BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: tmobile
Default Can one Get the 8820 WITHOUT the Data plan & instead subscribe to an external hosting

Please Login to Remove!

I was wondering whether anyone has experience with any of the blackberry devices and ATT. Can one order WITHOUT paying for the $40 or $45 ripoff called Blackberry Data and instead take that from a hosting service externally who charge $10-15 per month?

Are the new ATT devices unlocked? they used to be unlocked out of the box some time ago.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
spdrcr5
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

unless things changed you've always been able to purchase a BB without a Data plan.

AT&T via BES
Old 07-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default no..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr5 View Post
unless things changed you've always been able to purchase a BB without a Data plan.

But in the checkout process online there comes a step which has the BB data plan pre-selected and you cant unselect it. How do you do that?

2. If we do order it without the data plan from the carrier can we STILL hook it up to an external hosting service to get full data, BES, etc?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
clyde_turkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800r
Carrier: Robbers Wireless

No, Your carrier must provision BlackBerry services for your device.
You can't have your phone service from ATT and BlackBerry data plan from Tmobile, or anyone else for that matter
Old 07-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde_turkey View Post
No, Your carrier must provision BlackBerry services for your device.
You can't have your phone service from ATT and BlackBerry data plan from Tmobile, or anyone else for that matter
my question is different..can I have voice from ATT and NO DATA. go to an external hosting service and get the data enabled from them, NOT from tmobile.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?
Carrier: AT&T

I'm pretty sure Clyde just answered that. Data must be provided from your carrier.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by athreya View Post
my question is different..can I have voice from ATT and NO DATA. go to an external hosting service and get the data enabled from them, NOT from tmobile.
With WIFI, you *might* be able to get plain old "data" without a plan, not sure on that. You most definitely will NOT get email, as that goes through RIM's servers and of course MUST be provisioned by your carrier.

Oh, btw, with respect to AT&T's "ripoff" data plans, I pay $29.99 for my BlackBerry unlimited data plan, so not sure what you're talking about with regards to $40-$45, unless you need corporate BES access, in which case you wouldn't be asking about alternate data in the first place.

And with regards to the data plan being checked online when you go through checkout - the 8820 isn't even ON the site yet, so how are you going through checkout with it?

Last edited by DallasFlier; 07-24-2007 at 10:11 AM..
Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
With WIFI, you *might* be able to get plain old "data" without a plan, not sure on that. You most definitely will NOT get email, as that goes through RIM's servers and of course MUST be provisioned by your carrier.

Oh, btw, with respect to AT&T's "ripoff" data plans, I pay $29.99 for my BlackBerry unlimited data plan, so not sure what you're talking about with regards to $40-$45, unless you need corporate BES access, in which case you wouldn't be asking about alternate data in the first place.

And with regards to the data plan being checked online when you go through checkout - the 8820 isn't even ON the site yet, so how are you going through checkout with it?
thanks...Given ATTs terrible coverage evn 29.95$ is too much to pay. I tried with the 8830 and the 8800...its basically the same checkout process.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
thanks...Given ATTs terrible coverage evn 29.95$ is too much to pay. I tried with the 8830 and the 8800...its basically the same checkout process.
Your posts sound more and more confusing. No, you didn't try with the 8830 on AT&T's site, they've never offered that and never will. If AT&T's coverage is so awful, why are you looking on their site anyway? Your profile says you're on sprint - go to sprint and get the 8830 if that's what you want.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Your posts sound more and more confusing. No, you didn't try with the 8830 on AT&T's site, they've never offered that and never will. If AT&T's coverage is so awful, why are you looking on their site anyway? Your profile says you're on sprint - go to sprint and get the 8830 if that's what you want.

i think you have a fundamental problem in understanding things.
1. I tried the 8830 checkout on sprint and verizon?
2.tried the 8800 checkout on ATT

all three sites came up with the same issue.

if I had an option to take 8820 on any other carrier I will happily do so. i need the wifi which is not there on any other BB device. will probably get it via ATT, unlock it and move to tmobile.

