BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
CarlGalgano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default Any sightings of the 8800 at CES?

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone there? Anyone seen the 8800 or anything else from RIM?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

I was wondering the same.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
fatman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

yes, likewise, I wonder what RIM is showcasing at CES.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
FLIPP_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

I know they have a booth. Saw their booth number on a list for the CES.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
YMark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I was at the CES and went by the RIM "booth". It wasn't really a booth, it was more of a meeting room that was for invites only. They had NOTHING on display and were did not have anyone available to speak with, unless you were had an invite.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
fatman

Interesting. I am curious to see if RIM decides to push back release dates for the 8800 in light of Apple's announcement of the iPhone. I am not a market analyst so my knowledge in this area is limited but consumer focus seems to have shifted to the iPhone, evident from the drop in RIM's share prices. RIM might just decide to slow down and release the much awaited 8800 at a later date to stiffen competition.
Personally, I would have never thought that iPhone and Blackberry are competing products or even in the same segment; I mean, the BB is targeted more towards enterprises unlike the iPhone which is consumer/entertainment oriented.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
FLIPP_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't think that RIM will hold back the release of the phone especially with the lawsuit filed by Cisco against Apple for copyright infringment. I would be very surprised if the iphone will ship ontime. I have a feeling that it could be held up in the court system for a long time.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
BlackBerryCoolSteve
BBF News Contributer

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

I'd love to agree, Flip. But even though one of Cisco's head honchos said on his blog that it's not about money - it will be. The iPhone will roll out in June under the same name and Cisco will be rolling in the dough if they play their cards right.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

I think this is going to be tough for RIM.
The iPhone is not really for business customers...

But, RIM may lose some market share over this too....
They need to speed up the release of a new device that will have some media features to compete.

And I mean compete with what is currently out....
Not what was new 2 years ago!
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman
Interesting. I am curious to see if RIM decides to push back release dates for the 8800 in light of Apple's announcement of the iPhone. I am not a market analyst so my knowledge in this area is limited but consumer focus seems to have shifted to the iPhone, evident from the drop in RIM's share prices. RIM might just decide to slow down and release the much awaited 8800 at a later date to stiffen competition.
Personally, I would have never thought that iPhone and Blackberry are competing products or even in the same segment; I mean, the BB is targeted more towards enterprises unlike the iPhone which is consumer/entertainment oriented.
You got to be kidding! The iPhone is now due for months, like July. WHY would RIM hold back the 8800 which is due out in Feb?

A person who uses and depends on the Blackberry would consider the iPhone a joke. Compare it to a SideKick but not a Blackberry.

People who think the iPhone is in competition with Blackberry know not what they are saying and have never owned a Blackberry!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
fatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
You got to be kidding! The iPhone is now due for months, like July. WHY would RIM hold back the 8800 which is due out in Feb?

A person who uses and depends on the Blackberry would consider the iPhone a joke. Compare it to a SideKick but not a Blackberry.

People who think the iPhone is in competition with Blackberry know not what they are saying and have never owned a Blackberry!
Agreed and exactly my point - BB & iPhone are not in the same class of service.

However, I am merely stating my observation based on the drop in RIM stock prices upon Apple's announcement of the iPhone.

Do you know for sure if 8800 is due out in Feb?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
BlackBerryCoolSteve
BBF News Contributer

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Apparently the 8800's been delayed slightly, at least according to BG.
Check out our most recent interview with him.

BlackBerryCool » Boy Genius Interviewed: Round 2
Old 01-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
FLIPP_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here is a clip from an article from the AP, according to the article it looks like Cisco was think about marketing a cell phone call the "iphone"

"The lawsuit may be more than just a semantic scuffle. Cisco has been on an aggressive acquisition binge in the past year, and CEO John Chambers has been ambitious about building the company's brand name and producing more consumer electronics -- not just the esoteric networking gear that chief information officers purchased at great expense.

The lawsuit could be an attempt to embroil Apple into a legal morass because Cisco is set on developing a competing product, said Eve Griliches, program manager at Framingham, Mass.-based research firm IDC.

"Cisco is a very, very smart company, and anything they can do to slow Apple out of the gate might give them an advantage at the negotiating table," Griliches said. "Chances are both companies knew this lawsuit was going to happen -- the real question is, what's really behind it?"

full story:Cisco Sues Apple Over Use of iPhone Name: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance
Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman
I am curious to see if RIM decides to push back release dates for the 8800 in light of Apple's announcement of the iPhone.
They'll push it back to mid- to late-March or so for Cingular and likely on into April for another carrier, but this has nothing to do with Apple's iPhone.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I know my RIM guy was set to get his 8800 two weeks ago and they have delayed it indefinatly. Hes on the Tmobile side FYI
Old 01-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #16
Baggman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 7-10 split
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark
I was at the CES and went by the RIM "booth". It wasn't really a booth, it was more of a meeting room that was for invites only. They had NOTHING on display and were did not have anyone available to speak with, unless you were had an invite.

Same as last year.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #17
CarlGalgano
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bummer to hear about the delay. I wonder if the release of the iPhone has caused RIM to rethink the lack of 3G on the 8800. While I agree that the iPhone and BB really go after different markets, the Pearl really moved RIM closer to the consumer market, and I think the 8800 will continue that trend with the added media features. RIM's strategy clearly is to gain market share moving into the consumer arena. I think the BB has always been considered a cool device, but passed on by many because of the lack of a cam and some other features. I think now, with the introduction of the iPhone, the standards for any cell phone have changed. Sure it is expensive, but so is the iPod, and every kid and most adults have one. The iPod changed portable, digital music and so will the iPhone.

For business users, it looks like key features are missing. I need tight integration for my calendar and contact back to Exchange. That does not look like it is addressed in the iPhone. While I think it is a very cool device, it wont be for me. I think converged devices are nice, but I want a 40gb ipod for music, a real digital camera for taking pictures, etc.

I applaud Apple for their innovation, and for pushing the industry. Most new devices from manufacturers like RIM and Palm have had very minor, incremental improvements. The iPhone changes everything. Look for more innovation from everyone.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #18
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

Everything looks good in a demo in front of an enthusiastic crowd. Check back here 3 months after the iphone is released to see how well it is accepted.

I don't see most businesses deploying iphones any more than they deploy ipods.

The iphone is largely an untested market, not because it won't have beautiful features, but because purchasing it will involve a 2 year contract - so after the early adopters it will not be an impulse purchase. Remains to be seen if people will break contracts with other carriers to jump to cingular and acquire the iPhone.

The paid publicity (aka bloggers) should start up in force in a few months. Then we'll start to get some early indication whether the new device holds up in real world conditions.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #19
CarlGalgano
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think the iPhone will do well, in it intended target market, but I dont see if taking away blackberry users. The intended markets are totally different. However, this may slow the acceptance of the more consumer driven blackberry models. I can see my teenagers wanting iPhones, but not me. In the long run, more choices and innovation are better for everyone. I say, bring on the iPhone!
Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
FLIPP_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryCoolSteve
I'd love to agree, Flip. But even though one of Cisco's head honchos said on his blog that it's not about money - it will be. The iPhone will roll out in June under the same name and Cisco will be rolling in the dough if they play their cards right.
Apple is having all kinds or copy right problems: Apple iPhone trademark rejected in Canada? - Engadget Mobile
Closed Thread