BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
starzky

Model: 8100
Talking Thinking bout gettin the Pearl....

Please Login to Remove!

First of all, this would be the very first Blackberry that I will be owning. I've always wanted to get a BB but since all the BB devices have always been so bulky until now!!! So, if all you Pearl owners could so kindly please give me some of your secret tips on how to use my Pearl to it's full pontentia. It would be greatly appreciated...(Also, this would be my very first post here..)
Old 09-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to BB Forums.
I have a Pearl. It's the first Suretype (small keyboard) BB that I've been able to stick with.

First - you will hear about bugs. They are there. This is the first version of the OS released and I expect/hope for a new revision shortly.

I really like the Pearl. Small; compact; brilliant screen and faster than earlier Suretype models.

All BlackBerrys excel at wireless, secure e-mail. Pearl is no different. Synchronization with Outlook and other PIMs is identical (and great) as with all BBs.

Decide if you can live/deal with the Suretype keyboard. It is an acquired taste. In the past (7100t, 7105t) I lasted no more than 3 days with the Suretpee keyboard. The Pearl seems more intuitive and so far (11 days) it's still here. My 8700 is not far away

Not sure what else you are looking for. Just one person's opinion.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
mortys11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers
Default first berry

i think if the 8100 is anyone's first bb, they will love it. They wont have to adjust from the 8700 or 72xx model habits they are used too.

enjoy

i am still on the fence...need to see and feel a working unit..i will wait for rogers to release the 8800 and compare....i hope its not a long wait
Old 09-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I would agree with NJB. The bugs so far for me haven't been show stoppers, just stuff that is more mildly annoying that performance impacting. I personally like Suretype, but everyone has their own preferrences, and the keypad/trackball combo is inituitive and easy to learn. I came from a 7100t, and the enhanced visibilty of the display, added onboard memory and access to EDGE make the upgrade worth it, let alone the cool whistles and bells that everyone is talking about ( camera, music player, etc).

Last edited by ndub33; 09-25-2006 at 02:50 PM..
Old 09-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
nita
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl

I agree with all the previous comments. I have owned 3 different BB, and so far I like the Pearl best of all. I will admit it takes some getting used to, and there are a few minor bugs that ned to be worked out, but overall its one of the besr gadgets I have ever had!!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Coach Lon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I am a newbe too, and the 8100 will be my first BB. The reason why I want this one is three fold-I need a functional calendar with internet access for mail, I want a camera function, I want an MP3 player. I'm hoping BB will overcome the issues I've read about not being able to listen to music through an earbud--I thought that would be a no brainer and included, and I agree that bug will be worked out by the time it becomes available on Cingular, which is my preferred carrier. My wife has an 8700 and loves it-her first BB too. One last reason why I want an 8100---the size works best for my lifestyle and business (I need to be able to wear it on my hip when not driving).
Old 09-25-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

i say go for it bud!

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 09-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
sunnyyan1

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

I might be one of very few that actually switched from 8100 to 8700.

Bought 8100 first and exchanged to 8700 24 hrs later. Like the build quality of 8100 and size of 8100, but can't live with it daily for its small screen and browsing limitation with small keypad. Wish I own both.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
My 8700 is not far away
It probably knows that...that's why it's behaving...
Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
flat7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Default Suretype

Don't be scared away by Suretype. Once you get the hang of it you'll love it, much faster and more accurate the the multi-tap method. I'm still using my 7100t, going to wait a few months for the bugs to filter out before I get my Pearl.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #11
Yo55arian

I just switched from the T-Mobile MDA to the Pearl. The Pearl is a great form factor.

1. The rollerball is a great compromise between not having a touch screen and still being able to navigate around the screen.

2. Size and heft are much improved.

3. I've been using it pretty heavily and the battery life seems pretty weak. Maybe a full day at most.

4. The suretype is great. I don't miss the MDA keyboard at all. I just use it like it was separate keys and it is very usable. Passwords and addresses are still a pain, but they were almost as bad on the MDA anyway. It is really an ideal compromise between size and function. Way better than t9.

5. The BB email experience is highly overrated. I've been using the Pocket PC interface and wondering what I was missing. I can tell you now -- nothing. The wireless sync is very idiosyncratic. If you move something from your inbox on your desktop to a pst, it stays in the inbox of your BB. I guess RIM never thought any business users would use PST files? Also, the BB puts all your emails and SMS messages into a single inbox. This is very annoying if you have seperate emails for home or work. Or if you use SMS for important, timely matters, but have a large volume of work emails you want to deal with when you have time. There is a hack you can do to use a Vodaphone theme that breaks out your SMS messages, but it is very ugly and still mingles your work and personal emails. Some BB users I have discussed this with consider this a feature, so if you have been looking for everything routed to a single inbox, this could be a benefit. But I really wish I could break them out.

6. It can't stream media. I've been using MS devices to listen to internet radio for years, but the BB device will only play local files. And only unprotected files. So if you use one of the WM subscription services (Urge, Yahoo Music, etc.) you are out of luck, as far as I can tell.

After about a week, I really wish I could have the Pearl form factor but run MS smartphone OS.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #12
El Blackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

My take: Sad as it is...pathetic actually. Went from a 7230, to a 7290, to a 8700, finally to a Pearl. I loved the Pearl, sweet size, nice screen, fast OS, cool camera, Mp3 capable etc. That all wore off after 10 days of use. I have normal size fingers but that keypad is not ideal if you e-mail alot, which I do. plus the call quality was spotty, and my bars wend town from 2-4 to searching-1 here at my office. In the end I returned my Pearl, and since I sold my 8700 to get the Pearl, got the 7290 again. 7290 may be dated but it's built like a tank, not fragile like the 8100, calls are clear and uninterrupted, and I'm staring at 4 bars on my phone right now. I would wait for the 8800, that's what I am doing. It;s a nifty little phone but my experience was not very good.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
Saif210

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile
Talking Just bought the pearl

This may help you make your decision. I JUST BOUGHT the PEARL and have NEVER owned a BB before. (I'm left handed..Old BB's were Lefty Racist). However, this new trackball "pearl" is probably the most user friendly device I have yet to use in a phone/PDA. I mean, I'm a phone whore, and get new phones ever 6-9 months, so I have used a lot of different Operating Systems. But I must say, this phone is absolutely USER FRIENDLY and cool; and SMALL! 3 great things that go great together...Like Peanut Butter, Jelly and milk!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #14
dmoffitt

imo, GO for it!
Closed Thread