Old 02-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
pdxchick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default 7250 data priority over phone - help needed

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

I am starting a new topic to make sure I am not missing something. I switched from the Treo 600 to the 7250 on Verizon. When I am accessing data, all calls go to voicemail. This is absolutely unacceptable to me. On my Treo, when I was checking email (which was more of a fetch/send option), the process would be interrupted by an incoming call, which I had the option to answer or ignore. Not true with the BB. As someone who gets lots of calls, I want to change the priority.

Called Verizon data service tech support twice today about this. First rep said it is a known issue, lots of people complain about it, and they are working on it. Second tech said sorry, can't be changed at the carrier level and that the device does not allow you to prioritize phone over data. Is anyone else affected by this?

I went on to ask the reps if you could configure how often the data activity occurs, to try and minimize the conflicts. Nope, they said, that can't be configured either.

I love the 7250 but if I can't get around this, I will have to keep it for just email or go back to the Treo (and the numerous quality problems I've had resulting in swapping out units).

Please help or let me know if i am missing something. I logged off of Verichat and am not browsing. I get about 10-15 emails an hour and do over 3000 voice minutes (peak) per month.

Thank you.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Sorry man, but blackberries just aren't designed to operate that way.

Your best bet is to turn off all network applications (verichat, bbtoday, etc..). Also, blackberries, unlike your treo, aren't "polling" type devices. They don't log in every minute to check for new emails. New emails are automatically pushed to the device. So the only time it is using the network is when you are actually receiving an email. If you are using BWC, I think this time is every 15 mins.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
gaskippy

My Verizon corporate salesperson tried to talk me into a second line. He said that 75 - 80% of his BB customers use a second phone with their BB. I am going to try the 7250 without. If I start missing to many calls then I will get a second phone. How many people out on this forum use a second cell phone with their BB?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
OnTheRun
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Too bad... I really like the 7250. It's much faster than my Cingular 7290 and the phone quality seems considerably better. I'll give it a few more days but I think that this is an unacceptable problem. For that matter, I wonder what happens if you get an email when you are connected on the phone.

Also, battery life has been terrible the first day but I am hoping that will improve with several discharge-charge cycles.

If I have to carry a second phone, I'll go back to my V710 and my Cingular 7290.
Closed Thread