky98
Not sure if this helped me or not, but I muted the phone when I downloaded the update.

After trying many times to get the update to take, I too muted my phone then the update took. Don't know if it really helped or not, but it seemed to work for me also.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomtech
After trying many times to get the update to take, I too muted my phone then the update took. Don't know if it really helped or not, but it seemed to work for me also.
When was this?

This whole PRL update can be a little confusing. Sprints system is not perfect and usually takes a few times before it typically works. Even up to 15-20 times is not uncommon for success.

The real problem at this point for the BB 7250 is when you have tried 50+ times and it still does not work. I think a few of us are at this point.

Have you gotten the update to take recently, say April?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #14
jtor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: T a day if I ever get out of here
Carrier: AT&T

Herexxx8217;s my SPRINT story sad but true...

I had two 7250xxx8217;s and updated the code on both to 4.1

Made sure the account was properly set up for EVDO

Device #1 PRL update took on the second try. 1XEV no problem and browsing speed excellent.

Device#2 PRL update fails over and over again. Update has failed at least 50+ times over the past week. To make matters worse device #2 belongs to my manager.

I actually have direct contact with someone in the SPRINT mobility engineering group. They have no idea whatxxx8217;s wrong.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

So it sounds like device 1 was updated recently.

Device 2 sounds like mine.

I have talked to 6 local techs, CS, tier 1 and tier 2 tech support with no luck.

Maybe something will change in May with the official release.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #16
pjdrsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

Mine is still working on 1XEV. I updgraded right around the time the posts appeared about it and it has maintained 1XEV since then. I had to redial for the PRL update 4-5 times, but it finally took. Only time it has dropped out is when I have traveled out of the city, but it always seems to get right back on when I get back. Sorry to hear so many problems still exist. Hopefully May 1 will be a good day for everyone.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #17
KMK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default EVDO data plan?

>> Made sure the account was properly set up for EVDO

That may be the trick. I just got off the phone with Sprint-BB tech support, I think Alec was his name. He was clueless, at one point telling me that the 7250 did not support EVDO, but willing to listen and work the problem. He said that PRL 10030 is the latest version and that was why my updates weren't taking. (So my first question is for those of you have been able to make this work, what is your PRL version?) After about 1/2 hour of nonsense he chimes in with this beauty:

"The only other thing I can think of is to put you on the Blackberry EVDO data plan."

The what!!!!??? You mean I spent 10 hours working this problem and nobody told me about this plan!!!??? He tells me it's $5 more than the regular data plan and only available for certain accounts. He then tells me I'll have to sign a new contract before he can activate it. I've been out of contract for about a month and if I make a committment to anyone, it'll be Verizon. He basically said he couldn't work around that requirment and thanks for calling.

If it's real, this might be a way for some of you to get EVDO. Has anyone heard of this plan? Any success with it?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

You are right about one thingn this guy has no idea what he is talking about.

You should be able to add anything to your account w/o a contract extension.

Evdo prls start with a 2. So he was not seeing your device as evdo.

I have a powervision plan so that is not the root of my problem.

Thanks for the info though. Hopefully we will be able to get to the bottom of this!
Old 04-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #19
ndirish2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK
>> Made sure the account was properly set up for EVDO

That may be the trick. I just got off the phone with Sprint-BB tech support, I think Alec was his name. He was clueless, at one point telling me that the 7250 did not support EVDO, but willing to listen and work the problem. He said that PRL 10030 is the latest version and that was why my updates weren't taking. (So my first question is for those of you have been able to make this work, what is your PRL version?) After about 1/2 hour of nonsense he chimes in with this beauty:

"The only other thing I can think of is to put you on the Blackberry EVDO data plan."

The what!!!!??? You mean I spent 10 hours working this problem and nobody told me about this plan!!!??? He tells me it's $5 more than the regular data plan and only available for certain accounts. He then tells me I'll have to sign a new contract before he can activate it. I've been out of contract for about a month and if I make a committment to anyone, it'll be Verizon. He basically said he couldn't work around that requirment and thanks for calling.

If it's real, this might be a way for some of you to get EVDO. Has anyone heard of this plan? Any success with it?
Typical Sprint CS rep. Clueless and arrogant at the same time. What an awful combination.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #20
phantomtech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850

Quote:
Originally Posted by robber
When was this?

This whole PRL update can be a little confusing. Sprints system is not perfect and usually takes a few times before it typically works. Even up to 15-20 times is not uncommon for success.

The real problem at this point for the BB 7250 is when you have tried 50+ times and it still does not work. I think a few of us are at this point.

Have you gotten the update to take recently, say April?
It was a while ago. I have the 7250 also and it took like 16 times to get it to go. It finally went when I muted the phone while I called *2 and did the PRL update.
Closed Thread