BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #21
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

One of my major complaints about BlackBerry Browser is I'm not able to select 4-point or 5-point antialiased font for browsing. The 8700 screen is sharp enough to keep such fonts readable by well-sighted people, and sometimes some pages just look better with a tiny font...

One thing I like is that Opera can be easily configured to use a really readable small-size antialiased font, for those that prefer smaller fonts while using the web browser... (RIM BlackBerry Browser does not let you use a font smaller than 6 point on model 8700 -- while the 8700 screen can clearly render very readable 4 point antialiased font that is not pixellated -- for those with good eyesight). However, I'd want the small font to also affect the title bar and the bottom bar, so that I have more space for browsing (this would get closer to a Full Screen browsing mode). I use a fairly large font (10 point BBMillibankTall for the rest of my GUI). The reasoning is that it's easier to read while I am walking, faster to briefly glance while driving (yes, I know...but that's offtopic) or easier to read at low backlight settings. However, I like to use a really small font for everything in the web browser since I only use that when I'm stationary or sitting down in public transit. As a result, I have a really big titlebar and bottom bar, with really tiny text in between. As a result, about 20% of the screen is wastede to the opera bar at the top and bottom. Font size should preferably be reflected here too. (Another alternative: a "Full Screen Mode". Or alternatively you could even use translucent overlay: It appears Opera uses translucency for the shadow at the top edge of the page, right below the titlebar; maybe take advantage of Opera's translucency capabilities in this area, but only if this does not affect performance...

However, I have to agree that the user interface isn't exactly "seamless" with the BlackBerry. (Much like a Windows application hastily ported to a Mac)

As a programmer, I do remember that there is a J2ME programming limitation where thumbwheel click events are not 'detected' in J2ME programs. So I can understand why clicking the thumbwheel does not bring up the 'expected' menu. Ideally, some compromises maybe could be done automatically if a BlackBerry is detected, though you may have already tried your best on this short of porting to RIM JDE instead of J2ME. (Maybe new BlackBerryOS has some improvements solving some of this, and this Opera can automatically detect whether a newer-OS device is running -- although I'm not sure if the API's are even accessible via J2ME development -- I'd have to look)

PageUp/PageDn works: It is done by holding ALT while spinning trackwheel. That's an improvement from a really old version I remember trying; at least that is BlackBerrylike.

Also, in BlackBerry Browser, spacebar selects/unselects a checkbox, so I accidentally do a PageDn here. On the other hand, Enter or Backspace also can edit the checkboxes as well. Perhaps a minor modification to behaviour, that if a checkbox is selected (at least when Opera is running on a BlackBerry), spaceabar selects/deselects the checkbox, but scrolls the page down if not hovering over a checkbox. (In BlackBerry Browser, spacebar does not select combo boxes, buttons, or links, so behaviour regarding this in Opera is correct)

Also, there's a bug I found: When I select "Back" or "Forward", it loads the page from the cache. However, when I click a link that refers back to a page that's already in my Opera browser cache, it reloads the page! This is a bit inefficient. For example, if I select "Back to Home" link on a website I am browsing (And I already visited the home page), it already has the page in its cache. But it reloads the page, even on the second or third time I click this link. It should load from the cache rather than transmit its request. If a user really wants to reload a page they already visited, they can select "Reload". Data can be very expensive for those who have almost no access to truly unlimited data plans (like Canadian BlackBerry users). BlackBerry Browser is more efficient in this regards and avoids reloading the page if clicking on a link that goes to a page that is already cached, and it only reloads the page if it's a submit/post type URL (form submission, etc)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-02-2006 at 04:49 PM..
Old 11-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #22
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

but can you enter values in text fields without opening the field in new page?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #23
JvzW
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e

Nope!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #24
SkyPilot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Bell

I am unable to get the beta download no matter what I try
I keep geting redirected to opera mini 2 on my telus 7520
Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #25
cman6453

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Cingular

How defaulting the scroll-click menu to "Ok" instead of "Clear" after typing in the website address?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #26
tazeat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

IMHO if opera wants to be on a blackberry, code it for a blackberry, not all j2me phones. Pick one, make two releases. It would be nice if it actually fit with the blackberry os, the way it handles certian key presses and thngs just isnt the way you would expect a blackberry to use. The one thing that ESPECIALLY bugs me is form filling... this bugs me to death...

Mostly what the users above said, mark did a good job explaining its failures.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #27
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Kopter - I can't get my VZW 7130e to connect using Opera... did you have to do anything special in terms of configuration?

