Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
B4NFTR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Default Why I returned my 8800

Please Login to Remove!

I have been waiting for the 8800 like everyone else and thought it would be the perfect blend of the 8703 and Pearl. Well, after 10 days, it was time to decide if I want to keep it or return it. The cons have it (actually UPS has it now).

Pros:
It is sexy like the Pearl, the cool factor is a 10! The trackball is functional, but often needs cleaning when used in real life situations (The Pearl needs monthly cleanings). The voice dialing feature and enhanced multimedia compatibility are nice to have as is the memory expansion slot. The full keyboard is a big plus over the sure-type Pearl.

Cons:
Typing on the device is clunky. I don't have oversized mitts or big digits and yet I often hit the wrong key when I type quickly. Because the keys on the 8703 have a space between letters, one tends to be more accurate when typing on the 8703. My 8800 GPS also was a miserable failure. It took 3 calls to Cingular to be sure the service was active and another call to TeleNAV to be sure my account was setup and still no GPS. They ruled it was possibly a defective GPS receiver as I could never get it working (inside, outside, by a window). Another drawback, the 8800 and Pearl are less receptive to accidental drops or bangs. One of our users is on his 3rd Pearl because of minor mishaps. The shiny new 8800 would serve a similar fate if put in the hands of the average clutzy user. Also, the size factor comes into play. The 8800 is a bit longer than the 8703 and in reality it is not that much thinner.

In summary
The 8703 is the boxy Volvo. It is not all that sexy to look at but it works great and it is durable. The 8800 is the Ferrari, it looks great but one fender bender and it never runs the same. With the extra gadgets, you also need to visit the dealer to fix all those little quirks and it will cost you in the long run (downtime, frustration and money).
Old 03-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

A very fair review that I think accurately sums up the differences.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
BoogieNYC

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Response...

There's no question that for the average corporate user who has little emotional investment in this phone, it's prolly overkill. However, for those of us who rabidly seek out new techno-toys, I think the 8800's a big improvement over the 87xx. Two weeks out of the gate, it doesn't shock me that the GPS is acting a bit wonky; once the feature-set is researched and reviewed, I'm sure someone will come out with something that will mesh it with maps and/or directions. It should work properly right out of the gate, but that's neither here nor there.

As for the size factor, I think it's mostly subjective. I've got medium to large hands and I find typing to be fairly simple. The only times I usually get typos is when I hit the wrong key -- in other words, it's not me "missing" the desired key but hitting one key when I expect another key to be there (if that makes sense). It's basically me not being used to the keyboard; whether that will change in time, I dunno. It's certainly not the ideal keyboard I'd be happy with for the rest of my life, but based on the size and the form-factor, I think they did a great job.

I'm curious as to the longevity of the trackball; since this is my first BB, I have no prior click-wheel experience -- pro or con -- so I really happen to like using the ball for the most part. The negative, I find, is scrolling up an entire page with the ball when it's prolly easier using a wheel. Perhaps they could employ both, not only for security (if the ball dies, the wheel works) but so if one is not functioning well the other could be a back-up. It's prolly overkill, but then again, they happen to think of everything (or so it seems) so this might not be far off.

As far as size and bulk, based on looks alone I'd rather use the 88xx. The 87xx looks clunky. However, if it had the exact same feature set, battery, performance and the ball, I'd be happy with it. My focus is on GPS (the future thereof), the ball -- which I like, the extra battery life and the media features. If the 87xx had all that in a slightly less tasty package, I'd have already nabbed one from Verizon. My main concern vis-a-vis the 87xx -- at least at this point -- is buying a device like this and not having some sort of expansion slot. 2GB micro SD's are super-cheap, and the ability to back things up and/or restore, or at least load stuff into the device for playback or attachments, seems like a no-brainer -- if not today, then in six months or so from now. If the 87xx had a slot plus all the 88's features, I'd be more than happy to forgo the form-factor. It's a plus, but it's substance, not style, that is really the reason why I like the 8800.

