Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
pdxchick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Day 3 with the 8830 - Phone Problems

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

I do 4000-5000 minutes per month on my phone and just switched from the 7130 to the 8830. Here are a few issues I am having, tried searching and could not find any info so I thought I would post:

1) PHONE HANGS
When I am dialing out and at the same time I receive an incoming call, the phone freezes. Even after waiting a bit, it is stuck. I can still get incoming calls but when I go to call, it will say "Conference Work" instead of "Call Work" when I push the menu key at a contact. When I push a speed dial key it enters that number instead of the speed dial in this suspended mode. This has happened once per day, and I have to remove and reinsert the battery.

2) TOUCH TONE NOT ACTIVATED
This could be a setting but I dial a number daily to get a key code, and since I do this daily I know the menu prompts. When I call, the phone can't recognize I am entering a menu prompt ahead of time. I have to wait for the prompt (I am trying to use IVR shortcuts). Maybe I need to change Voice Dialing, which i am not using but it thinks I am?

3) VERIZON STILL HAS TYPO FOR VOICEMAIL ALERT
Whenever I get a voicemail, it has a count and spells urgent "UREGNT". I can't believe this passed their testing, as it was like that for the 7130.

4) BATTERY LIFE PRETTY LOW
Any update on an extended battery in the works?

On the plus side, the interface, crisp color, and the trackball are all pluses. Also, the on/off reboot time is fast (seconds vs. minutes on my old phone). Enterprise activation was a breeze and calendar sync with BES is working for me on both the mac and PC.

Any insights on the above would be helpful. I never had to reset the 7130 ever.

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: vzw

I went from 8703 to 8830 and I do about 7,000min/month.

If I'm dialing out as another comes in, i ALWAYS lose both calls. Happened with my 8703 too though, so no change there.

Can't comment on 2&3

Re: battery life, I quickly switched the huge seidio battery on my 8703, so I can't compare 8830 battery to original 8703 battery. But I can say that it isn't nearly enough for me. I've been keeping track every day and I'm dead by 2 or 3 on weekdays. My seidio battery in my 8703 was unbelievable, rarely under 50% by the end of a day, which is fine bc I charge every night. Nothing bothers me more than a dead battery near the end of the day. I may be going back to my 8703 and wait out the 8300 assuming it will eventually have an extended battery as I'm not optomistic about an extended battery for this thing. The back cover design is nice, but so tight that I cant possibly see a scenario for a big battery.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

yet more proof th Vorizen AND CDMA carriers SUXORS
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
PROXVI

PIN: N/A

I am having the exact same problems. And I also have a problem with the microphone sensititvity. (If you dont hold close to your mouth the other party can not hear well, unless I am in a room that is 100% free of ambient noise.)

The battery problem however will subside as you use the battery for a week or two. You will notice that until that time it will not be able to charge to 100%. Once it is conditioned to take a full charge the battery life is quite good.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
Except for the coverage..
Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

[QUOTE=forevergreen;548932]I went from 8703 to 8830 and I do about 7,000min/month.

If I'm dialing out as another comes in, i ALWAYS lose both calls. Happened with my 8703 too though, so no change there.

[QUOTE]

I think this is just a Blackberry issue overall. I've had this issue with every unit I've had. If I'm dialing and another call comes in as I'm pressing buttons to dial, the screen will just read incoming call with the phone number and I won't be able to answer. It will just ring until it goes to voicemail. Very annoying.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #7
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHummel View Post
I think this is just a Blackberry issue overall. I've had this issue with every unit I've had. If I'm dialing and another call comes in as I'm pressing buttons to dial, the screen will just read incoming call with the phone number and I won't be able to answer. It will just ring until it goes to voicemail. Very annoying.
It has happend to me as well. I could see it being a pretty big issue to someone who uses thousands of minutes.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
pdxchick

Default Thanks for the responses

Assuming the battery will get better with time and the phone hanging when an incoming phone comes in as a BB issue.

