BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #81
tfaz1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, I'd really like to know why this holster doesn't have a rubber piece inside the clip. When David posted to announce their 8700c clip, he specifically pointed out the rubber piece on the clip.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...dio+8700c+clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio
There is a rubber part at the under side of the top clip. This will prevent 8700 being scratched.

David Chang
Seidio
[email address]
So now I'd like to know if I should be using this thing at all, being that it lacks the rubber lining that the 8700c holster has. After all, why would Seidio bother putting one on their 8700c model if it wasn't necessary?

I'm a little annoyed, because this was one of the biggest reasons for purchasing the Seidio model. It was advertised as being padded as to not scratch the BB. Judging by how easily the RIM holster scratches the BB, I have little doubt that this un-padded clip will eventually take paint off the top of my 8700g.

Last edited by tfaz1; 05-03-2006 at 03:03 PM..
Old 05-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #82
stileshingles
Thumbs Must Hurt

I haven't recieved my holster yet but I'm not concerned about the rubber piece for two reasons:

1. I'm pretty sure that area is covered by the BestSkinsEver total body skin that I have on my 8700g.

2. Notwithstanding #1, after spending 30 minutes installing the skins on my 8700g a few nights ago I had a moment of self loathing when I realized how much I cared about keeping my toy scratch free. I vowed to obsolve myself of concern of superficial scratches on my precious toy.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #83
tfaz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stileshingles
I haven't recieved my holster yet but I'm not concerned about the rubber piece for two reasons:

1. I'm pretty sure that area is covered by the BestSkinsEver total body skin that I have on my 8700g.

2. Notwithstanding #1, after spending 30 minutes installing the skins on my 8700g a few nights ago I had a moment of self loathing when I realized how much I cared about keeping my toy scratch free. I vowed to obsolve myself of concern of superficial scratches on my precious toy.
Your points are valid, but for this:

1. I shouldn't have to buy a skin to protect my device from a holster designed to protect my device.

2. If I did subscribe to your vow not to worry about keeping my BB scratch free, then why bother getting this Seidio holster in the first place? The RIM holster is good enough, if a little damaging (cosmetically) to the BB. I could've saved the $30 and spent it on OCD councling.

Seidio should be happy there are those of us who care so much about comedic damage. Without us, their market would be a lot smaller...

Last edited by tfaz1; 05-03-2006 at 09:32 PM..
Old 05-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #84
skyman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none

It's actually not that big of deal I don't think. The rubber would be nice but the clip is fairly soft and flexible which will reduce the chance of scratching. Also it only seems to make contact in a couple of small places. I put a tiny piece of black electrical tape on the clip that makes contact. I'll see if the tape stays in place or needs to be replaced too often. If it does, I'll just take it off.

It's still a great case and am looking forward to using it.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #85
darwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmo

Mine came yesterday, got it last night. I'll post my initial usage thoughts by this afternoon/this evening.

Looks good but the top clip feels like it's going to cause wear if I pop it in without holding the clip up. no rubber, but it is slick.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #86
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: TMO

Same as darwin, got my -g holster, I was initially concerned about the lack of rubber padding at the top hinge, I'll use it for a day or two and report back.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #87
Winston S.

Model: 8900

I received my holster today also. Everything seems good except for the missing rubber piece. I may try to glue or tape something soft to the under side of the top clip so that there's less abrasion when I clip it in.

All I need to wait for now is the bestskinsever.com total body skin I ordered.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #88
rickl144

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Tmobile

I just got my 8700g holster yesterday, and likewise it is missing the rubber piece. Given that this was a highlighted selling point for the 8700c and everyone in this forum expected it on the 8700g model, I'd say we are entitled to an explanation. Maybe they rushed production and left out a manufacturing step? Methinks Seidio should send everyone affected by this an adhesive-backed rubber piece to alleviate the concerns, or take some other customer-friendly step.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #89
tfaz1

I emailed David Silver at Seidio about this yesterday afternoon, asking if the rubber piece was intentionally omitted from the 8700g model. I haven't heard back from him.

I appreciate the pre-sales presence here, but the post-sales support has really been lacking.

Last edited by tfaz1; 05-05-2006 at 01:04 AM..
Old 05-05-2006, 02:23 AM   #90
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Hi,

Both David Silver and me were on a business trip. I just got back now. 8700G holster can not have the rubber piece like 8700C because the tip of the speaker on 8700G is in the way. It is just not feasible to have a rubber piece like 8700C. However, if you lift the top clip during in and out process like what specified in the manual, it should not scratch 8700G. Even you do not lift the clip, we have especially polished the underside of the clip to prevent the possible scratch due to contact.

David Chang
Seidio
[email address]
Old 05-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #91
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Just got the holster for the 8700c. On first glance, I love it.

I think that the importance of the rubber strip may be overstated. My holster (for the 8700c - fits the 8700r great) has the rubber strip and it's only relevant at the point where the clip has fully fit over the 8700. It does not come into play at all during the process of one-handed putting the 8700 in and out of the holster. Like David said, it's the polished undersurface of the clip that touches your 8700 during that operation.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #92
skyman

Model: none

I agree. After using the clip for several days the rubber doesn't seem necessary. Just to be sure I put a little black electrical tape on the back of the clip just at the spot it touches the bb, but that doesn't really seem necessary.

Thanks for producing a great holster. I recommend it.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:22 PM   #93
tfaz1

I agree as well, at least after a couple of days of use. I'll reserve final judgment until a few weeks, which is roughly how long it took for the Launcher to mar my 8700c.

I think it all comes down to expectations. When Seidio created the 8700c holster, David specifically mentioned that they included a rubber piece on the clip to protect the 8700 from scratches. So, when we got our 8700g holster and saw that they omitted this element, of course we wanted to know why.

So far, I've been pleased with this product. Especially yesterday when I had to sprint across a busy intersection and was confident that the Seidio holster would secure my 8700. If I was using the Launcher, I would've used one hand to hold my 8700 (just in case).
Old 05-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #94
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

The launcher scratched up my -g after 2 days.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #95
FightingDevil

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck
The launcher scratched up my -g after 2 days.
I'm thinking that RIM should officially rename the stock 'holster' as the 'Launcher', or as I've stated on a previous post:

The POS BB Launcher

LOL
Old 05-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #96
Winston S.

Model: 8900

I'm still a little weary about taking out and putting away my 8700 in the Seidio holster as the clip does rub on the 8700 as it is inserted and removed.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #97
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Winston - Obviously it's going to be a personal thing but I've been popping my bb out of the seidio for the last couple of days constantly and I haven't had any issues with it and like I said above, after the first day I started noticing the abrasions on the launcher.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #98
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Yeah I was definatly skeptical of the seidio, i love the rim oem holster but it didnt fit with my 8700g extended batt so I tried this, its and no problems, just dont like how high up the holster sits on my belt, wish it was down more..

The Boy Genius Report
Old 05-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #99
stileshingles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
just dont like how high up the holster sits on my belt, wish it was down more..
I agree. I like the Seidio holster, but I do prefer how the OEM "launcher" rides lower on my belt.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #100
tfaz1

I think time will tell with this one. True, it is possible to insert/remove the 8700g without rubbing it against the Seidio clip. But -really- it's not the easiest way to use the holster. I've found that the easiest way to insert the BB it is to slightly raise the clip with one finger and lock it in place my pressing the 8700g against the holster. This is where a little padding would go a long, long way.

As far as Boy Genius' comment, I agree that it does sit a little high on my belt. This is actually quite nice when sitting (especially on a soft chair or couch). So perhaps this is truly a feature and not an oversight.
Closed Thread