BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #21
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

What model Treo? If you're on Sprint then the 700wx could be your Treo. I went from Blackberries (7230, 7730) to Treos (600 GSM, 650 GSM) and now back to Blackberries. I went for the SD card storage, but since the Pearl is coming out in a few hours I get my Blackberry and external storage too! I much prefer the email on the Blackberry, even over the aftermarket email app for the Treo I bought, Chattermail. Be warned, there are stability problems with the Treos. Perhaps the 700wx has addressed this with double the memory of the last model, but on the 650 series it pushed me away and back to the Blackberry. And the Treos are really freakin' heavy.

Last edited by rambo47; 09-11-2006 at 10:24 PM..
Old 09-11-2006, 11:09 PM   #22
No Longer Registered.

Man, I was really sad reading the first few posting. Feels like I was watching a chick-flick show, with the guy falling out of love for Babe Berry co'z he saw's Palmela's beautiful and radiant face. And it my mind... "you jerk, you dump me for her looks? Just wait when she gets wrinkled and gray and falling asleep before you can even play with her" .. yeah like a typical Palm crashing in on you.. only in a bad way.

But then Milkman, finds out that what he really loves was Babe Berry, dependable and supporting. And they live happily ever after.

We'll miss you.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:42 AM   #23
Milkman
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Lots of nice posts! Thanks...

Funny that you used Pam Anderson as an example, Cat... You make me feel like I am going to Treo for the nice face and body, but once I get it, I will get Hep. B!!!! L O L

I will most certainly be back to Blackberry. I assume it will be in the year 2012. I will be 2010 when Blackberry comes out with a phone that has all of the features that I want, and then 2 years more for Sprint to get it....
Old 09-12-2006, 06:08 AM   #24
Kriz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Good luck dude..I did the same flipping sides 3 times and after countless resets, and software issues I am back for good. The other thing that was a pain is everytime I went into a business situation for work I had to leave the Treo at security because of the camera...and it is a lame one! Also the durability is not as good on the case as the BB...I don't think you will find a post about survivor treo ... see you soon
Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #25
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

As someone who left the BlackBerry world, and was dragged back somewhat reluctantly, I have to say I hear you. There are so many things about the BlackBerry that just don't make any sense compared to the other mobile platforms. It is also amazing to me to see how loyal BlackBerry customers are when I have a hard time thinking of any company except maybe Apple who pays less attention to the desires of their customers.

Palm OS is a great OS, and it is like having a huge weight lifted off your back to be able to use a handheld with a real OS and real applications after getting away from the BB. Unfortunately, do be prepared for a major hit on stability, and a major hit on battery life. Also, at least in my opinion, the keyboard just isn't that great, and a touchscreen on a phone makes for some odd input situations occasionally.

That said, if it was entirely up to me, and price were no object, I would go with a basic phone like a RAZR and a Bluetooth/WiFi Palm like the TX over a BB any day of the week.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:04 AM   #26
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I agree with NJB, you will be back.

The Treo is like a pretty girl that has turned your head. You will tire of her and return to your wife who has picked up after you, washed your clothes and raised your kids.

I know but I have come back.

I am no one to talk as I am going to pick up the new Blackberry Pearl at the T-Mobile store today. Will be porting my number from Nextel to T-Mobile. Lots of features and pretty.

Kinds of like another pretty face but lets look at it like it is my wife's sister!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #27
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

As someone said, hold on to the BB. We're running 3 Treos on a BCEE server and ~ 29 BBs on a BES server and I spend A LOT more time supporting the Treos. My experience has been:

Treo
Setup, configure apps, troubleshoot, configure apps, troubleshoot...

BB
Setup, configure apps, done

The Treos may have more to offer along the lines of apps but the BB is just plain solid
Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #28
secrecyguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz
Good luck dude..I did the same flipping sides 3 times and after countless resets, and software issues I am back for good. The other thing that was a pain is everytime I went into a business situation for work I had to leave the Treo at security because of the camera...and it is a lame one! Also the durability is not as good on the case as the BB...I don't think you will find a post about survivor treo ... see you soon
With all the camera cell phones out today, people who pay to go to a music concert will have to leave the phone behind.

You can not bring a camera to majority of the music concerts.