Is it NOW less confusing and easily comprehendable to you?

Last edited by athreya; 07-24-2007 at 10:45 AM..
Old 07-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
So basically you just want a voice plan with any GSM service provider (currently ur profile shows Sprint). THEN contact an email HOSTING service to route emails of your choice to your BB unit.

1) HOSTING service will route emails OVER a DATA provisioned account with your service provider. ( you cannot get MMS/Picture messages without that MMS apn - access point name; data path used. You cannot surf internet WITHOUT an internet - apn specific - data plan either).

2) Ok so the 8820 does use WiFi.
- you'll be able to surf internet html/xml/xhtml etc on that medium.
- with EMAIL retrieval set to WiFi > this would work if your WORKPLACE setup specific capable routers to connect to your 8820 & the BES as an alternative medium. UMA technology along with a provider like Tmobile USA will also allow voice calls = VoIP over WiFi.
- Will a HOSTING service allow for emails to be routed STRICTLY over a WIFI connection to your device?
The last point above MAY be limited by service books to allow the email to be retrieved over WiFi.

Search the blackberry technical site for querries & restrictions on that.
Also check various HOSTING services JUST IN CASE.

hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
So basically you just want a voice plan with any GSM service provider (currently ur profile shows Sprint). THEN contact an email HOSTING service to route emails of your choice to your BB unit.

1) HOSTING service will route emails OVER a DATA provisioned account with your service provider. ( you cannot get MMS/Picture messages without that MMS apn - access point name; data path used. You cannot surf internet WITHOUT an internet - apn specific - data plan either).

2) Ok so the 8820 does use WiFi.
- you'll be able to surf internet html/xml/xhtml etc on that medium.
- with EMAIL retrieval set to WiFi > this would work if your WORKPLACE setup specific capable routers to connect to your 8820 & the BES as an alternative medium. UMA technology along with a provider like Tmobile USA will also allow voice calls = VoIP over WiFi.
- Will a HOSTING service allow for emails to be routed STRICTLY over a WIFI connection to your device?
The last point above MAY be limited by service books to allow the email to be retrieved over WiFi.

Search the blackberry technical site for querries & restrictions on that.
Also check various HOSTING services JUST IN CASE.

hope this helps.

thats very helpful..thanks.so i guess one HAS TO get a data plan provisioned by ATT.:(

my question is, if so, why does need to go to an external hoster and pay additional monthly charges AT ALL?

lastly is anyone aware of a VOIP client for blackberry?to use with the wifi?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #13
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default No 29.95 unltd BB plan on ATT

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...questid=124438

i cant see the 29.95 unlimited data plan. can u tell me where the 'non-ripoff' 29.95 plan is?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

That's it atherya, unlimited is the ripoff plan. Call it what you want, but it won't change what you have to have.

There are VOIP clients, search around here. You've been on the board for a while. I guess we'll have to wait to get wifi to see if any of them work with a VOIP.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

athreya, likewise, please refrain from insulting other users on this board with snide comments.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #16
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
athreya, likewise, please refrain from insulting other users on this board with snide comments.

jsanders, can you please scroll up and see who made snide comments? i am merely asking where is the non-ripoff 29.95 plan? is that snide? i dont think so.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
i think you have a fundamental problem in understanding things.

Is it NOW less confusing and easily comprehendable to you?
I consider that snide and insulting. These people are trying to help you, act like you want them to do so.

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #18
athreya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I consider that snide and insulting. These people are trying to help you, act like you want them to do so.

Thank you.
u are being selective here.
that was in RESPONSE to this:

and another one on the rip off plan.

I was merely responding in the same tone as the comment. is THAT snide? I am sorry i dont think so.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I think athreya might be Galvatron in disguise.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Yes, I am being selective. Absolutely.

Users should not have to feel they have been put through the ringer when they are trying to help someone. Respond in even a nicer tone than you might detect from them.

Anyway, you have answers to the questions you asked.
Closed Thread