Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
sgm-co
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: verizon
Default trick to cancel verizon contract

Please Login to Remove!

anyone had creative ideas to cancel my verizon contract and keep my old number? One person told me tell them I am moving to a place where Verizon doesn't coverage. Does that work?

Ideas?

SGM
Old 06-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
riddick021
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 800w
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm-co View Post
anyone had creative ideas to cancel my verizon contract and keep my old number? One person told me tell them I am moving to a place where Verizon doesn't coverage. Does that work?

Ideas?

SGM
Slip the CSR handling your cancellation $200 and they should cancel it. Not too many people know about this little trick but its really the only way of getting out of a contract your agreed to. Don't tell too many people about this or everyones going to use this to get out of their contract and it wont work anymore.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
rkkeller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Just "port your number" with Verizon to a different carrier. Then after the "port" is complete ignore any letters from Verizon and eventually they stop sending them. I am not saying to do this but it will work.

They can not stop you from "porting" your number. I know a couple people that did this and went to Tmobile.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
SmurfBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
Just "port your number" with Verizon to a different carrier. Then after the "port" is complete ignore any letters from Verizon and eventually they stop sending them. I am not saying to do this but it will work.

They can not stop you from "porting" your number. I know a couple people that did this and went to Tmobile.

I would figure they would send the account to a collection company.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
SmurfBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:

Ideas?

SGM

Dude, I was in the military for several years, and saved a copy of different military orders sending me places. I would recreate those orders and just make them to a place were cell phones don't work; like Antarctica or something.

I have done that with Verizon, Nextel and Cingular.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
leibdav1

Model: 8330

Not that there's anything wrong with what you guys are talking about, except for the fraud.

You entered into a contract with Verizon Wireless. It is your responsibility to live up to the terms of that contract. If you want to leave VZW and port your number to another carrier, you will probably have to pay some sort of ETF. While you may try to find and exploit a loop hole in their service contract, you would probably just be doing a lot of extra work for very little gain.

While I'm a firm believer in saving money, I would much rather pay the ETF and port out than try to figure out a way to get out my contract in an extra-legal fashion. You wouldn't be the first to try this type of a scheme. Maybe you'd get lucky, but more than likely you won't.

Understand that to convince VZW that you are moving to a place that doesn't have VZW coverage, you must provide actual proof that you live there, not just a letter stating that you're moving (like a utility bill).
Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
biggdogg40509
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 247B16AC
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfBerry View Post
I would figure they would send the account to a collection company.
they will. i did the same thing when AT&T merged with Cingular, as they still would not put me on a "true" billed cell plan-i was stuck in pre-paid via debit card forever. then i contacted Tmo got on a plan, and ported the number in the same day. i canceled the debit card, still owing a month's payment.

I actually still get collection notices from a Sprint account i had 12 years ago, so your best bet if you truly want to get out is pay the fee. but try porting first.
unless bill collectors don't bother you.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
rogermac1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: The New AT&T

There is no trick. Your bill is likely 1/2 of what the whole contract cancellation would be. Just pay the fee.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Ratdog

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A

Quote:

Ideas?

SGM
Yeah,

Go over their download limit, they'll save you the trouble. .........oops sorry, didn't see the part about wanting to keep your number. This wouldn't work in this case.

Last edited by Ratdog; 06-01-2007 at 11:44 AM..
Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Many times the new carrier will pay the fee just to get your business. I think TMo does this....never tried myself. It's the only ethical way besides paying the fee yourself.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Naked Wife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

These threads are funny. I would also recommend just paying the ETF, but to each his own.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

Don't forget if you stiff the carrier you'll have a very very hard time coming back unless it's prepaid. Never rule out coming back to a carrier. I've done it several times when I thought I'd never be using them again..
Old 06-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfBerry View Post
Dude, I was in the military for several years, and saved a copy of different military orders sending me places. I would recreate those orders and just make them to a place were cell phones don't work; like Antarctica or something.

I have done that with Verizon, Nextel and Cingular.
I would recommend paying the fee. You signed the contract, so be mature adult and do the honorable thing which YOU signed the contract to do... which is pay the bill each month and pay the cancellation if you didn't keep it for the contractual amount of time.

@Smurf... so you forged US Government Dept of Def documents? I certainly would not be bragging about that on here (or anywhere), as well as bragging about defrauding the carriers for the fee with your forged documents. Not smart, imho. That's multiple civilian charges of forgery and fraud, let alone whatever the military would have to say.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Wife View Post
These threads are funny.
Actually, they're pretty pathetic.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
sangkyu324

PIN: N/A

i would also recommend paying the ETF.....

another situation might be to have someone take over your contract for you, which doesn't allow you to keep your number, but your options are limited (without trying to fraud the carrier - which i do not recommend).
Old 06-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Actually, they're pretty pathetic.
They are actually sad.

No wonder WE pay more, because of people conning businesses out of legitimate charges.

We have to deal with unscrupulous people like this, as well, in my business I own.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #17
sgm-co
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: verizon
Default Illegal

I was not suggesting anything illegal. Just a semi-quick way of getting out of the agreement sooner then later. I will stick with my contract for now of pay the cancellation fee to get out of the contract earlier if that is the direction I go in. I already chatted with Cingular and it sounds like they aren't willing to credit me the $200 Verizon is going to hit me with to cancel.

I was thinking of faking my death. Think that would work?

SGM
Old 06-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #18
husef9926

Man up and pay the early termination fee. These types of threads really irritate me.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

VZW ETF is $175...
Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #20
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by husef9926 View Post
Man up and pay the early termination fee. These types of threads really irritate me.

Me too.
Closed Thread