Having said all that, I'm waiting for the 88xx through VZW. The biggest substantive difference between this and the 87xx -- or any phone -- is the network. And like some among us have observed, I'd rather have a crappy, featureless phone (except for a WinMobile ;) on a great network than something with all sorts of bells and whistles that doesn't always work.

Either way, B4NFTR, good objective, real-world review.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

A fair review I agree. I have had no issues with the GPS. Have used TN, Spot, Wayfinder and Mapquest and no issues at all. I have gotten used to the keyboard, and do fine now. The next OS should have the spell checker built in ala the 8300. What is bothering me the most is the laggy OS and unless an upgrade smoothes that over, the BB's need a better processor at this point.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I think that many who do not like the 8800 will be happy with the CIngular 8300. Yes, I said Cingular. The keyboard look more friendly and many want the camera badly.

I can not belive that we are going to have so many choices!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
I think that many who do not like the 8800 will be happy with the CIngular 8300. Yes, I said Cingular.
No one is arguing (besides you). Who cares (besides you)?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
bmw1986
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

So the 8300 is going to be hitting Cingular first? Would you say the 8800 Keyboard is similar to the Treo 700p/w/wx setup?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1986
So the 8300 is going to be hitting Cingular first? Would you say the 8800 Keyboard is similar to the Treo 700p/w/wx setup?
It's a very nice looking device and I would liken the keyboard to the 8700 series style. I'm actually a little miffed cause I think I might like the 8300 a little more than the 8800.

Oh, who am I kidding... I'll still get the 8300 when it comes out. I need help!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas90guru
A very fair review that I think accurately sums up the differences.
...as long as you can recognize the subjective points in the review...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
...as long as you can recognize the subjective points in the review...
Every review is subjective.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
B4NFTR

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Default Comments

Thanks all for the comments...

I am a big fan of all new devices and I will be first in line for the next ones that come out. I try not to be overly critical in my assessement, but there are shortcomings that need to be discussed. A sexy case design cannot compensate for other problems (think Delorian). It is also painfully clear that the carriers are not able to train their support staff quick enough on the new gear. One Cingular data support person never heard of GPS, let alone the 8800 integrated GPS.

I have resolved that the perfect device may never exist. But, it is sure fun testing them out. Blackberries aside, I am anxious to try out the iPhone as a fun personal phone/toy. Maybe we will be surprised and have Blackberry Connect support for iPhone. Now that would be cool. Anyone have the SDK?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
BoogieNYC

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

B4NFTR:

I agree, the ideal phone may not exist but the chase is fun nevertheless ;)

The thing is that since we need to sign contracts, we're married to these things for a year or more; for me, had I known my Razr wouldn't make it a year without crapping out both batteries, I would have opted for something different.

As far as the 88xx goes, for me, it seems just about perfect. But while I acknowledge it'd be nice to have WiFi, perchaps a digicam, 3G and a veritable host of other stuff, all I really need is a solid phone with reliable connectivity, reliable hardware, a good/efficient battery, good sound and the ability to assign specific ringtones by CallerID. Beyond that, being able to access e-mail and the net is a big-time plus. Otherwise, it's all gravy -- media, a removable slot, GPS, etc. -- nice, but not crucial. I could very easily get by with VZW's 87xx but now that the 88xx is out, there's no real point -- again, it's not just about need but about timing and about being married to a device -- and a carrier -- for a year or more.

Let's hope we are all getting closer to finding out own perfect device ;)
Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 AM   #13
fatman

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieNYC
B4NFTR:

I agree, the ideal phone may not exist but the chase is fun nevertheless ;)
I couldn't agree more It appears (introspectively speaking) the fun is in chase. Now that my wallet is $300+ lighter and I have this new toy (8800) which I had been anxiously waiting for, I already feel a bit bored with it... but there is light at the end of the tunnel - perhaps the 9x series
Old 03-14-2007, 02:13 AM   #14
FarSeide
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

why I returned my 8800 ?

1. I was still within my 30 days
2. 83xx is coming.
3. Ordered 8700c for $99 while waiting for 83xx to hit the shelves.
Closed Thread