sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
The SIM for the iPhone is imbedded into the device and cannot be removed
Ugh!!! If that holds true for the released models next week, it stinks! I'm still gonna get one for kicks on Friday the 29th , I'll probably be sick of it by Tuesday!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #62
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
The SIM for the iPhone is imbedded into the device and cannot be removed
Not true. The AT&T sales doc says it has an exposed sim tray. Steve Jobs also mentioned the sim tray at the keynote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #63
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Ugh!!! If that holds true for the released models next week, it stinks! I'm still gonna get one for kicks on Friday the 29th , I'll probably be sick of it by Tuesday!
Sean: The latest word on the iPhone is that the SIM will indeed be inserted into an externally accessible tray on the side of the phone; I believe any versions with the SIM hardwired into the phone were earlier pre-release ones...
Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #64
ceebz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F2E165
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought View Post
Sean: The latest word on the iPhone is that the SIM will indeed be inserted into an externally accessible tray on the side of the phone; I believe any versions with the SIM hardwired into the phone were earlier pre-release ones...
Ahem.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/575198-post58.html

Old 06-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #65
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default Interesting pre review.

BefoReView.Info - Apple iPhone Review

If this is true about the sim chip and keyboard I will pass.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #66
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

I'm gonna have to say Curve because I hate everything that starts with a letter "I"

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #67
dhendricks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Verizon/T-Mobile

I was eyeing the iPhone for a while, but decided to buy a Curve and unlock it instead, since I'm still under a t-Mobile contract for another year or so. I can always sell this if I want an iPhone once it comes out.

The things I want to know about it before I would consider breaking my T-Mobile contract are mainly in relation to how good the keyboard is and whether they have decent 3rd party apps for it that do the same thing the Curve does.

The price is also insane.. for me it'd cost $499 or $599 plus $200 to break my tmobile contract. No thanks right now. Curve full steam ahead.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #68
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebz View Post

Yea, that's what I heard also! Thanks for the info, should be a fun toy for the weekend!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #69
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

you want something smaller? I dont think the iphone is smaller than the curve. Plus I think the iphone is geared more towards the younger market. On screen keyboard? No way - the iphone wont be a good email device, ipod and pic viewer maybe.

I would stick to the iphone.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #70
Jeff_B

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

I think I'd rather have a Curve with a 4gb MicroSD card (and 8GB should come out in 2008). The iPhone has WiFi though, which is definitely a feature I wish the Curve had.

Since this is Apple's first entry into the cell-phone world, I'd definitely try it before you buy it - or at least wait for reviews.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #71
Chodaboy

Model: Curve
Default Go Curve!!!

I just got my Curve 2 weeks ago and I love it! I have been strongly considering getting an iPhone but after reading some of your posts I have decided that I have the better of the two devices in the Curve. Thanks for the info on the Opera mini browser it is hella tite!!! BlackBerry's rock!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #72
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
Yeah if i can get my hands on one with no contract i will slip a to go sim card in it an test drive it.
You will need to pry it open to change SIM cards.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #73
BlackBerryCoolSimon
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Jeff, I'm with you on the memory front. Those microSDHC chips will be blowing the iPhone's storage capacity out of the water in short notice. BlackBerry's also got a lot more third-party support, which translates to more options and functionality. No doubt Apple will cover the big bases with their own solutions, but good luck finding any alternatives.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #74
mishycupcakes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

I'm happy with my Curve, and I dislike the iPhone after trying it out for a bit at the Apple store and AT&T store. The keyboard is terrible, and I'm a messaging / emailing type person.

I'd say go with whichever fits your needs the most.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #75
That70sGAdawg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9670
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
You will need to pry it open to change SIM cards.
I just went back to my Curve after a 34 day "affair" with the iPhone, by removing the iPhone SIM card with the push of a paperclip and placing it in my Curve- calling AT&T to change the data plan- and in 15 Min. "I'm back baby!!"

Main reasons: Gotta have the tactile keyboard - one handed complete operation. No tasks, or Notes (memos) available. Very limited sounds and alarms. I'm sure that the future holds updates and fixes, but I need a complete useable PDA Phone NOW!

iPhone positives: Screen, Screen, and the Screen.

I haven't decided whether to keep it as an expensive Video iPod, or eBay it...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:25 AM   #76
MiaImolaZHP
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Default Uhh, what gregg said!

**Meant to say what That70sGAdawg said above**
Had an iPhone affair, albeit with 3 iphones as the first one was replaced for battery and the second for fluctuations in signal from 5 bars to no bars. The third one exhibited the same signal wierdness so back it went. I will tell you that iPhone v2.0 will probably get me to dump the curve...

Last edited by MiaImolaZHP; 08-09-2007 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: post title
Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #77
perpetualjon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by That70sGAdawg View Post
I haven't decided whether to keep it as an expensive Video iPod, or eBay it...
You may want to check into this as I've only heard about it on the radio but my understanding about the iPhone is that after so many days without being attached to a SIM card or being "activated" or something, it will turn itself off permanently... So it may not be the best "expensive video iPod" out there...
Old 08-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #78
DiscoDave
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Default I miss my 8700 this iphone is crap.

So here is my opinion. I'm actually ashamed that I stopped service on my BB for one of these pieces of crap. I've had this 4GB version since Monday and I'm taking it back today to get a curve.

First of all, you CANNOT copy and paste text anywhere. and I do mean anywhere.
I don't believe that the iPhone actually renders full html. It seems to act more like it is "taking a picture" of the actual html document and then rendering it as an image to be viewed. Which, I believe is makes it easier for such a device to manage and thus also provides the ease of use with the zooming in and out as well as easy manipulation.

Second, the keyboard is crap. The "smart" texting doesn't seem to learn the words that I use. I type pretty fast and I do use a fair amount of slang and shortened versions of words. The dictionary doesn't seem to know what the hell i'm tryin to type 80% of the time. Maybe becuase of my fat fingers. Short words with 2-3 letters are the worst.

Third, all software is web based. I assume that eventually (as I am already starting to see) people will come up with ways to hack into the firmware and install home brew apps as well as edit code for silly cosmetics like adding wallpapers and ringtones. But, at the moment all useable software is java based and sent online. This of course means you have to have service to use applications that aren't already on the iPhone.

Fourth, I have been reading ALOT of complaints about syncing problems with outlook 03 and 07.

Fifth, there is no "To-Do List" function. or "Tasks". Everything must be set as an appointment.

There are other minor problems but at the moment these are enough to have me pretty angry about this hyped up p.o.s. Now I understand allot of these problems are software based and may or may not be fixed in the future but given my experience with apple I bet they will stand firm on some of this stuff playing the game that I don't really need this crap.

I like settings and options and ways to really push my device to the limit. NOT a glass piece of crap that attempts to downplay what I should and should not have in my pda.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by DiscoDave; 08-09-2007 at 07:13 AM..
Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #79
logikman

Model: Pearl
Carrier: cingular

BB ftw
Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #80
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

cant be embarrassed for trying it out, we're all into tech stuff, thats why we switch bb every time a new one drops. lets be serious all of us with curve's on at&t would be in line day one if a wifi or gps capable curve dropped so checkin out the iphone was a necessity for some of us, i tried it for a coupe weeks, gave it a legit shot and back to the curve i go, i'm a blackberry guy, like all the rest of us...