BruceDBR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default newbie question re: email push versus pull

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all!
I've looked for this, but haven't spotted it on the boards yet. Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse but I have a question.

I have my 2 main emails set up properly on my new blackberry 8830 and they're working fine. However I have one other email account taht I would like to check once in a while. However I get a lot of email sent to it that I just don't need to be bothered with throughou the day. What I'd like to do is see if I can set up access to that account, but not have it pushed down...let me log in, or select it...or whatever and then check that account that way.

Is that possible? Thanks in advance!

Bruce
Old 07-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No, at least not that I know of.

Can you set up rules or filters on that account. For example you can set up folders on Yahoo, and rules to move email to a folder on delivery, and those emails will not be pushed to the blackberry if you have your Yahoo email set up in BIS. Just an example. Can you do similar with this account of yours? If so you can set it up to filter the emails you don't want sent to the blackberry. If you can access the email via a web client, you may be able to check the filtered email with a browser on the BB.

Last edited by aiharkness; 07-21-2007 at 03:32 PM..
Old 07-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
BruceDBR

hmmm. The account I'm thinking of is my Cox Internet, my home email. They do have a web client, but I can't seem to access it via the BB Browser, or that woudl be sufficient to me.

Now, as far as the filters you're talking about: There is a lot of email coming from a Googlegroups account and it indicates it on the subjet line. I COULD use the Cox webmail and set up a filter to dump the emails from this group to that folder. If I'm understanding you right, then BIS would not push that email, right? Only the email that is actually in my Inbox, even though it's technically new email.

hmmm. That just may work! I currently have outlook doing that on my home PC and I only glance over that email anyway. I guess if I can do it prior to it even reaching my Outlook, it would be about the same.

Thanks for the idea!! I appreciate it!

Bruce
Old 07-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

BruceDBR, that's the same general issue in my case--email lists, and I often just scan the subjects and delete most because I couldn't possibly read it all. No point in sending to the BB because I'd have several emails coming in every minute. The alert goes constantly and the email I do want to see right away is buried.

So try doing this on your Cox account and see if it works. If not, you could possibly change your delivery address on those groups to a google or yahoo address, or some other free webmail, and set up filters on it.

By the way, filters on your email client on your PC won't work, just to make sure we are clear. The filter must be at the Cox email server. If you can set up the folders and filters on the Cox webmail, I think you are good to go.

Last edited by aiharkness; 07-21-2007 at 04:16 PM..
Old 07-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
BruceDBR

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Hey!
Idiscovered I didn.t need to do that. When I went to set up my acct on BIS, I realized I could just set up a filter to not send messages containing the group name to my device. The rest should go!

Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it.

And yeah, actually, the Cox webmail client is on the server, the way I understand it. So i THINK that would have worked. But then later when I tried to pull my email on my Outlook, i don't think it would have come donw, which would not have worked. So this is the best of both worlds!!

Thanks again!
Bruce

Last edited by BruceDBR; 07-21-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Very good!

... I was stuck in the mindset of the way I do it...sorting the list emails into respective folders, and getting the no forward to the BB as a side benefit.

Last edited by aiharkness; 07-21-2007 at 04:38 PM..
Closed Thread