Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
FastEddie

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default MP3 quality issues?

Please Login to Remove!

Any thoughts on the MP3 player quality? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but mine sounds terrible. The instruments typically sound decent, but the vocals sound like they are coming from a 70s boom box that is inside a metal garbage can. Maybe I'm expecting too much?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
nimocone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Are you using the built-in speakers or headset? If it's the speakers, they will have a hard time giving full, rich sound because of their size/limitations.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
FastEddie

Model: 8830

Stereo headset. Actually, the built-in speakers sound better than the headset.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
rickthornton

Model: 9530

My 8800 sounds fine through a headset. It does not have quite the volume of my IPOD, but overall it is very respectable. I would try a differenct headset and if the problem persists, it would seem there is a problem with your unit.

BTW, are you using an adapter plug, or a stereo phone headset. I much prefer the sound from a good headset with the adapter then I did from the Jacbra 220 that I tried.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
hughwpage

Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Separate problem for me.. Any help is appreciated. Probably ignorance on my part.

My songs are loaded onto the BB, and fit the proper format to be played through my 8800 but they only come through one ear bud of my headset when I play them.

Help...
Old 05-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
Stereo headset. Actually, the built-in speakers sound better than the headset.
That seems to indicate an issue with your headset/earphones/adapter. Are you using ones from RIM or are you using one via an adapter? I'd make sure that your headset is actually compatible as the 2.5mm jack isn't a standard one. Similarly, if you're using an adapter make sure you using one that is designed to work with a Blackberry. Seidio's adapter works really well in my experience.

I've never had issues with MP3 sound quality with my 8800, Seidio adapter and Ety ER-6i's. The 8800 isn't the best MP3 player in terms of audio quality out there but it's definitely pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughwpage View Post
My songs are loaded onto the BB, and fit the proper format to be played through my 8800 but they only come through one ear bud of my headset when I play them.
See my reply above. If you picked up a generic 2.5mm adapter it's probably the issue. If you're using a headset/earphones with a 2.5mm jack and it's not from RIM it's probably the problem. Also check to make sure that you have properly seated the plug.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-28-2007 at 05:46 PM..
Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
hughwpage

Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Thanks Takeshi, I'm using an adapter from Radio Shack which I guess must be the problem. I'll splurge for a real headset! Thanks again
Old 05-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
rickthornton

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughwpage View Post
Thanks Takeshi, I'm using an adapter from Radio Shack which I guess must be the problem. I'll splurge for a real headset! Thanks again
My experience with the Radio Shack adapter is that it was only mono. As takeshi said, the Seido is designed to work the 8800 plug configuration. With the correct adapter, any decent earbuds or headset should sound fine. Make sure you follow the instruction to plug the headset into the adapter first and then into the BB. Not sure why it matters, but in my experience it does.
Closed Thread