Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
gonecrazy02

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default wrong time on my calandar when i get a meeting invite

Please Login to Remove!

ok, so i know this sounds stupid, and you will probably tell me that i need to set my settings right for my region.. but i have been there and done that.

i have the BB 8800 and when ever someone sends me a meeting invite and it comes through my blackberry, it shows up on my calandar 7 hours early. so if i have a meeting at 9am, it shows up at 2am. ive played with all the settings, set my time to network time, checked my region to make sure it was pacific time.. and i jsut dont know how to fix it.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
swerveit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrazy02 View Post
ok, so i know this sounds stupid, and you will probably tell me that i need to set my settings right for my region.. but i have been there and done that.

i have the BB 8800 and when ever someone sends me a meeting invite and it comes through my blackberry, it shows up on my calandar 7 hours early. so if i have a meeting at 9am, it shows up at 2am. ive played with all the settings, set my time to network time, checked my region to make sure it was pacific time.. and i jsut dont know how to fix it.
is this happening from one person? or genrall? is it internal? external?
you run a BES?

also I would advise looking at your PC check the settings on there.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

As swerveit asked, the big question is if this happens with all meeting invites from everybody, or just one particular person?

If it's one particular person, then my guess would be that this one person has thier time zone either set incorrectly, or some process that is happening between the software he/she uses to set up the meeting and when it hits your BB.

I did some experimenting myself using my 8800, Outlook 2003, and a WM6 phone. I found that I can set meetings in the other person's time zone and the BB will translate it back to your local time, by changing the timezone within the meeting (without changing the device's timezone).

If I am on CST (GMT -6), and I set a meeting for 1:00 PM CST and invite an attendee on EST (GMT -5), my calendar will say 1:00 PM, but his calendar will say 2:00 PM.

If I am on CST (GMT - 6) and I set a meeting for 2:00 PM EST and invite an attendee on EST (GMT -5), my calendar will say 1:00 PM, and his calendar will say 2:00 PM.

As you can see, both calendars adapt the meeting times to thier local time zones using the +/- GMT reference, where applicable.

I would guess that the person setting up the meeting has the time zone set incorrectly on their PC or handheld (this doesn't mean they have the wrong TIME, just the wrong time ZONE), and so when his/her meeting invite hits your BB's calendar, it does the time zone translation and converts the time based on the meeting inviter's time zone setting and adjusts the meeting time for your local time.

If this happens with more than one person's meeting invites, then it's more likely to be something on your side. Do you accept your meetings on your BB or on the PC? Is your PC's time zone set correctly? (This line of questions assumes BIS and Outlook, I'm not BES-savvy enough to make any guesses). What happens if you set up a test appointment on your BB and invite no one else, and then you sync with your PC, and vice-versa: set up a test appointment on your PC and sync to your BB?

I think it's something we can figure out, just need a bit more info.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
gonecrazy02

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
As swerveit asked, the big question is if this happens with all meeting invites from everybody, or just one particular person?

If it's one particular person, then my guess would be that this one person has thier time zone either set incorrectly, or some process that is happening between the software he/she uses to set up the meeting and when it hits your BB.

I did some experimenting myself using my 8800, Outlook 2003, and a WM6 phone. I found that I can set meetings in the other person's time zone and the BB will translate it back to your local time, by changing the timezone within the meeting (without changing the device's timezone).

If I am on CST (GMT -6), and I set a meeting for 1:00 PM CST and invite an attendee on EST (GMT -5), my calendar will say 1:00 PM, but his calendar will say 2:00 PM.

If I am on CST (GMT - 6) and I set a meeting for 2:00 PM EST and invite an attendee on EST (GMT -5), my calendar will say 1:00 PM, and his calendar will say 2:00 PM.

As you can see, both calendars adapt the meeting times to thier local time zones using the +/- GMT reference, where applicable.

I would guess that the person setting up the meeting has the time zone set incorrectly on their PC or handheld (this doesn't mean they have the wrong TIME, just the wrong time ZONE), and so when his/her meeting invite hits your BB's calendar, it does the time zone translation and converts the time based on the meeting inviter's time zone setting and adjusts the meeting time for your local time.

If this happens with more than one person's meeting invites, then it's more likely to be something on your side. Do you accept your meetings on your BB or on the PC? Is your PC's time zone set correctly? (This line of questions assumes BIS and Outlook, I'm not BES-savvy enough to make any guesses). What happens if you set up a test appointment on your BB and invite no one else, and then you sync with your PC, and vice-versa: set up a test appointment on your PC and sync to your BB?

I think it's something we can figure out, just need a bit more info.

yes, the problem happens when i get any meeting invite whether or not they are in the same timezone. My boss who has the same phone as me is having the same problem as me.. and the syncing is not really a problem, because on my computer it shows up as the regular time, but on the blackberry before i even accept it, it shows up in the invite as 7 hours earlier than the meeting actually is
Old 07-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrazy02 View Post
yes, the problem happens when i get any meeting invite whether or not they are in the same timezone. My boss who has the same phone as me is having the same problem as me.. and the syncing is not really a problem, because on my computer it shows up as the regular time, but on the blackberry before i even accept it, it shows up in the invite as 7 hours earlier than the meeting actually is
BES-smart people: would a BES server that has the right time but wrong time zone set possibly cause this?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
EmptyInTheHead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotar View Post
BES-smart people: would a BES server that has the right time but wrong time zone set possibly cause this?
I think not. Times on servers are all done using GMT +- a timezone offset. Your BES server can be in a totally different time zone than your BB. If you have BES this would be a good problem to submit to your BES or email admin. Looking at the orignal message headers will probably be where you find the answer.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
swerveit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyInTheHead View Post
I think not. Times on servers are all done using GMT +- a timezone offset. Your BES server can be in a totally different time zone than your BB. If you have BES this would be a good problem to submit to your BES or email admin. Looking at the orignal message headers will probably be where you find the answer.

I think the server it sits on dictates the BES`s time zone as i am the administrator for my own BES I remember on the original setup it did ask me for a time zone?
Closed Thread