Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
mcapiro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Advice for an MS Smartphone User Wanting to Convert

Please Login to Remove!

Have some quick questions to ask of you all. I'm currently using an MS Smartphone (i-mate sp3) and am getting a little frustrated with the OS "issues." My main questions for everyone out there has to do with some of the functionality available with the Blackberry platform. I've already posted a similar thread in the S60 forum and it looks like that just isn't the platform for me either.

Synchronization:
How robust is the sync functionality with Outlook? I know that the Intellisync suite is out there, but I'm just worried about exactly how robust the app is. Specifically, will it sync all of the info in Outlook with the phone? I have recurring appts with different Notes attached to the different dates of the appts (ie: Meeting every Monday with a different agenda for each of the dates). I ask this because so far I haven't found anything else other than ActiveSync that could sync this with the phone.

E-mail:
I don't even have to ask about this, as this is definitely the BB's killer app. One quick question, however. There is no way to configure the phone itself for email accounts right? In other words, I would definitely have to sign up for a BB data plan in order to get email even with OS 4 right?

Other Apps:
Just wondering about other apps that I routinely use on my phone. Weather being the main one. Is there some kind of free weather app out there with forecasts, etc.

On a final note, how is the 7100t? I've read some pretty good reviews (understandably the keyboard does seem to be a point of contention for some) but overall how is the device in terms of speed, reliability, etc.

Thank you in advance for everyone's help with this. I'm just starting to get a little frustrated with the MS platform and have always heard people sing the praises of the BB but have been hesitant to give it a try.

Last edited by mcapiro; 03-30-2005 at 09:16 PM..
Old 03-30-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
harleyxlc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: T-Mobile

Sync: Intellisync works great with my pda, but I do have some issues with the bb. Not that things don't sync...eventually. But sometimes I have to sync twice to get everythiing synced.

E-mail: your comments are right, bb plan.

Other apps: BBToday and pocketDay both have weather options in a "Today screen" app, similar to a PPC pda.

I have been reasonably happy with it, it is my first bb. I do find the lack of apps disappointing. The lack of a robust eWallet type app and a good list program (like ListPro) means I haven't stopped using a pda.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:04 AM   #3
nomoresmartphones
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I previously had an MPX200, and I think you can see from my screen name that I do not plan on going back to the smart phone platform.

The sync features work great. A couple things (like busy vs. free time) don't transfer over, but all in all a close second to Active Sync. I rely on it heavily as well, so I understand your concern. I don't think you would be too dissapointed.

Apps, I don' t use too many of them. The Reqwireless Webviewer seems to be a necessity if you are not running a BES. Some of the Magmic games are nice too.

I have the NEXTEL BB 7520 and love the device itself. Super bright screen, Bluetooth, e-mail, AND IT IS STABLE!!! I had a BB 6510, then switched to my MPX200, then back to BB 7520. No regrets whatsoever. And another thing I love, is that RIM will let me upgrade my hardware when necessary. NO SOFTWARE UPGRADES WITH SMARTPHONE.

All in all, I can't recommend BB enough. Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:08 AM   #4
Eric5273
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

I used to have a Samsung i600 with Verizon. Keep in mind that the Blackberry has more limitations than Smartphone. It is not as capable and not as flexible.

There is no multimedia capability. No more streaming, or playing MP3s on media player, etc.

The Web browsing experience is pretty similar, although with a wider screen (240 pixel width).

Email is better on the blackberry, but again, there are limitations. While the email system is easier to use on the blackberry and it is "push", there is no IMAP sync capability like there is on the Smartphone. Assuming you are using the Web Client, you are simply being pushed a copy of everything. So get used to the idea of having to see your messages twice -- once on the blackberry and once on your POP/IMAP account -- unless you are using BES for corporate email.

Also, there is no file structure on the Blackberry unless you get 3rd party software. So you cannot download a file, and then upload it later on to another email. You can do this for certain types of files if you get 3rd party software. But the operating system is much more closed off and secure than in Smartphone.

The Address Book is just as good as the mobile outlook in Smartphone....very similar.

As far as software, while there are a lot of new BlackBerry apps being released every day, there are not yet as many apps available as for Smartphone.

The phone app is not going to be as friendly as a smartphone unless you get 7100, in which case it will be. Since you are used to using a Smartphone with T9, I would guess a 7100 would still be a substantial improvement for you.

Overall, the Smartphone platform is much more capable, but with capability and flexibility, comes complexity and problems --- this describes my experience with Smartphones very well! The Blackberry has much more of a closed and fixed operating system. There are not as many options, not as many settings, not as many ways to screw things up, and not as many problems. For someone like me who wants simplicity in a mobile device, I like it. If you are a tweaker who loves to play and customize, you may not like it.

Last edited by Eric5273; 04-01-2005 at 02:12 AM..
Closed Thread