BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Blackberry-Fan

Model: 8700
Arrow Looking to Hire Application Developer

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I'm looking to hire someone that can quickly build me a 'desktop launcher' app for a client of mine. I have all of the info needed (PIN from RIM, icon to be used on the desktop)...

BBerryOne.com has exactly what we're looking for...I can't post URL's yet on here as I'm a newbie...but go to bberryone.com and you'll see it

If anyone is out there that could help please leave me a note and we'll talk.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

what do you mean by desktop launcher? mail me, i think i know what you want and can do it quickly: [email address]
Old 01-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
kevin.ross
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

We specialize in BlackBerry development and can quickly produce one that will work for you on all the BlackBerry platforms. We can also make sure that the proper sized icons, as well as rollover icons are utilized based on device capabilities. Please email me and we can discuss your needs further.

Thank you,
Old 01-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Rogers

There are pages of threads asking for developer help with tonnes of views but ZERO replies, yet a thread offering a job/money and almost immediately there are two replies.

This developer forum is by far the most disappointing, not only on this site but on any developer site I have frequented.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

that's a little disingenuous - i've been helping out here and at the official blackberry developer forum for a couple of years and have given away thousands of lines of code and functions - so you know where you can stick that comment.

i'll only post if i think i can help without confusing matters with something i'm not 100% certain on. i don't help with any bes related problems as i have no experience. i also don't help when it's an issue where someone can't be bothered to do the research themselves - it's clear when this is the case. if someone has obviously tried and are stuck - i'll help.

i'm pretty sure i've done more for the developer community on blackberry than a lot of people , yourself included, so go take a running jump.

Last edited by jfisher; 01-08-2007 at 09:12 AM..
Old 01-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
MobileRC

My comments were merely a viewpoint based on what I have seen in this forum as well as other technical forums. Looking at this forum and comparing it to other technical/development forums, you cannot honestly tell me the posting traffic is the same. On a regular forum there will be 30 views and at least 3 replies, on here you will see threads with 90 views and 0 replies.

If my comments don't apply to you (and they obviously do not apply to 100% of every person who uses this forum), then why do you even bother replying?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

why did you bother posting?

because of the implication you made and the fact that there are only two posters and you. it's called trolling. you don't know me but made a judgement. here's part of the email i sent the client:
----------------------------
it'll take less than an hour to do it so if you donate here:

Oxfam Unwrapped - Product Item

i'll do it for free,
-----------------------------

if you have nothing constructive to say please keep it out of the dev forum and leave it somewhere else where gossip and ill informed conjecture is welcome.

if you'd like some free software feel free to download some here: meshsystem >> Blackberry

some points:

- it's a blackberry thread, the blackberry doesn't have the same fanbase that traditional j2me development has. consumer software/games companies tend to concentrate on j2me devices before looking at possibly porting the software to blackberry (only if they can see that it'll be profitable - the view is it's still an enterprise device).

- the j2me scene has huge amount of sites dedicated to optimising the j2me api for maximum performance, your local bookshop will even have lots of books on the subject - there must be 300 skilled j2me developers for every blackberry dev who really knows the api.

- people who post on this board also tend to post exactly (copy&paste) questions over at the dev board on blackberry.com - these posts get ignored if they're dealt with over there.

- the blackberry up until now has largely been an enterprise device where bespoke solutions are commonplace - there is no open source culture in this world and therefore it's a rare thing on the blackberry.

- if people aren't going to learn the basics or rtfm then i won't waste my time helping someone who can't be bothered helping themselves.

- most people use the blackberry.com dev area as the primary source of information and help, the fact that this central area exists means other sites are not so useful, this forum is different; there's plenty of helpful people here.

- people here and at blackberry.com who helped me get to the point where i am now; they helped because i did rtfm and put the effort in. if people post some broken code but they've tried to do it for themselves they'll always get more help from the community than someone who rudely posts 'how do i do xxxx?' and expects everyone to rush in and do it for them, the information is freely available, all you have to do is use a search engine and download the programmers guide pdf's on blackberry.com - there's nothing worse than answering a query to just get another question back to the point where you're basically solving the whole problem for someone.

- there are gaps in my knowledge, if i can't help someone i don't post.

- the blackberry has custom libraries - most of the people posting on these threads work for a living and have little time to spare - there aren't going to be many students like there are on other j2me boards who have the time to spend on problems in a group over the net.

- this site is for both developers and users - users (and there nothing wrong with this) like to browse the dev forum; this is why the threads have a larger 'read' ratio to actual posts.

Last edited by jfisher; 01-08-2007 at 10:19 PM..
Old 01-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
MobileRC

Point taken.

Some points:
-To say I made a judgement about you personally is ridiculous.
-At over 300 posts I cant believe you personally judged me by calling me a troll.
-Criticism is the catalyst to change.

No hard feelings and please dont assume I am attacking you or any of the other helpful members. Personally I would like to see alot more replies in this forum, thats all.
Closed Thread