Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:56 AM   #21
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

I guess I am a hip hop type then I cant live with out my nextel 95% of my daily business is done through nextel worth every penny to me
Old 07-19-2005, 08:17 AM   #22
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by racarusotheoreo
IF, IF, IF.
IF I decide to forward the .mil through Blackberry Redirector. Most likely I will not - doesn't mean I won't. They frown upon this big time, though.
But in the Navy nothing sensitive or worthwhile - not even POD's - are transmitted over .mil ANYWAY - it's all DHTML based through the Intranet - and has a similiar UI to Google's GMail. The point is that it is accessible inside the outfit and not outside. Even the terminal itself requires a valid DoD ID and even then you have to have proper identification and PIN's - which are changed on a bi-weekly basis. So stop with your chatter.

We are on Internet2. Some of the IT departments have plain Internet (a T3 line for each workstation - HP Kayak's, I believe).
I'm not some IT whiz. I know what I grew up with and tinker with. I didn't come here for you to try and lecture me on the fine points of the .mil accounts - which HAVE NEVER BEEN USED TO TRAFFIC SENSITIVE OR FLASH-TRAFFIC IN THE FIRST PLACE.

This is not "24". I am not Jack, and Chloe is not going to send me highly compartmentalized information via .mil. That is you and your ridiculous thinking. That's not only a lapse in security - but among my circle here, that's cause to get laughed at.
It's a IMAP server, man. [The .mil server in MD] Does that scream "US Gov secured and approved by the NSA" to you? I think not. The NSA is still demanding I turn over my iPaq and my Treo650 to them for "inspection" - meaning checking the read /writes on the SD card.

BTW, the safest computer is a computer that isn't connected to outside networks at all - 'nuff said. Most aren't and are strictly Intranet among the interior of our workspaces. And we don't use Wifi - I have yet to see an outfit that does. It's all CAT5. 10/1000 cards.
You don't have to pretend you're the expert here.

I was just pointing out that you said someone was sacked for going to eBay, and it sounded like you wanted to get a BlackBerry mainly for the ability to view outside sources of data without doing something similar.

If it was because of a prohibition on accessing classified information on a machine that is touching the public, I'm saying that you may not want to have your office email sent to the BlackBerry in case the local security policy applies to email as well as browsing.

And, I've see Wireless networks in use at the Pentagon, and DISSA. I was merely trying to point out that you may want to talk to someone else before you start mixing and matching your Internet access with other devices if they're so uptight about it.

I wouldn't have brought it up if it weren't for your touching tale of eBay use. Also, can someone tell me who Jack and Chloe are?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:20 AM   #23
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racarusotheoreo
http://www.blackberry.com/news/press..._08_2002.shtml
Explains how (back in '02) NSA secured specialized portions of the UI and customized it for DoD.
That was when I first heard of it, but I was still in DEP and not gone to boot, never mind recieved posting. Plus, I was making sweet love with my Treo 270 GSM

But you guys definitely turned me.

From the article:

BlackBerry Meets Department Of Defense's Advanced Wireless Security Standard

RIM Works With National Security Agency To Provide Support For The S/MIME Email Security Standard And To Meet The Department of Defense's Increased Security Requirements

Waterloo, ON - Research In Motion Limited (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced that it is working with the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) to meet the Department of Defense's increased security standards with support for S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) on the BlackBerry™ platform. S/MIME is an important email security standard designed to meet stringent security requirements of organizations. RIM is providing a customized version of BlackBerry software with S/MIME support that will be used by the NSA. The NSA will deploy this standard on BlackBerry Wireless Handhelds™ used by various government organizations including the Department of Defense. RIM will receive incremental licensing revenue on a per user basis.

"The BlackBerry wireless solution is popular among organizations today because it provides back-end integration and meets the strict security requirements of IT departments," said Don Morrison, Chief Operating Officer at Research In Motion. "The BlackBerry platform already supports end-to-end Triple DES encryption for corporate customers and has been awarded the FIPS 140-1 security validation for government customers. With today's announcement, RIM will now be able to meet the Department of Defense requirement for S/MIME and PKI support."

