BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #221
shaunconn

Default Some thoughts on PocketDay

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

Great app, just have a few things to resolve before I decide to replace BBDay with this...

I would like PocketDay to always be the main screen I use, except that if its on the display, then the display is unlocked (i.e. if its in my pocket, I can accidentally call people). Is there a way of locking the unit and leaving the PocketDay display on the screen? Or just a key in PocketDay which locks it perhaps?

Secondly - iirc, BBday lets you have a detail line on each summary - so if you have appointments, you can see them in the summary view, without having to go into the appointments app. So the summary screen shows you the calls you've missed, the appointments you have, and todays tasks, all from one place. I can't seem to find a way of doing that with PocketDay?

Thirdly, I understand RIM not giving you access to the SMS side of things, but isn't there a way that you can at least put the little envelope icon up at the top of the screen when an SMS has been received?

Finally, how do I get stocks from the UK stock markets?

Sorry to fire so many questions!

Regards

Shaun
Old 04-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #222
crs
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

shaun,

You can't lock it in place, but you can set up PD to be your standby screen so that after x minutes, PD comes bak on top. See the Util settings for this. There's no key to lock the device currently.

To see the details from the summary screen just hit the spacebar. Hit the spacebar again to return to the summary from the details.

No access to SMS for anything...sorry.

I get the stock quotes from yahoo finance, so if you can find the symbols there you can enter them.

Regards,

Mark
Old 04-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #223
jaltito

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

Hi
I just downloaded the latest version PocketDay on my 7100t & so far it looks great. But I do have some questions:
Weather: I live in Toronto (Canada) & I’ve tried to change the settings according to the website that the manual pointed to – however, either I’m entering the wrong data or else I’m doing something else wrong – can you provide me with the proper location code for Toronto (Canada) & Rome (Italy).
Weather: I changed the Weather type option from Standard to Metric but it still reported back in Standard units. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Jim
Old 04-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #224
crs

jaltito,

There's a small issue with changing the weather location. After you change it, exit the program using the menu/exit command. When you restart it all should be correct.

Mark
Old 04-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #225
jaltito

Carrier: Rogers

mark,
I tried all that (menu/exit; as well as reboot) but no go. I still have New York as the city & the temp etc is reported in Standard units & not metric.
Anything I can do?
Jim
Old 04-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #226
crs

Jim,

For a t-mobile 7100 insure the following.

Under home/tools/settings/tcp make sure the APN is set to wap.voicestream.com and username and password are blank. The in PD Internet Connection should be Direct. The menu/exit.

Mark
Old 04-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #227
Nhausfoto

I use the month view a lot. THANKS for creating one. My appts tend to be all day, so it is nice to see the month all at once to see how busy the month is.

My recurring appts (multiday appts) are not showing up in the month view graphically. The text information does appear at the bottom if i scroll over the day, but the bars on the calendar do not. Actually, the all day appts appear in text form, the normal appts (start time/end time) do not appear. And neither of them appear graphically in the calendar view.

Thanks for your quick responses

greg

Last edited by Nhausfoto; 04-02-2005 at 01:31 PM..
Old 04-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #228
crs

greg,

In the readme.doc file that's part of the PocketDay download there are some known limitations in the blackberry development tools. Recurring appointments is one of them. As soon as RIM corrects these deficiencies, PocketDay will pick them up.

Mark
Old 04-03-2005, 12:49 AM   #229
ije

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO

PocketDay is a must have application for every BB user. Great Job.

On the weather issue, I noticed a discrepancy in the displayed information versus what is reported by Weather.com.

I refreshed the weather at 12:45am and PocketDay had the right weather information except that all the information was a DAY behind. The information reported by PocketDay for Monday and Tuesday were reported by the Weather.com for Sunday and Monday respectively.

I did notice that despite numerous attempts to manually refresh the weather information, PocketDay reported current conditions as of 11:53 PM Saturday night. This may be due to a lag in reporting at Weather.com.

Just my observation at 12:52 AM Sunday morning.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #230
MSUDVM

Carrier: CellularOne

I am using a 7100g with CellularOne service. I love the concept of the PocketDay, but I can not get the weather or stock quotes to work. I get tunnel errors when trying to connect. Everything else works fine. I am a personal user, not enterprise. I have set the connection to direct, but no avail. I would like to purchase this, but I need to get it working first. Anyone have any ideas?

Dan
Old 04-03-2005, 07:09 AM   #231
AngelaY

Default Can't get weather to work on o2

I am using a 7290 on o2 in the UK (none BES) and I have the same weather errors as Shaun.

Does anyone know what APN settings I should try and if it will work on os 3.8?

o2 have told me they will not be upgrading to version 4 and that if I do this it will not work on their server. Not sure if I believe them but I'm not sure I want to take the risk.

Angela
Old 04-03-2005, 08:25 AM   #232
crs

ije,

Use the Menu/Exit inside PD and restart to resync everything.

AngelaY...it can't be done on OS 3.8 currently...sorry.

Mark
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 AM   #233
AngelaY

Thanks Mark. That's a shame

Do you know of anyone who has risked upgrading on o2? Must admit I'm very tempted to try using one of the other carriers upgrade and then just hope the server will cope with it.

If I do upgrade then would a change of the APN settings, as you suggested for Shaun, get the weather working?

Angela
Old 04-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #234
crs

Angela,

I don't know of anyone that's done it with o2. I can't guarantee that it will work, but your chances are better.

Mark
Old 04-03-2005, 12:10 PM   #235
Michael Beissel

Hi there,

I am just testing this great tool.

Can anybody tell me how to get the weather conditions from a German City?

Many thanks.

Ok, ok, I have just found it by reading the manual.

Kind regards
Michael

Last edited by Michael Beissel; 04-03-2005 at 12:17 PM..
Old 04-04-2005, 01:40 AM   #236
shaunconn

Default BBToday vs PocketDay

Hi

Been comparing the (free) BBToday with PocketDay, and there's a few things I like of each.

Both have weather, stocks, missed calls, appointments, battery...

BBToday has 1,2 or 3 lines of detail for the appointments, so I can glance at my screen to see my immediate meetings without having to press space (as in PocketDay).

Pocketday seems to have much better application keys (l,c, m, etc) whereas BBToday doesn't really have any.

They seem both pretty similar - annoyingly, since I really like the app keys *and* the appointments view....

Is there anyway the developers could fix this - I'm happy to buy PocketDay, if it had the nice appointment view....

Shaun
Old 04-04-2005, 03:21 AM   #237
shaunconn

Default Weather on 3.8 and 4.0

Hi

Tirsch/AngelaY - FWIW, on Vodafone on the 7100v, the weather works on both 3.8 and 4.0.

So it looks like its not version dependent after all - all you need to do now is find the equivalent APN details for O2 in the UK!

Regards

Shaun
Old 04-04-2005, 03:36 AM   #238
AngelaY

Default Calling all o2 users

Thanks Shaun.

So has anyone on o2 managed to get the weather working or know what APN settings I should try? I've tried the ones recommended for vodafone but with no success

Angela
Old 04-04-2005, 05:57 AM   #239
crs

shaunconn,

PocketDay works that way to keep the summary screen clean and neat. There aren't any plans to expand the appointments or tasks into the summary view at this time.

Mark
Old 04-04-2005, 08:27 AM   #240
bgate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

shaunconn,

If the detail is more important to you from the start, you can set PD to not open to the summary page. You then get your appt. and task detail up front. Then you hit the space bar to go to the summary page for your other info.

Settings-->Today View-->uncheck "start-up in summary"

Brent
Closed Thread