BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
kcwilliams

Model: 7520
Default Setting up BIS on Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

In the past, I set up all of our users on BWC with a nextel.blackberry.net address. I push the exchange email to the blackberry. When sending from the blackberry, it was "Sent As" the exchange address, and everything worked fine.

Now that we're forced to "upgrade" to Sprint, I have a major problem setting up a new blackberry user.

1. If I try to set up with sprint.blackberry.net address and change the "Reply To" field to my exchange address, I cannot send from the Blackberry. It just never goes, or I get a rejection notice.

2. If I try to setup as POP account, it refuses to work with my pop service. I can successfully setup pop account on Outlook and Outlook Express, but BIS fails. Doesn't give a good reason, just that it can't communicate with the server. Our pop account is setup to use SSL authentication.

3. I have one user that I've successfully setup Mail Connector on (not great, but ok). My new user that I'm trying to setup is on a laptop that will not always be in the office. So I tried setting up Shared Mail Connector. It fails too. Says the settings are not right, but there is no other way for me to set it up.

So, currently I have the exchange server pushing email to the blackberry.net address. If the user sends any email from it, people will be replying to the blackberry address and not the exchange one, and it's going to be a nightmare.

What can I do? Are there other people having the same problems? Level 2 Blackberry Support said oh well, there's nothing else we can do. "We don't guarantee it to work with every email account."

Thanks,
Cindy
Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

Call nextel/sprint back and ask them to speak w/ RIM - they should be able to find out why you can't add it as POP - you should be able to if you can set it up in Outlook

have you tried using OWA?
have you enabled the mail connector for sharing? (you may need to edit the setting on the original account to do this)
Old 07-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
kcwilliams

Default Reply to BERDucky

Thanks for reply BERDucky.

I forgot to add, can't get OWA to work with BIS either, even though I can use OWA from anywhere on the internet . No matter what I try it will not integrate.

Yes, the Mail Connector is shared on the original account.

Could there be something on our mail server that needs to change?

My co-worker and I have each spent more than 2 hours on the phone with nextel/sprint support and got nowhere. Neither rep would let us talk to anyone else even though we said their answer was not acceptable and we needed to talk to someone else. Is saying let me talk to RIM really going to get me anywhere? I don't think I can handle the frustration again.

Thanks,
Cindy
Old 07-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
kcwilliams

Default New Information

After reading something here, I did this (using our real addresses of course):

1. Trying to setup: [email address]
2. Set BB to integrate with [email address]
3. Set BIS From address and Reply to address to [email address] for the yahoo account.
4. Mail sent to [email address] is forwarded to [email address]

I can successfully send to an earthlink account, and it looks like it came from [email address] reference to [email address] at all. Yay!

BUT...I cannot send to my corporate email from the Blackberry with this setup. Yahoo mailer daemon rejects with this if I send to [email address]:

The following message to <me@domain.com> was undeliverable. The reason for the problem: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'<you@domain.com>:Sender address rejected: Blocked'

So I backtracked and setup a sprint.blackberry.net the same way and tried it again. I got the same rejection from [email address] (yesterday I got no rejection, it just didn't go through). I can send to my earthlink account this way too with no problem.

So the problem seems to be on my domain.com side. Anybody know what I need to change to allow this to work?

Receiving has never been a problem, it's only sending that's a problem.

Thanks,
Cindy

Last edited by kcwilliams; 07-12-2006 at 09:34 AM..
Old 07-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

If they won't transfer you to RIM then insist to speak w/ a sup - they shouldn't deny you support if they cannot resolve the issue

If you can get to OWA from outside work then you should be able to add to BIS - there maybe something minor causing the issue - like page taking to long to load or too many emails in the inbox
Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
kcwilliams

Default Finally got through to RIM

They finally put me through to Level 3. When I finally got level 3 on the phone they put me through to RIM after just a few minutes of investigation.

I think the problem of doing the "send as" is a result of a spam filter service we are subscribed to that prevents spoofing. So if we can get that resolved it should work to use the blackberry.net address with the domain name as From and Reply To.

However, even RIM couldn't get OWA or POP working...and had no explanation either. I think they are "researching" it, but I don't hold high hopes of them figuring it out.

I at least have a RIM case number and a direct phone number (for use with this case number only) so I can call them without going through Level 2 if we can't get it fixed with the spoof thing.

We don't want to turn spoofing off completely. I'm hoping I can add some exceptions to allow spoofing from certain addresses.

Thanks for the reply!
Cindy
Old 07-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
kcwilliams

Default Got it Resolved

Spoof Protection was enabled on the spam filter service we subscribe to. Once we turned that off, we are able to send to our corporate network from the blackberry (sprint.blackberry.net) address with Send As/Reply To set to our corporate domain.

Of course, that creates other potential issues, but it did fix this problem.

Thanks for the help,
Cindy
Old 07-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

can you set it up so that spoof protection is enabled but white list blackberry.net? in otherwords have it as an exception to your rule

i'd recommend whitelisting just blackberry.net - not sprint.blackberry net in case you have other users on different carriers (either now or in future)
Closed Thread