BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
tankee531
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel
Question 7100g - http error 400 - unknown host - help !!!

Please Login to Remove!

hi,

I am unable to surf via the blackberry browser. Whatever url I tried, I will get the http error 400 (unknown host). The port number is 80 (<- is this port number correct, if not where to change?)

I am able to surf via WAP which is linked to my telco's GPRS WAP services.

I have the following service book
- WAP Transport SingTel (WAP)
- SingTel IDEAS (Browser Config)
- Blackberry Browser (Browser Config)
- Blackberry (Browser Config)
- Blackberry (IPPP)
- Blackberry (ALP)
- Blackberry (CMIME)
- Blackberry (CICAL)

I used to be able to surf via my old BB device.

what could be wrong? :(
Old 03-18-2005, 01:36 AM   #2
tankee531

by the way, I'm on BES and MDS is enabled at the corporate blackberry server.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
mbn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: at&t

I get the same thing (actually mine is.... "HTTP Error 400: Bad request The server could not understand the page request, or was unable to process it for some reason. Please try loading a different page.")- I've asked the same question to this and other boards but didn't get a response. Then all of a sudden, last night my Blackberry browser was working, but today, HTTP Error 400 again. This is the same error for any site.

Someone posted that it might have to do with firewalls and filters that your firm is using, but it works for the users with a 7100t, but my cingular device, it does not work. My firm will not spend the $800 for a BB service contract so I'm stuck using the ^%*!! worthless cingular browser until this either resolves itself or we upgrade to BES 4.0 soon, or cingular allows full html browsing. It would be nice if someone who knows what this error is about would share their knowledge...

Last edited by mbn; 03-18-2005 at 04:16 PM..
Old 03-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default BES settings make a difference

I get a 500 error - six months ago I didn't. Call my tech support. They locked down security. So I can't send anything out. Try searching the BB site but I suspect this may be a BES issue.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:37 AM   #5
tankee531

well the trouble is that my administrator is also clueless. I took the administration manual from him and read through it myself. The books are so brief and not useful in resolving this issue.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
mbn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

So I finally got someone to issue a ticket for my HTTP Error 400: Bad Request at Blackberry even though we don't have T-support at my cheap ass company with 40 users on the BES. I got bounced to a level 2 guy up in Canada who was pretty helpful despite telling me to go into 'Aboot' to see what version of the handheld software user I was running.

HTTP Error 400 could be due to filters (we use websense) and firewall (we use PIX). There is a known issue with the Blackberry browser running on a handheld higher than 3.8 and Websense - my admins had to jiggle a few things with the firewall to allow different size packets through due to the firewall and/or the filter, but now I am surfing with my Blackberry browser, as it should have been from day one.

It's an odd issue because the users with 7100t's didn't get the error and were surfing freely, but the users on Cingular with 7100g's did. Go figure...
Old 03-24-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
veeceeonefive
Knows Where the Search Button Is

no one in canada outside of newfoundland says 'aboot', and no one in newfoundland could tech support anything more complicated than a beer bottle.

/me dodges a punch from a newf co-worker who's looking over my shoulder as i write this.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:57 AM   #8
Thomas

Model: 7230
Question Question

Hello,
I have the same problem.
Could you tell me exactly which sort of manipulation have made your admin on your FWll.
Sorry for my poor english.
thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbn
So I finally got someone to issue a ticket for my HTTP Error 400: Bad Request at Blackberry even though we don't have T-support at my cheap ass company with 40 users on the BES. I got bounced to a level 2 guy up in Canada who was pretty helpful despite telling me to go into 'Aboot' to see what version of the handheld software user I was running.

HTTP Error 400 could be due to filters (we use websense) and firewall (we use PIX). There is a known issue with the Blackberry browser running on a handheld higher than 3.8 and Websense - my admins had to jiggle a few things with the firewall to allow different size packets through due to the firewall and/or the filter, but now I am surfing with my Blackberry browser, as it should have been from day one.

It's an odd issue because the users with 7100t's didn't get the error and were surfing freely, but the users on Cingular with 7100g's did. Go figure...
Old 04-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
rel12561
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default http error

I had similar problems. I called tech support and they had me go to service book in options and delete the WAP Transport and mMode (Browser Config).

Then I removed the battery to reset the blackberry and then put it back in, powered up and then select register (can't remember where that was, but it was a pull down menu) but it sent a new service book to replace the two items I removed and eveything worked. I use web client, but maybe this will work for BES too.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
BBTechGuy

Carrier: T-Mobile

From the good people at WebSense:

http://ww2.websense.com/global/en/Su...ay.php?faq=766

I'd pay particular attention to "url-block url-size <long url size>"

Cheers
Closed Thread