One note... everything I could switch in terms of app permissions is set to allow. Still no luck. Also, I'm on BES.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #28
breaksraver13

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythmbHurts
Im trying to download it but I get an error 503 server is to busy or doing maint... Anyone else having this problem? Im on t-mobile 8100 4.2.0.64
I get the same error. cingular here
Old 11-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #29
Kopter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thunder... I didn't have any issues with the configuration. I installed it, pulled my battery and it worked. (after you work through the connection questions.. Ie; "application wants to connect via http.. Allow it? Etc".) Sorry... Nothing outside the typical stuff. That said, I will take a look at it again and post any abnormalities.

Last edited by Kopter; 11-05-2006 at 09:31 PM..
Old 11-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #30
dwc

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmob

Johan,

My feedback so far. (I hope posting it here is useful. Let me know if I need to mail it somewhere)

- I love the small font
- I like the way you guys compress/roll up pages.
- speed is good
- great home page with the two best default boxes (google & wikipedia)
- no forced bookmarks (huge yay)

Questions / Requests

- can't Opera hold a cookie? I get asked to log in on every new page on some basic authentication sites. There are no cookie settings. (showstopper issue)

- using horiz and vertical scrolling is innovative, but difficult on a trackball. Because of the way the thumb is joined to the hand (at an angle) scrolling the trackball often has an element of diagonal motion, which makes navigation quirky (if not challenging). I would prefer a hotkey for page up/down

- I need hotkeys for page up/down and top/bottom

- In (non-password) dialogue boxes, for example the username box of a login, the damn thing keeps trying to capitalize the first letter of the word. Very frustrating.

-Dan
Old 11-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #31
tannis00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7280: BlackBerry7280/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.2.3.15.0)

I mamaged to download it, but it won't run. Version 2 works but this version gives me a Java error. Is there a Blackberry OS version requirement? Running 4.0 on 7280
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #32
bmw000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Works nice.

I would like to see my signal level and the type of connection like edge or gprs somewhere on the top red bar, like the bb browsers show us.

Brian Weber
Old 11-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #33
KeithJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

Thanks for the beta. I'm glad the trackball (on the 8100) issue has been fixed, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to use.

There are certain features I like about Opera over the BB browser and vice versa.

e.g
With the BB browser you are able to select text from a web page, Opera doesn't do this.
I wish the Opera browser allowed for more menu options and the QW didn't substitute as the menu button, I have the habbit of typing in a form and if it begins with QW I end up getting a menu. I've gotten use to it, but it would be nice to either be able to customize this or change it to the actual menu key.

I love the small text in the Opera browser, for me it makes the page look a lot cleaner.

I'm always back and forth between Opera and the BB browser, there are just a few key features needed in either one to make one of them my main browser.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #34
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

I was getting sick of the 2.0, but this one is my new default browser. Works with the trackball and is so much more stable than the older version. Now I can view my traffic cams and other stuff without Opera freezing or losing the trackball scrolling feature. Nice work!
Old 11-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #35
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

i hate the beta.... the feeds never work and if they do, they take 3 minutes to come up. I agree that the bbrowser doesn't have a real start page like opera but opera is a usefull as a sack of donkey nuts...

why are my feeds not stored locally on the blackberry? why does the bb have to have data going out to just get to the damn feeds page. frustrated with this piece o crap... when will google come out with a browser?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #36
YMark

What Krad said. I just installed this and after playing with it for a couple of hours, I'm NOT impressed. This POS is going to the bit bucket.

EDIT: I was in error here. I was speaking about version 2 of Opera. I have installed the beta of version 3 and the Pearl button does in fact select links. I'm giving it a test ride now. I would however, avoid Opera 2 at all costs.

Last edited by YMark; 11-08-2006 at 10:26 AM..
Old 11-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #37
dabull

why cant you push the trackball for a click? you have to hit enter to click? thats pretty lame
Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #38
YMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabull
why cant you push the trackball for a click? you have to hit enter to click? thats pretty lame
See my edited post above yours.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #39
chazm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t mobile

I can't get it to work. I get a http error 500. Been trying it for a couple of hours now. Is it too late to get it?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #40
bjchantry

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Fine for me

I am in South Africa going through our corporate BES in the US and no problems here, connected first time. Let's see how it goes, version 2 was quite clumsy on the BlackBerry.
Closed Thread