BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
VickyPaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMobile
Default Impact Of North American Daylight Saving Time?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, On Blackberry's mobile website it talks about the impact N.A Daylight Savings Time Change will have on BBs if certain updates are not applied.

This may be a stupid question but what exactly are they suggesting we do?

It seemed a little unclear to me.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

If you read deeper, they suggest a software patch according to your OS version, etc. I don't know when the patches will be available, however one of this board's Mod, NJBlackberry, has said it would be February before the patches are available.

The RIM site is confusing about the patches. From reading their information, it led me to understand the patch was available now on my TMO website, which has nothing.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Talldog

Model: 8330

If you have a Cingular 8700c, handheld OS v4.1.0.377 already has the new DST tables
Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog
If you have a Cingular 8700c, handheld OS v4.1.0.377 already has the new DST tables

I have been trying to get the OS but haven't been able to find it or download it. Is it available over the air? Do you have a link? Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
hokie123

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
I have been trying to get the OS but haven't been able to find it or download it. Is it available over the air? Do you have a link? Thanks
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4

You must download/extract the file, and load it using the desktop manager.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
VickyPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
If you read deeper, they suggest a software patch according to your OS version, etc. I don't know when the patches will be available, however one of this board's Mod, NJBlackberry, has said it would be February before the patches are available.

The RIM site is confusing about the patches. From reading their information, it led me to understand the patch was available now on my TMO website, which has nothing.
Yeah, I have TM and have seen nothing their either. I did download the latest OS from them but don't assume it has the DST patches in there. I may email them and see what they say about that. Thanks for the help tho
Old 02-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Vicky--TMO here also. Please post their response--if any. I'll be curious.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
hokie123

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyPaz
Yeah, I have TM and have seen nothing their either. I did download the latest OS from them but don't assume it has the DST patches in there. I may email them and see what they say about that. Thanks for the help tho
The blackberry web site has detailed information on which OS versions have the updated DST tables, and which versions will need to be updated. Here's the link:

(link)

And for those of you on TM, short answer is OS 4.1.0.377 has the updated tables.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Andi
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

and T-Mobile U.S. still shows this lovely message:

Sorry, due to high volume of download demands there are no software downloads available at this time. Please try again later today when there are fewer concurrent connections.

Blackberry's site only lists 4.1.0.377 for T-Mobile Hungary
Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
VickyPaz

[QUOTE=Andi]and T-Mobile U.S. still shows this lovely message:

Sorry, due to high volume of download demands there are no software downloads available at this time. Please try again later today when there are fewer concurrent connections.

Yeah...getting the same thing. The last time, TM rep had me refresh the page and that seemed to work. Doesn't seem to be working now though.

Last edited by VickyPaz; 02-01-2007 at 12:57 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
VickyPaz

Quote:
Vicky--TMO here also. Please post their response--if any. I'll be curious.
Yes, I should hear back from them tomorrow or so and will post response here (if any).

I also checked out that site that Hokie linked but when I went to the page, it mentions .346 as the latest OS for TM (U.S.) and yet Hokie says .377 has the patches - so it seems we'll still need the patch.

Anyway, will wait and see what I hear back.

Last edited by VickyPaz; 02-01-2007 at 01:16 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I looked at the TMO site today, got the "high volume" BS, refreshed about 7-8 x and the download site came up, but still .346 is the newest version
Old 02-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
VickyPaz

Default Response from TMoble rep

This is the email response I got from TM rep. Seems pretty straightforward to me -- if this is correct info -- though have no reason yet to believe it isn't.

If anyone here thinks otherwise, let us know...

I am writing in reply to your inquiry into how Daylight Savings
Time will be handled this year for your Blackberry.

This is a great question! Fortunately this will not affect you
Victoria. When you turn on your Blackberry and it establishes its
connection to the tower, it automatically checks the time on the tower
and if the time is incorrect it will either automatically update, or
prompt you to select the correct time. This is a great feature that
solves a lot of problems, and you can use it to verify the time on your
home clocks as well. So just be certain on the morning of March 9 to
turn your Blackberry off and back on so it can check the time on the
tower.

To adjust the date and time, perform the following steps:

1. At the Home screen, scroll to the Options icon and click the
trackwheel.
2. Scroll to Date/Time and click the trackwheel.
3. Click Time Zone field and click Change Option.
4. Choose your time zone and click the trackwheel.
5. Scroll to Date/Time Source and click the trackwheel.
6. Scroll to Update Time and click the trackwheel.
7. Click the trackwheel again to open the menu and click Save

You can find out more by visiting Cell phones and wireless plans - Stick together with T-Mobile.
*Type xxx8220;time 8700xxx8221; in the Type Your Question box
*Click search.

Information about the Daylight Saving Time dates for this year can be
found at (link) Daylight Saving Time - Overview of Daylight Saving Time
Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
bgate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

I must differ - I have "patched" my XP system per M$ and now have an interesting issue. My calendars show correctly on my PC, but any all day/multi-day events in the swing time (March/April) are off one hour. The timed meetings are fine. very strange...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

The Tmobile response to Vicky is is complete disagreement with what the RIM site states.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #16
VickyPaz

Quote:
The Tmobile response to Vicky is is complete disagreement with what the RIM site states.
I know and I actually decided to call TM after and spoke to a rep who initially had no idea what I was even talking about. We spent about 20 or so minutes on the phone with going through the Blackerry site where it stated the Impact, etc.

It took us both to the TM site where you can upgrade your phone OS and the latest upgrade is .346. So the rep tells me that if I have that latest upgrade I should be OK. I don't know if I believe that. YET, there are no patches or anything listed on the TM site at the moment.

The BB site also mentions that the fix can be made on the user end (assuming that's us, the individual BB user) OR on the Administrative end (assuming that's the phone carrier) So perhaps for us, TM actually makes this change and all we have to do is update our phone times on the specific dates mentioned.

I'm just guessing here though because there really is no clear info on the BB site or any info at all on the TM site.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
VickyPaz

This is the page that TM users with .346 should go by (according to Blackberry's site). It sounds that the user (us) can do the time change manually or can access a patch (when time comes) OR it can be done via the administrator (Tmobile) directly pushed to our BBs. At least that's what I'm getting out of this...

BlackBerry Device Software Versions 4.1.0.344 through 4.1.0.365 and 4.1.0.380 except for v4.1.0.347

Administrators must apply a single patch file, which will apply the new DST rules, to each of the BlackBerry Device Software Versions 4.1.0.346 to 4.1.0.365 instances. The size of this file is approximately 10 KB.

See this table for a list of current service providers, BlackBerry smartphone models and BlackBerry Device Software versions that fall into this category. Click on the service provider name to go to their software download page.

After the patch has been deployed, users can confirm that it installed successfully. In the device options, click 2007 DST Patch.

PLANNED DEPLOYMENT OPTIONS

Over the wireless network

User Initiated: Using the browser on their BlackBerry smartphones, users can visit BlackBerry to download the appropriate patch automatically based on the version of their BlackBerry Device Software. You can also send the web site address in an email message to users.

Administrator Initiated (no user action required): The Administrator can wirelessly push the patch file to all supported BlackBerry smartphones.
Closed Thread