S/MIME is an email-system independent, Internet standards based protocol that utilizes public key cryptography to provide writer-to-reader security, including confidentiality, message integrity and sender authentication. This technology extends the security of existing mail systems with writer-to-reader encryption and allows for secure communications between individuals in different organizations running similar or different email systems.

The NSA is a U.S. Government technology organization focused on advanced cryptologic activities. The NSA collects, processes and disseminates foreign intelligence information while protecting and supporting U.S. communications. BlackBerry support for S/MIME is the first initiative that RIM and the NSA have undertaken together. RIM and the NSA plan to continue working together to address the unique requirements of security conscious organizations such as the Department of Defense.
Well then keep in mind you can't use S/MIME without a BES.

That is an article about the S/MIME support in the BlackBerry, which will give you encrypted email site-to-site, not just over the BlackBerry network.

You don't automatically get S/MIME because you have a BlackBerry. You'd have to be on a BES and get key exchange setup between people you communicate with, and add them via the Certificate Manager on the BlackBerry.

I think I'm on the only person on this board that has ever done that.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:22 AM   #24
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

As for RSS on the BlackBerry, you may want to consider Bloglines Mobile (or use Bogle's Berry Bloglines application) so that your feeds are in sync on the desktop and the 'Berry.

Otherwise you end up having the same feeds on multiple workstations, devices, and get a lot of repeating cruft.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #25
racarusotheoreo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 650TR
Talking To Chrip Or Not To Chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai
As for RSS on the BlackBerry, you may want to consider Bloglines Mobile (or use Bogle's Berry Bloglines application) so that your feeds are in sync on the desktop and the 'Berry.

Otherwise you end up having the same feeds on multiple workstations, devices, and get a lot of repeating cruft.
Indeed. I'll keep this in mind.
I'm amazed at how quick the answers are.
And I hate abusers of Nextel - the public chirp conversations when a normal phone call would be fine.
A business transaction or deal-brokering is fine - I'm referring to when you have members of the military trying to chat it up with some girl from shore leave - publicly - for all to hear.
No, I like the chirp itself - it's the incoming IM "prompt" on my Treo setup.
Sorry for the confusion - I don't just do things because they are hip...
Old 07-19-2005, 08:35 AM   #26
racarusotheoreo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 650TR

Quote:

That is an article about the S/MIME support in the BlackBerry, which will give you encrypted email site-to-site, not just over the BlackBerry network.

You don't automatically get S/MIME because you have a BlackBerry. You'd have to be on a BES and get key exchange setup between people you communicate with, and add them via the Certificate Manager on the BlackBerry.

No, no, you misunderstood me. Rather, I didn't explain myself fully.

This is for my own personal use (3 GMail accounts and a paid Yahoo POP account). It will probably never be included in my work ever. This is totally leisure, non-work related email.

No, I came here to ask because I knew there ARE people like you that contract on the outside - and that's better than asking IT, who would rather everyone have Palm Vx's and leave it at that.
They have to approve everything you buy and then use in the enviroment - personal or otherwise. Sorry for the confusion. I mean, you know that already.

Last edited by racarusotheoreo; 07-29-2005 at 11:18 PM..
Old 07-29-2005, 02:58 PM   #27
jmocnr

Model: 7200t

Another good RSS reader out there is FreeNews from www.freerangeinc.com/freenews It is also in sync with your desktop so you don't end up reading up on things over and over again. Right now I'm using Newsgator with it and it's been working just fine!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #28
Richard Forbes

Model: 7290

Actually oreo, You have passed on more information on SOP in these last two days then many drunk sailors do in a week. Thank god your not a "Jack". What would the NCIS think of your rantings.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #29
bbgirl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

Quote:

glad to see that you are confident about it..

care to share your setup and configuration?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:21 AM   #30
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgirl
glad to see that you are confident about it..

care to share your setup and configuration?
I don't use a BBerry anymore.

But I successfully used S/MIME on bberry for over a year. It was just a matter of having the certs installed and the support package.

Your local BlackBerry administrator can assist you.