Old 06-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Default Outer Casing Hardware Issue - Screws Stripped/Case Coming Apart

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. I have a Blackberry 8700g. I noticed that on the side where the trackwheel is, where the 2 halves of the outer casing come together...well, it is coming apart. you can press it in and it kind of pops back to where it was, with a little "click."
being the mechanical engineer i am (i am actually a mechanical engineer), i opened up the battery door to check to see if the 3 main torque screws were lose. to my surprise, the holes were all stripped and no matter how much the screws turned, they would not tighten.

my conclusion is that if i am going to fix this problem i will need a new outer casing (most likely will purchase from ebay or some other place online). will i need any other replacement parts too? if someone could help me out with this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. i am good with fixing things, but i am new to the blackberry world. WOULD I BE ABLE TO BUY A SLIGHTLY BIGGER TORQUE SCREW...WOULD THAT FIX IT? (sorry for the caps, but i wanted to emphasize this question).

so yea, the case seems to be lose on one side, and the sockets where the 3 main screws (that are exposed when you take off the battery door) are, seem to be stripped since the screws will not tighten.

-Josh

Last edited by JGBerry; 06-13-2007 at 07:19 AM..
Old 06-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
bubbaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
Hi. I have a Blackberry 8700g. I noticed that on the side where the trackwheel is, where the 2 halves of the outer casing come together...well, it is coming apart. you can press it in and it kind of pops back to where it was, with a little "click."
being the mechanical engineer i am (i am actually a mechanical engineer), i opened up the battery door to check to see if the 3 main torque screws were lose. to my surprise, the holes were all stripped and no matter how much the screws turned, they would not tighten.

my conclusion is that if i am going to fix this problem i will need a new outer casing (most likely will purchase from ebay or some other place online). will i need any other replacement parts too? if someone could help me out with this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. i am good with fixing things, but i am new to the blackberry world. WOULD I BE ABLE TO BUY A SLIGHTLY BIGGER TORQUE SCREW...WOULD THAT FIX IT? (sorry for the caps, but i wanted to emphasize this question).

so yea, the case seems to be lose on one side, and the sockets where the 3 main screws (that are exposed when you take off the battery door) are, seem to be stripped since the screws will not tighten.

-Josh
I would try oversized screws first, before I wasted money on a new case. You can get an oem housing off of ebay for about $55 shipped, or a few screws for a couple of bucks from a hardware store. If you can't find oversized screws, get some replacement screws that are not stripped. Get some good glue such as gorilla glue and put a small drop in the hole and screw the new screw in. Try doing this before you go to bed and maybe set a book on your bb(with power off) to hold it together while it dries. If you go the new screw/glue method, at most you are going to be out a few bucks if it doesn't work. Me personally, I wouldn't dump $55 into an 8700 series bb unless you are under contract, or cannot afford a newer model bb.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaman View Post
I would try oversized screws first, before I wasted money on a new case. You can get an oem housing off of ebay for about $55 shipped, or a few screws for a couple of bucks from a hardware store. If you can't find oversized screws, get some replacement screws that are not stripped. Get some good glue such as gorilla glue and put a small drop in the hole and screw the new screw in. Try doing this before you go to bed and maybe set a book on your bb(with power off) to hold it together while it dries. If you go the new screw/glue method, at most you are going to be out a few bucks if it doesn't work. Me personally, I wouldn't dump $55 into an 8700 series bb unless you are under contract, or cannot afford a newer model bb.
a hardware store would have screws that small? i guess it doesn't even matter exactly what kind of head it has...it doesn't have to be a torque screw head. hmm... well i guess i'll just see how bad it gets before i go out and completely disassemble it and buy new screws.

-Josh
Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
bubbaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

The best place to check would probably be an optical store. With some many size/styles of frames, I'm sure they would have an assortment of small screws.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
The best place to check would probably be an optical store. With some many size/styles of frames, I'm sure they would have an assortment of small screws.
so from my problem ,do you think it is just an outer case issue and it just needs to be tightened? or do you think something more serious is going on?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
schaefermt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

Try BBRepairshop.com They have many parts including just the case for the 8700. You could buy it and install it yourself or send it to them and have them install it.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
bubbaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
so from my problem ,do you think it is just an outer case issue and it just needs to be tightened? or do you think something more serious is going on?
The only way to tell for sure is to take it apart and have a look. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, you can have someone do it for you such as the repair shop listed in the above post.

Another hint,

Check out the prices at the online repair shop BEFORE you send it off to them. Looking at bbrepairshop, they would want $109.99 to replace your housing. I checked their shipping and for overnight shipping back to you is an additional $46(using my zipcode which in Nebraska and they are in TX). Now, on top of these prices, remember, that you need to ship it to them which will cost you probably another $25 if you overnight it to them to be repaired.

1.) Total Cost to HAVE IT repaired: $180.99(and you will be without it for a few days) and this is if it is ONLY the housing that needs replaced.

2.) If the screws are just stripped, maybe a few bucks in materials

3.) New oem housing done yourself, about $55

4.) Or buy a good used BB off of ebay for about $170-$190

Me personally, I would go with option 2, then 3, and then throw it away and buy a different one before I sent it off and paid that much to replace a housing. Same with the screens if you ever have to replace them, buy them of ebay for $5 instead of the $50 some places want. You don't even have to take your 8700 apart to replace them.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
FSUFAN1200
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

bubbaman,

You think along the same line that I do!!

Nice Post...........

Matt
Old 06-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
The only way to tell for sure is to take it apart and have a look. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, you can have someone do it for you such as the repair shop listed in the above post.

Another hint,

Check out the prices at the online repair shop BEFORE you send it off to them. Looking at bbrepairshop, they would want $109.99 to replace your housing. I checked their shipping and for overnight shipping back to you is an additional $46(using my zipcode which in Nebraska and they are in TX). Now, on top of these prices, remember, that you need to ship it to them which will cost you probably another $25 if you overnight it to them to be repaired.

1.) Total Cost to HAVE IT repaired: $180.99(and you will be without it for a few days) and this is if it is ONLY the housing that needs replaced.

2.) If the screws are just stripped, maybe a few bucks in materials

3.) New oem housing done yourself, about $55

4.) Or buy a good used BB off of ebay for about $170-$190

Me personally, I would go with option 2, then 3, and then throw it away and buy a different one before I sent it off and paid that much to replace a housing. Same with the screens if you ever have to replace them, buy them of ebay for $5 instead of the $50 some places want. You don't even have to take your 8700 apart to replace them.
I am definitely not sending it off to be repaired. i am already talking with someone in getting another 8700.

if i buy slightly bigger screws at a store, and then screw them in, it should re-do the thread pattern in the plastic and secure a tight fit. however, if the problem is actually not with the outer casing but something on the inside...well then i am going to have issues.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
bubbaman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUFAN1200 View Post
bubbaman,

You think along the same line that I do!!

Nice Post...........

Matt
FSUFAN,

You might agree on the BB but other than that, GO HUSKERS!
Closed Thread