Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
kissysuzuki

Model: 8800
Carrier: Smartone Vodafone
Default Address Book Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I've been using an 8800 for a bit now, and like a lot of things about it. However, there are a few key things that are "missing", or maybe I just don't know how to do them.

1) Let's say I'm in the middle of texting my friend Maria, and want to add the phone number of a restaurant. I have to: save the message draft, switch application to the address book, fine the restaurant entry, open it, scroll over the number, hit copy, then go back to the home-screen and the message draft, and hit paste. Is there REALLY no easier way to add a contact detail to an email or text??

2) Another scenario-- I get an email from my friend Jayson on my Blackberry. I already have his phone number in my address book, but no other info. To add his email to that existing entry, I have to: scroll over his address, hit options, hit show address (because otherwise I'll just be copying "Jayson Chan"), hit copy, then switch applications to address book, look up Jayson Chan, hit edit, go down to email, hit paste, and save. Is there REALLY no easier way to add a contact detail to an EXISTING contact?

3) Just curious, how many contacts can the BB 8800 hold? I am still trying to figure out PocketMac and transfer a lot of my contacts over (which will eliminate some of my annoyance about issue #2, probably), but Pocketmac just spins and spins and spins and nothing happens... But when I finally do get it to work, should I try to have only a "select" group of contacts on my BB, or can it hold like thousands and thousands, and I might as well throw everybody on there, from the real estate agent I've only contacted once, to a restaurant in Bangkok, etc?

Thanks so much! Apologies if these turn out to be stupid questions, I'm still a newbie...
- Samantha
Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
bpdunsta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissysuzuki View Post
Hello,

1) Let's say I'm in the middle of texting my friend Maria, and want to add the phone number of a restaurant. I have to: save the message draft, switch application to the address book, fine the restaurant entry, open it, scroll over the number, hit copy, then go back to the home-screen and the message draft, and hit paste. Is there REALLY no easier way to add a contact detail to an email or text??
You don't have to save the message as draft, just use the application switcher (ALT + Back) and scroll to the application you want, or the home screen. I map application switcher to my convenience key.

Quote:
2) Another scenario-- I get an email from my friend Jayson on my Blackberry. I already have his phone number in my address book, but no other info. To add his email to that existing entry, I have to: scroll over his address, hit options, hit show address (because otherwise I'll just be copying "Jayson Chan"), hit copy, then switch applications to address book, look up Jayson Chan, hit edit, go down to email, hit paste, and save. Is there REALLY no easier way to add a contact detail to an EXISTING contact?
I don't know of any better way to do this. Sorry.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

1. You can attach address book entries to some messages like MMS and email. But otherwise, as you described and bpdunsta described, that is what you must do.
2. Yep.
3. Holds lots of them, thousands. Some people have 8-10,000... Limited only by memory I believe.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Lirria

PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Default Contact

So - how do you expand the memory then?

I have a 8800, with about 6300 contacts and tons of email and I'm starting to run out of room - what do I do?

Lirria
Old 05-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirria View Post
So - how do you expand the memory then?

I have a 8800, with about 6300 contacts and tons of email and I'm starting to run out of room - what do I do?

Lirria
delete some mail, etc....

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Guess you could just make a note of the email address, switch tasks, and enter it to save yourself the hassle of cutting and pasting. ;)

It's really not that bad. Once you're used to getting around it's a quick process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirria View Post
How much memory do you actually have left? Keep in mind that "running out of memory" on a BB isn't the same as it is on a PC. Even 1MB is a ton of room.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-10-2007 at 06:13 PM..
Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Lirria

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
How much memory do you actually have left? Keep in mind that "running out of memory" on a BB isn't the same as it is on a PC. Even 1MB is a ton of room.
Actually I'm not sure - I have the lovely task of supporting the Executives with their Blackberry's and don't have one to work on - One of them is worried that he is running out of memory. I can't just delete the emails, they will then be removed off the Exchange server and that's not good.

My boss purchased a 2GB microSD card for each of the 8800s with the understanding that the contacts\email could use that memory. From everything I have read, it doesn't but I don't have one to play with so it's hard to say. So I'm hoping somebody out there can help.

I mean is there someway to only have x number of emails on the Blackberry without having to delete them? Just grasping at straws here.

Thanks!

Lirria
Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #8
k2raus

Default help . . . newbie here

I am a total newbie with this. I will be getting a new Verizon BB 8830 World Edition for my boss. My biggest and first start-up task will be getting her 1,000+ email addresses on it. Can I import contact information/email addresses from a comma-separated file (CSV) file? I don't have the BB yet but want to start getting her addresses together now. It's a long story but her address book got vaporized and I am starting from scratch. Also, can someone direct me to a good list of FAQs to help me get up as much information as possible together before I get going on this?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Lira, not sure how you got that position, wish I could support execs directly.

However to delete emails without affecting the server.
1 - change Message Options in Email Reconciliation to prompt!

Or

2 - highligt the date of emails - in list view on the unit, and select thr date and simply select Delete
Prior.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Lirria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
Lira, not sure how you got that position, wish I could support execs directly.

However to delete emails without affecting the server.
1 - change Message Options in Email Reconciliation to prompt!

Or

2 - highligt the date of emails - in list view on the unit, and select thr date and simply select Delete
Prior.
Jagga -

Sorry for the delay in responding - I actually took a vacation! Thanks - I'll keep that in mind - I actually got a hold of one of the bb's and it turns out it has over 32mb free - so no worries - they just like to stress.

Not sure you really want to support these guys directly - for me it unfortunately means phone calls at all hours, they travel the world and when things don't work it's a major headache. But we are a small company and I get to support everybody - the execs are just the most annoying!!.

Thanks for the response!

Lirria
Closed Thread