BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:55 AM   #21
saitoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

I have seen in my experience that legacy Blue (AT&T) phones are never unlocked, even though they are branded Cingular phones.

I've tried many times to get Cingular to unlock my 8700c to no avail, same answer every time after repeated transfers. Will they do it through the method of going through RIM? Seems like it would make sense... I'm just not sure it's possible. Anyone have input?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #22
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

I just wish my 8700r could be unlocked. I've tried 2 online sites (both refunded me) since they couldn't get an unlock code for my IMEI. I am contemplating an unlocked 8700c now.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:57 PM   #23
limoonux

Model: 9500
Carrier: Base

Hello, i have mine unlocked for a price,mail this guy,maybe he can help [email address] Regards
Old 08-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #24
txschafers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek_riot
Ok. I've got another rep who says the same thing as the first but says he'll get me in contact with the people who handle unlocking. then he says (and this seems a little weird), that the unlock dept will give me a code, but that when i follow the steps to unlock, it wont work!

::confused::

I had my 8700 with Cingular unlocked with no problem. As long as you have had service for 90 days they do it. I travel internationally and after telling them that I had the unlock code and procedure e-mailed to me in 48 hours.

Actually I am doing a warranty replacement on my phone so when the new one arrives I will be unlocking that one as well.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #25
geek_riot
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

This is weird, I was finally able to get someone (on Aug. 11) to 'fill out the forms' for unlocking. They said up to five days. Since the average around these forums is about 2-3, I called on the 4th day, and was told 'the paperwork is there, it takes 5-7 days', so I called on the 5th day and was told 'paperwork, etc, but it takes 5-10 days'. It's now been 6 bus. days. I called international customer care, to no avail.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:43 AM   #26
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Quote:
This is weird, I was finally able to get someone (on Aug. 11) to 'fill out the forms' for unlocking. They said up to five days. Since the average around these forums is about 2-3, I called on the 4th day, and was told 'the paperwork is there, it takes 5-7 days', so I called on the 5th day and was told 'paperwork, etc, but it takes 5-10 days'. It's now been 6 bus. days. I called international customer care, to no avail.
Let me ask you a couple of questions. First do you have int'l roaming activated on your account? How long have you had your BB active on Cingular (as their rule is that the same unit has to be active for 90 days)? Also make sure that your account is in good standing and the pest time ti call (once you met the other requirements is after your bill is paid.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #27
geek_riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
Let me ask you a couple of questions. First do you have int'l roaming activated on your account? How long have you had your BB active on Cingular (as their rule is that the same unit has to be active for 90 days)? Also make sure that your account is in good standing and the pest time ti call (once you met the other requirements is after your bill is paid.
I am within all of these parameters. But since Cingular is being such a pain, I just purchased the darn code from GSMPhoneSource
Old 08-22-2006, 03:58 PM   #28
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I am within all of these parameters. But since Cingular is being such a pain, I just purchased the darn code from GSMPhoneSource
Sorry you had to go that rout. My advice to all is to always call int'l care directly and if one is on a Business related account it is also recomended to camm the B2B department. When I called them on my first one, they gave it to me on the spot (no wait) and the second time for the replacement (due to a bad speaker) they also gave it while on the phone and they stayed on to make sure that it worked.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #29
geek_riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
Sorry you had to go that rout. My advice to all is to always call int'l care directly and if one is on a Business related account it is also recomended to camm the B2B department. When I called them on my first one, they gave it to me on the spot (no wait) and the second time for the replacement (due to a bad speaker) they also gave it while on the phone and they stayed on to make sure that it worked.
This is what I hear from many people on these forums regarding an unlock code from Cingular. It is almost always withing 24-48 hours.

Unfortunantly Adam @ GSMPhoneSource was unable to get a code for me, so I've contacted Cingular again. But am again being told that it could take up to "2 weeks."
Old 08-24-2006, 03:28 AM   #30
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
This is what I hear from many people on these forums regarding an unlock code from Cingular. It is almost always withing 24-48 hours.

Unfortunantly Adam @ GSMPhoneSource was unable to get a code for me, so I've contacted Cingular again. But am again being told that it could take up to "2 weeks."
this would propably mean they do not have the updated data base for the new IMEI's of new deliveries. My friend called them a day later after he got his 8700c they said it was not a cingular provided one and he told them he has the receipt that shows that he did buy it from one of their corp stores. In the end they accepted the argument and said 2 weeks too. He did not receive it by then and he called back into int'l care and they did it right in the phone. Well after calling some Cingular contacts the cotact came back with the explanation of data base update of new IMEI's and that it takes a week or so for the systems to update. I would say wait a week or so and call back again.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #31
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

My Cingular rep said that Cingular wouldn't unlock any BBs, but I called after 90 days and was told the code would be send (email) to me. I called in about a week or so to check status and they had the code, just hadn't emailed it. They read it to me over the phone and I installed it.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:59 AM   #32
jayshen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I got my bb8700c unlocked in the first week after I received it...the CSR just read it to me over the phone...I told him I was planning a trip overseas...
Old 08-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #33
gages
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

Silly question, why would one need/want to unlock when traveling abroad?

I have had no issues roaming internationally with my 8700c, when out of the US, on the network selection screen it allows you to change carriers.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:10 AM   #34
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

I have an International SIM that i use on my BB. yes I don't have the BB email functions but all else is there and this way I don't have to carry another phone on me.