Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
hoopitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers
Question Free Nav Program?

Please Login to Remove!

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this in, but i just bought an 8800 and liked the idea of that Telenav program speaking out the directions to you, but i'm not too big on the idea of paying $10 for that.

Does anyone know of a program that does the same thing but is free?
Old 05-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
jonbost
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: 23f7d309
Carrier: AT&T

MapQuest Navigator is great. I am sorry but I do not remember the address for this program. Just search and you should be able to fin the right address and what version of BB you need to use to install it. There is not officaly a version for the 8800.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Moved to the GPS & Mapping section.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I don't believe you'll find a free program with voice directions. You might want to see if you can find information here about the new version of BBMaps. TeleNav, MapQuest and Garmin are subscription based. Also take a look at Stinsonddog's BB Tips as he has a lot of up to date information on GPS for the Blackberry.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
rickthornton
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I haven't seen anything particularly good that is free. Mapquest is only available for Sprint/Nextel currently and I believe it is priced similar to Telenav.

Nav4all.com offers what is now a free GPS application with voice directions and a POI database. While it works, it is not ready for prime time in my opinion. It is obviously a product designed for Europe primarily. It has a ton of features, but IMO is not particularly easy to use. It also has a bug on its distance calculation feature. You can give it a try and see what you think for yourself.

Basically, I don't consider Nav4all a real replacement for Telenav. I would love to find a free application that works well, but I just returned from a trip to Los Angeles last week, and having Telenav gave me a lot more confidence driving around an unfamiliar big city than I would have had without it. Heck I spend $10.00 day on lunch, so in the grand scheme of things, I think its well worth that peace of mind. Just my opinion.
Closed Thread