The reason is, they don't want people to take pictures of the rock band and than sell it.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #29
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

See ya later -- you obviously have money to throw away. Chances are you'll be buying the Pearl once it rolls down your carrier, or maybe you'll grow the balls to switch carriers that actually carry good devices.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #30
Proth3uS
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 2MANY
Carrier: T-Mobile, AT&T

i traded my bb for a t-mobile mda and i came back to my bb, you will prob. do the same with the treo
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #31
pierre15208
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmlloyd

Palm OS is a great OS, and it is like having a huge weight lifted off your back to be able to use a handheld with a real OS and real applications after getting away from the BB. Unfortunately, do be prepared for a major hit on stability, and a major hit on battery life. Also, at least in my opinion, the keyboard just isn't that great, and a touchscreen on a phone makes for some odd input situations occasionally.
The problem with the PalmOS is that it has fallen so far behind Windows Mobile in terms of multitasking(Palm OS still doesn't do it), multimedia support, and other areas. While the BB OS and WinMobile have upgraded at least one generation in the last three or so years, The Palm OS is still putting out patched up versions of its old OS5. How old is OS5? Four, five years old? No one even knows if there will be an OS6 or whether Palm will go to Windows or Linux as had been rumored. I have a number of Palm devices, and yes they are for the most part stable and easy to use which is the hallmark of Palm, but compared to WinMobile, even with all its problems, the PalmOS is lagging far behind. I have found the BB OS to be quite stable and solid in the short time I've been exposed to it, and I can only guess that as BlackBerry moves more into the consumer market with the Pearl, such issues that cause it to lag behind the Treo will be resolved.
http://moonlightscribbler.blogspot.com
Old 09-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #32
Milkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
See ya later -- you obviously have money to throw away. Chances are you'll be buying the Pearl once it rolls down your carrier, or maybe you'll grow the balls to switch carriers that actually carry good devices.
This post was uncalled for.

Lets start at the beginning. No, I will not be buying an 8100 because I hate Suretype, plus there are numerous things that need to be worked out. I don't expect it to roll down to my carrier any time soon, so until then, I will be just fine.

Next, I want EV-DO - the only carrier that has EV-DO in my area is SPRINT. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Milkman; 09-12-2006 at 10:48 AM..
Old 09-12-2006, 11:15 AM   #33
kelvin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
I have to agree with Milkman - that was really a jackass comment.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #34
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin
I have to agree with Milkman - that was really a jackass comment.
Just like you said RIM was behind the '8 ball', i decided to say whatever I wanted about your switch.

Enjoy your Treo. It's a fun toy. (and it really amounts to a very expensive toy). When your sick of it, we'll see you back once your carrier gets their act together.

By the way, what will you be doing with your EVDO access?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #35
Milkman

Quote:
Just like you said RIM was behind the '8 ball', i decided to say whatever I wanted about your switch.
There is a difference between what I said and what you said. But if you don't believe me, look at any other PDA type device out there, and you will see that Blackberry is really lacking on features. You don't have to look hard to see this.

And of course I know that Blackberry has stuff that no one else can offer, for example - e-mail push, durability of device, stability of OS, etc. I understand that I will be losing these things, and after careful consideration, I decided that I would be ok to lose those in lieu of what I would be gaining.

I will be using EVDO access for several functions, from remote access (via VNC), to downloading drivers for customers, to looking up phone numbers in my Treo. A wide multitude of functions. Heck, I may even download pr0n.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #36
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Good luck! My experience with the Treos is that they're like having a nice car that's in the shop all the time. Hope you fare better!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #37
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
There is a difference between what I said and what you said. But if you don't believe me, look at any other PDA type device out there, and you will see that Blackberry is really lacking on features. You don't have to look hard to see this.

And of course I know that Blackberry has stuff that no one else can offer, for example - e-mail push, durability of device, stability of OS, etc. I understand that I will be losing these things, and after careful consideration, I decided that I would be ok to lose those in lieu of what I would be gaining.

I will be using EVDO access for several functions, from remote access (via VNC), to downloading drivers for customers, to looking up phone numbers in my Treo. A wide multitude of functions. Heck, I may even download pr0n.
All told we know that the blackberry doesn't hold a candle to the 'human candy' of the Treo. That is, if all one wants are flashy features and doesn't care how the rest goes. I've seen many other devices on the market.. on paper they try to compete, none even come close to the Treo or Blackberry in execution. And the blackberry sits alone on it's side with the rock solid data execution.. (the treo not far behind though)

I and many others are here for RIM's strengths, obviously the eye candy comes second.

Now the pearl is out, and it brings (on paper at least) the candy that many humans crave.. while keeping the data as solid as ever. (minus the qwerty keyboard).

Also can't discount the third party software on the Treo, likely the microsoft OS offering comes in quite strong too.. seems you are in it for that too (VNC, etc)

you made your choice, go with it my friend, and enjoy, but report back soon, the Blackberry will catch up, just give it time.. =)

oh and encourage another carrier to move to your area, that really is the biggest crux of any consumer -- not having choice.