Anyone know to have touchtone work (even in voicemail I can't bypass the menu and need to wait for ther prompts.) I am sure it is something stupid but any insight on how to activate touch tone during calls would be great (I am not sure I am calling it the right thing but hopefully you get my drift).

Last edited by pdxchick; 06-28-2007 at 12:33 AM..
Old 05-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
Dr. Jerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Same thing happens to me on the 8800c. If I call a number, let it ring...hangup...and immediately hit another number to dial...it freezes up. I have to pull the battery.
Cingular 8800
Old 05-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
graffixx

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jerry View Post
Same thing happens to me on the 8800c. If I call a number, let it ring...hangup...and immediately hit another number to dial...it freezes up. I have to pull the battery.
If i call a number and it doesn't connect, and when I click the HANG UP (Red phone) button, it doesn't hang up the phone. When I try to dial, it will say "Conference xxx" where xxx can be Home, or Work, etc.

The only way I know how, w/o taking off the battery, is to call myself, where it will saying an incoming call from the contact I had previous tried to make!

Very annoying indeed.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
BFEINZIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixx View Post
If i call a number and it doesn't connect, and when I click the HANG UP (Red phone) button, it doesn't hang up the phone. When I try to dial, it will say "Conference xxx" where xxx can be Home, or Work, etc.

The only way I know how, w/o taking off the battery, is to call myself, where it will saying an incoming call from the contact I had previous tried to make!

Very annoying indeed.
the only other option ive come up with is to turn off the radio in connections and turn it on again....what causes this
Old 05-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
graffixx

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFEINZIMER View Post
the only other option ive come up with is to turn off the radio in connections and turn it on again....what causes this
If by radio, you mean the ON/OFF button (upper left), it doesn't work. It would not power off completely and would hang. One time, it would dial out and I would get the person's voicemail, but I was not able to do anything. It got stuck at the VZW screen.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
BFEINZIMER

no in connections
Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #14
SMR

Default Same problem with call waiting

Has anyone figured out a solution to the call-waiting/phone freezing problem? I am also a heavy phone user (this is the first Blackberry I've used as a phone, the others were data only) and I have the lock up problem at least once a week and the only way to fix it is to remove the battery. Very annoying.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #15
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You know it's the funniest thing rim anoced they were recalling all the 8x30 with telus because of "technical issues" I'm betting this is one of them. Jo call rim an say rour calling shenanagains.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:45 AM   #16
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
Explain to me how software glitches on a device are Verizon's fault, or that of other CDMA carriers?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:56 AM   #17
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ok vorizen has this nasty habbit of crippling any phone they sell you example that world edition is suposed to have GPS right we'll vorizen disables features lik that. Also CDMA carrier vorizen, sprint telus, altel, and crickket only work in the United states an al you subscription information is prgramed into the phones eprrom.the rest of thw world with the exeption of japan uses GSM. That requires a sim card that can be swapped from device to decice if the device is unlocked. Also CDMA carriers charge higher rates than GSM based acrriers. That is why GSM carriers hit the shelves faster it is a broader market. It takes 6moths to a year for cdmacarriers to get a simaller model. The only real way you can transfer infor off a cdma handset is with 3rd party suites like data pilot. More manufacures have software an hardware issues with CDMA carriers. EG your 8830 Rim recenlty pulled the distro for the telus 8830. Moslt lik ly the same reson your expeienceing now.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:33 AM   #18
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: vzw

I just went back to my 8703 from the 8830. Both phones have similar call waiting issues for me, but the 8830 is worse because I have to take the battery out because the phone won't work otherwise. The 8703 will just lose both calls, outgoing and incoming, but I don't have to reboot the phone. When I think about it, they're both really unacceptable, but the 8703 is the lesser of two evils.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:36 AM   #19
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

I don't have that problem with my 8700g I use it as a phone and web browsing ect.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #20
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?
Carrier: AT&T

I don't think i can take anybody seriously who cannot spell Verizon correctly....
Closed Thread