Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
o2mpx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint and ATT
Default Overseas Travel with local prepaid SIM

Please Login to Remove!

If a local meaning purchased overseas prepaid SIM card was used overseas, will it support getting on the internet to get webmail?

Don't want to sign up for ATT's 69.99 service for a year when it's needed only couple of times a year overseas.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2mpx View Post
If a local meaning purchased overseas prepaid SIM card was used overseas, will it support getting on the internet to get webmail?

Don't want to sign up for ATT's 69.99 service for a year when it's needed only couple of times a year overseas.
No.

If you want data access, you will need a BlackBerry data plan. Period. Additionally, most carriers in the world do not offer prepaid BlackBerry data plans.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:14 AM   #3
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

The pre paids definitely won't work on the BB. If you only travel overseas a few times a year... just sign up for the international Data plan and then cancel when you get back. I did that for a couple years. That's the cheapest way that I know.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:50 AM   #4
Mako5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T via Bluefish

I am just switching to AT&T from T-Mobile. Are you saying that I cannot get my email while traveling overseas unless I sign up for their International Data Plan which costs 69.99? On T-Mobile it costs nothing but I paid heavy roaming charges. Not the same with AT&T?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:25 AM   #5
wcberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: AT&T

No international BB data plan, no data, no email.
I just call them and turn it on when I go over and then turn it off when I get back. For a couple of weeks it only adds $30 or so to my bill. The same thing others on here do.

Local prepaid SIMs do not get you data.

Now if you could get a local SIM with a data plan it would be different. But that will be hard. I have a guy that works for me in Kuwait, who has a Resident Visa. He is able to sign up for a local plan but I can't.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

As of march or may 07 is it no longer possible to get the pro-rated international plan. You must upgrade for a year with the international data plan. I know it sucks I'm pissed to!! Tmobile will still do the pro-rated as I understand it.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
vandal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2mpx View Post

how funny that this came up because I had the same situation.

I am going to europe for only two weeks in july and I wanted to get an unlimited data plan since I know i'll be using it a lot. I am a brand new customer since this past monday and i told them I wanted an unlimited data plan. They said I had to sign up for a year for $64.99 a month and i would also have to wait 60 days since I am a new customer. I explain the reason why i got this phone is to go overseas with it and their policies are preventing me from doing just that the first time I called (the lady wouldnt budge). The 2nd time i called I got a nicer lady who helped me out and transfered me to the international dept and i explain my situation to them saying the same thing.

After about 30mins, they said they start me on the international plan as of right this min, but when I get back from europe in aug, i would have to wait until the first of sept. to cancel the plan (they put notes on my account). I thought that was better than not having unlimited data at all in europe so I took it and it does work out.

I believe it is possible to not sign up for a year contract and getting a temp. international data plan.

Last edited by vandal; 06-22-2007 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: adding a few more details
Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
o2mpx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

ATT policy on intl is just not as good as Tmo's.

I'm very torn as I switched over to ATT because of Curve and better reception, but knowing I can get an unlocked Curve or wait for Tmo's version, I'm on the fence whether to stay with ATT or just deal with the drop calls and less strong signals and go back to Tmo as I still have my Pearl. I only travel twice a year over seas, so that's 4 weeks out of the year.

It's just these things that reduce customer experience with ATT.

Any thoughts out there?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220

with tmo i know they tell you it wont work for data, BUT when my friends go to israel, they get data and do not get charged for it...
Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 AM   #10
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

Just stopped at the store in Honolulu and asked them about the international plan... sales guy said I could sign up and cancel anytime, I was just curious. I'm running down to Mexico and they had a plan for that also, he said sign up and then cancel but to wait a bit as it takes time for the charges to come through. Guess it's who you talk to...
Old 06-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewsan View Post
Just stopped at the store in Honolulu and asked them about the international plan... sales guy said I could sign up and cancel anytime, I was just curious. I'm running down to Mexico and they had a plan for that also, he said sign up and then cancel but to wait a bit as it takes time for the charges to come through. Guess it's who you talk to...
I bought by 8700c back last August because we were going to Europe for 3 weeks, and I didn't want to carry my pc. Turned on international and off when we got back.. no problems..

This May I had a week in the UK, and AT&T told me the policy changed, it was a 1 yr contract... I had them look at my corp plan agreement, and we get prorated international.. so I was able again to turn on/off and only pay for usage.. your mileage may vary.

Sam
Closed Thread