BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
sphen

Model: 7130c
Carrier: cingular
Default 7130c with constant issues - freezing etc.

Please Login to Remove!

im new to having a blackberry - as i have now had one for the last 3 weeks or so. love the device and it hooks into my companies BES system quite well. for the form factor and everything i went with the 7130c which i love - at least in concept. yesterday i went to my local store to get my 4TH! device in 3 weeks!! everyone i talk to says there have been no issues with them for anyone etc etc. but not in my case.

the first two had issues freezing up all the time. at least once a day it would be on a grey screen with the backlight on and totally unresponsive. i have to pop the battery out when this happens. a few times i caught the freeze with the grey screen and in very small type it said "DSP frozen" in the middle of the screen and allowed me to click the wheel for a reset. the first two had identical freezing. i attempted to talk to blackberrythrough the advanced data support at cingular to no avail. they just said that there is no new software for the device and i must have a bad one. so i went back and they changed both my blackberry and sim card. i thought i was golden.....

but on this one it would drop service randomly. it would go into "No Service" and turning the device off and on would not help until i popped out the battery. ridiculous. it also would not connect to the EDGE network and just have it in low case letters alot of the time. so i talked to cingular again - they said the sim was fine, everything looks normal and eveything points to the device. so as a last stab, i went to another store in case the first store just had a bunch of bad ones to see if it would work. everything seemed great - no service issues for the first 24 hours... then i just looked down and the thing had the grey locked screen. Now this device is definitely different than the others - has a slighly difference feel to it and has a different battery.. so it has to be a different batch. im at my wits end and i dont want a huge thing like the 8700...

dont know what im looking for here - maybe just to get my story out - but i would think if these are this bad i cant be the only one. unless im the only one who is actually using it.

-frustrated.

also.. one other thing that i have noticed on the first 2 and last one is that it only seems to crash or freeze when i am in an area of poor service... any ideas?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
rebelmix
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

mine is great except for the "DSP ERROR" i have gotten a few times

first time the phone was just sitting there

subsequent times have all been when it was connected to my car charger- so there may be a link, but the first time def. not

this was the same thing- grey screen, little box with a line and DSP ERROR

required a battery removal to reset

i don't have much in the way of other apps installed
Old 07-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
tmj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

I travel through no service areas pretty regularly. About 1/3 of the time, I have to pull the battery to get it to re-connect when i'm in service area again. It doesn't freeze up the device, just can't re-connect to cell service. Didn't havew the problem with my 7290. Don't know whether its edge or 7130 specific. You definitely shouldn't be crashing, though.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
ItsAllVerbatim
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphen
the first two had issues freezing up all the time. at least once a day it would be on a grey screen with the backlight on and totally unresponsive. i have to pop the battery out when this happens.
I, too, am experiencing this.
Namely, the incredibly annoying greys screen. It only occurs when I'm tethering though...and that is, admittedly, quite frequent (1-2 hrs /day) I leave it on doing a number of tasks and pulling things down while I iron, watch TV, do laundry, etc.

I have a 7130c on Cingular, and it is my sole internet connection at the moment, and it works great.

I just cannot, for the life of me, fathom what is causing it to reset and pop up that grey screen. It's never hot to the touch or anything, so it's not overheating...any ideas?
Closed Thread