BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #221
kage13

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default DST patch applied to BB device...

Please Login to Remove!

I used my BB as a test to push the DST patch OTA an dit worked just fine. I was asked to reset the device within 5 min because of permissions being changed. The actual DST patch was not applied until maybe an hour later, no ill affects at all.

What I want to know is, would it be harmful for me to go ahead and deploy to remaining BB's (30 totaal) even though I have not applied the Exchange patch yet or rebased any calendar entries?
I'm fairly confident that very few users actually create calendar entries directly from their BB and our Exchange, BES and rebasing window is next weekend (3/4).
Thoughts, comments, ideas?

TIA.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #222
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint BES

so...how exactly do I run this set send as permission tool? I can't find a document on it
Old 02-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #223
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgray
How is this done? How long do you have to leave it configured like this?

Exchange 2000
BES 4.1
I used MDS proxy credentials for a little while in BES 4.0 until we made the BES server a SNAT client to our ISA 2004 firewall which obviated that. I've never used this feature in BES 4.1, but this seems to be where it hides these days:
  1. In BBM, click <ServerName>_MDS-CS_1, and click Edit Properties.
  2. Click Proxy in the left pane, then click the ... button in the right pane under Proxy Mappings.
  3. Click New to create a proxy mapping or Properties to edit an existing one.
I'd think this would solve the proxy authentication issue for the DST patch d/l. But, again, no direct experience. And so I also can't say how long it would have to be set this way, but it would certainly have to be until your last BB d/ls the patch.

HTH

Last edited by JRV; 02-22-2007 at 06:58 PM..
Old 02-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #224
Eva
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: cingular

has anyone installed the patch on a device that didnt need ? anything bad happen? I was using the push to device thinking that it was like the blackberry site that would query/look at the device first.

thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #225
Andyn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

I updated both my devices: 8700c and 7100i from the BB Browser then did a Hard Reset

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 02-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #226
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pej
Anyone else seeing these?
What version BES are you using? The devices showing up there are 7290, 8100 and 8700 on vendors AMX, T-Mobile US, Telefonica Latin America, and Entel, FWIW. You may want to update your Vendor.xml and Device.xml files, just in case yours are dated.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #227
pej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
What version BES are you using? The devices showing up there are 7290, 8100 and 8700 on vendors AMX, T-Mobile US, Telefonica Latin America, and Entel, FWIW. You may want to update your Vendor.xml and Device.xml files, just in case yours are dated.
We're on Domino 4.1sp1hf3. I just figured out the device.xml/vendor.xml intersections this morning (before reading your post) and created the same list you did .

Short of downloading software for each vendor/model and installing it, how would I get the latest vendor.xml and device.xml files?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #228
acf

Model: 8700c

Has anyone manually updated a device where the patch is "still running...". My main problem is that I have several of those running for a few days now and am wondering if I should just leave them be...?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #229
SoUnCool

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehilliard
Question rephrased:

Can the device updates be applied in conjunction with the client updates? Or does that confuse an already confusing scenario.

PC updates are being pushed immediately, but based on docs on RIM, I need to get the devices updated before running the CDO and calendar updates. Obviously, the lag between client updates and the calendar update leaves room for new meetings getting created and then set back an hour by the update tool. If I could go ahead with the device updates concurrent with the client updates, then I could do CDO and calendar tool a little quicker.

Thanks for any info.
this is what i am doing

exchange and windows clients are updated with DST patch

-this weekend applying exchange and BES CDO DST Patch >>
-next week devices are updated using usb cable or directly following a link on device, (NOT PUSHING THROUGH BES)
-not running calendar tool as it will blindly change time on all appointments even if they were created with correct time, users will manually check their calendar

questions> is this is a good idea to patch EXchange and BES with CDO DST patch and then update devices? or should i apply DST only on exchange and wait for BES untill all devices are upgraded?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #230
bbgirl

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||
Pushing means you don't have users ignoring their email, it's just less user intervention.