The next year or two are going to be pivotal in the Data PDA market.. more device choice is imminent.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #38
cynep

Model: 8100T
Thumbs up Don't leave - here's why

Well, I hope I got good news you were looking for. You can now have a blackberry and eat your cake too! Erm, I mean Ev-do. Verizon will ofer it this sunday. Here's the good news:

Quote:
Sascha Segan - PC Magazine

Sept. 11

Verizon announced the BlackBerry 8703e today, the first BlackBerry handheld to have both a full QWERTY keyboard and the speed of EV-DO mobile broadband networks.

The 8703e is very similar to the 8700c for Cingular and the 8700g for T-Mobile: a new-generation BlackBerry with a full keyboard and bright, 320-by-240 color screen. Unlike the BlackBerry Pearl, though, the 8700 series doesn't support MP3 or video playback.

The big deal here is EV-DO support, especially when combined with Web browsing on the 320-by-240 screen. You can also use the 8703e as a laptop modem, with a USB cable and a special data plan. Verizon's BroadbandAccess Connect modem plan costs $15 per month if you have both voice and data service already, and $30 per month if you're a data-only BlackBerry user.

Verizon's EV-DO network, which typically gets download speeds between 400 and 800 kbps, is five or six times as fast as the EDGE network used by the Cingular and T-Mobile versions of this handheld.

The new BlackBerry enters a crowded field for handhelds on Verizon Wireless, including the less expensive Motorola Q, two Palm Treos, and the PPC-6700. But the traditional BlackBerry ease of use and built-in push e-mail functionality will set it apart somewhat. Previously, Verizon's only EV-DO BlackBerry was the 7130e, which uses a hybrid SureType keyboard which doesn't have a full QWERTY layout.

The BlackBerry 8703e will cost $349.99 with a two-year contract and will be available on September 17.
Source: abc news
Old 09-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #39
cynep

Model: 8100T
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy
I don't know if I should laugh or what. The 8100 that is coming out tomorrow and it is going to blow away the Sidekick 3.

I won't be surprise if I see some Sidekick 3 owners end up getting the 8100.
Just got the 8100 and it's going back to the store. Here's why:

1. Small screen. too small to be practical, smudge magnet, and looks to be made out of same plastic as iPod Nano. Expect scratch nightmare stories to emerge in 5... 4... 3...

2. Completely useless in direct sunlight - the screen has such a glare that even in shawdow outside its hard to read

3. super-quiet ring (even loudest) does not work well enough

4. Flimsy keyboard and definitely not as convenient as QWERTY

5. Speakerphone, while available, is too quiet to be useful in say... your car (unless you have one of those super-quiet, super luxury cars that are like sensory deprivation chaimbers).

6. Overall feels fragile

7. "Blah" for eyecandy attempt. Reminescent of Sony Ericson interface - all form, near 0 function.

Don't believe the hype.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #40
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

You know, I really get tired of all these "it is flashy" or "lured by the candy" posts, and I'm not even the one switching! The BB is lacking on all sorts of very real and substantive fronts compared to any modern PDA. It isn't "candy" it is a quite straightforward lack of features and options.

Something like being able to send and read HTML formatted emails is hardly a matter of "candy" it is in many cases the difference between legible, and illegible!

By the same token, I can make lists of entire careers where you practically can't use a BB, because there isn't a single business tool to address that segment, where a Treo (be it Palm or Windows Mobile) has scores of apps targeted at that segment.

The inadequate language support of the BB makes it almost unusable for anyone who does international business.

The lack of any way to view inline graphics in an email makes it cumbersome for anyone who has to deal with any bulk of images for their work.

The refusal of RIM to provide a way to securely integrate the device with any standards-based IMAP server is bordering on insane.

The minimal GPS support makes it a poor choice for location based applications.

The almost nonexistent media capabilities make it next to useless for creative professionals.

The BB is very good at what it does, but it doesn't do much. Sure, the new 8100 addresses some of these things, but these are all things that haven't been a problem on Palm or Windows Mobile for literally years! Yes, the BB is stable, but then a pocket calculator is really stable compared to a PC. It is easy to maintain stability and battery life when your device has a fraction of the features of every other device on the market.

If all you need is a PIM, a phone, and basic email, then the BB is fantastic, but if you need anything more than that, then moving away from the BB isn't a matter of being "lured by fancy features" it is a necessity! You could wait half a career for RIM to get around to implementing a feature you want. Just look at how long people have been asking for removable storage.
Closed Thread