You shouldn't need the BES patch but check the document for your mail platform in the First Post.

huh? this is the whole point, to update the cdo...what are you talking about.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #231
bbgirl

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoUnCool
this is what i am doing

-next week devices are updated using usb cable or directly following a link on device, (NOT PUSHING THROUGH BES)
-not running calendar tool as it will blindly change time on all appointments even if they were created with correct time, users will manually check their calendar

questions> is this is a good idea to patch EXchange and BES with CDO DST patch and then update devices? or should i apply DST only on exchange and wait for BES untill all devices are upgraded?

I must be missing something here. why waste time pushing to devices if you dont update the BES first. hello

question. Don't you experience issues when your cdo's dont match in the first place. So if you dont update this cdo same issues. times wont match.

thats pretty much it.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #232
SoUnCool

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgirl
I must be missing something here. why waste time pushing to devices if you dont update the BES first. hello

question. Don't you experience issues when your cdo's dont match in the first place. So if you dont update this cdo same issues. times wont match.

thats pretty much it.
right now i have only one test exchange box has CDO patch on it, there are few users on that server, their workstations are patched, devices are patched too, and reported no problems, only part not patched is BES,
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #233
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Default Software config push still not working

I've got a ticket open with RIM, but while I'm on hold for the hour+ it takes to get ahold of someone, I've been doing a lot of hunting around (this site is so awesome).

The software config is not showing any errors anywhere after it's applied to the handful of users I'm using as guinea pigs (7100i and 7520 devices).

The Configuration Status for these users all show 'Check Required', and both the System Status and Application Status is blank when I look in the Handheld Config Tool.

RIM verified that I have the software configuration set up correctly and that it 'should' be working. We have other software configs for other apps (TeleNav, Freedom Keyboard) that have pushed out fine.

I found a posting on this site about the PackageCache folder, so I started looking in that direction. Under that folder there is a 'FILESHARE_servername', then another folder for 'research in motion'. Under that folder there are folders for all of the other applications - EXCEPT the DST Upgrade folder.

I'm guessing that this is why the software isn't pushing out, but I don't know enough about software configs to be sure. The posting also indicated that i could stop the BB Policy service, delete the PackageCache folder, then restart the BB Policy service and the PackageCache folder would be recreated within 4 hours.

Any input on this? I'm still on hold with RIM......
Old 02-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #234
roux

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular
Default Manual download from each device

Since I only have 10 devices and we've had some issues with the exchange patch I'd rather do the patch manually.

Has anyone done this? What are the ramifications?

BTW-You have to just love Microsoft for the hate-their-customer releases.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #235
acf

Anyone have any word on when the 3.6.x and above patches will be released. The BB site says it will be today.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #236
acf

Quote:
Originally Posted by roux
Since I only have 10 devices and we've had some issues with the exchange patch I'd rather do the patch manually.

Has anyone done this? What are the ramifications?
It went easily for me. Just have them browse to BlackBerry
Old 02-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #237
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoUnCool
this is what i am doing

Every bit of info I have seen this week says that the devices should be done after the calendar re-base but BEFORE the CDO. Whatever happens you will have a 1 hour difference until all pieces are patched but I know that if MS and RIM say do the CDO last I am going for that, as it seems to be the only thing which hasn't changed this week (well, only a little anyway). We are telling all BB users not to work with calendar items next week and you can always disallow wireless cal sync if you want (we are!).

It just seems to me that the CDO change is the most risky, so it makes sense to me to leave it last. FWIW, we are doing this:

This w/end - Server OS patch
Starting today - Ask users to patch their BB
Next Week I - d/top OS patch
Next Week II - calendar re-base
Next week III - BES push of the update to users who haven't done the patch (assuming I trust DSTQeusry :->)
Next weekend - CDO
Day after - Hide :->

cheers
Stu
Old 02-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #238
zip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by acf
Has anyone manually updated a device where the patch is "still running...". My main problem is that I have several of those running for a few days now and am wondering if I should just leave them be...?
I've had devices in this state. Pulling the battery, and then bringing the device back up has allowed the push to continue, and install successfully.

-zip
Old 02-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #239
acf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip
I've had devices in this state. Pulling the battery, and then bringing the device back up has allowed the push to continue, and install successfully.

-zip
Thanks! Will try.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #240
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwhite
Day after - Hide :->
I'm about ready to do this now.