Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #141
wtaylor

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default GPS No Rant just my experience

Please Login to Remove!

I have read the threads on the GPS issue and the attacks and defenses on/of Verizon. I am the idiot in this case but I am glad I am not alone. PRIOR to purchasing the 8830 I spoke with the world support and local techs and they informed me the GPS would work. I called because I was confused by the RIM features advertised and did not discover until after I had the phone and Verizon Techs transferred me to RIM that they had disabled the feature. Incidentally, the Verizon Tech rep disappeared during that conversation. But, like others have said, I am the idiot 9customer). All I have to do is return the phone and say up yours to Verizon. I wanted an International Phone because I have a T-Mobile Razor for such uses, desired a portable GPS, and felt I would dump my moto Q (from Verizon) and upgrade. It is not so easy to change carriers but I am disappointed at how much of my time was wasted. On the other hand, it is the coolest phone I have ever owned.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #142
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonxxv View Post
So...I finally got on with Max from RIM. He advised the GPS function is disabled by RIM as the result of a contractual obligation with VZW and RIM is not allowed to enable it. He advised that I am certainly welcome to purchase a separate GPS devise and pair it to my phone.

He did indicate VZW is supposed to be coming out with an update to VZ Navigator which, for a price, will allow you to use the GPS function ONLY with VZ Navigator. So, basically, they're going to hold you hostage and allow you to ONLY use the GPS functionality if you're willing to pay extra for it. WHAT A JOKE!

I guess every provider has their pro's & con's but I find it ridiculous that VZW won't let you use ANY mapping program with GPS - even if they limited it to bbmaps - until their proprietary, pay program is available.

For now, one of the folks I know is working on a way to unlock the GPS functionality on VZW phones -we'll see how it goes.
did you really expect anything less from Verizon? I was with verizon and have ALWAYS used smartphones. They have ALWAYS hobbled their phones. They are known for it, so I don't know why people are angry about this. This is absolutely normal for Verizon. So, either put up with it, or switch to a different carrier. If VZW does come out and people are happy with it ... you will only get pissed off again when the next generation of phones come out, and is YET AGAIN hobbled by Verizon.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #143
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
While not GPS related, VZW also disables your ability to change TCP settings (like if you wanted to use another WAP). Isn't that nice of them. We seriously need to class action VZW for this crud.
Again ... this is normal for Verizon. Why are we all surprised? This happens very frequently with them and has been for years. It will never change.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #144
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtaylor View Post
I have read the threads on the GPS issue and the attacks and defenses on/of Verizon. I am the idiot in this case but I am glad I am not alone. PRIOR to purchasing the 8830 I spoke with the world support and local techs and they informed me the GPS would work. I called because I was confused by the RIM features advertised and did not discover until after I had the phone and Verizon Techs transferred me to RIM that they had disabled the feature. Incidentally, the Verizon Tech rep disappeared during that conversation. But, like others have said, I am the idiot 9customer). All I have to do is return the phone and say up yours to Verizon. I wanted an International Phone because I have a T-Mobile Razor for such uses, desired a portable GPS, and felt I would dump my moto Q (from Verizon) and upgrade. It is not so easy to change carriers but I am disappointed at how much of my time was wasted. On the other hand, it is the coolest phone I have ever owned.
Go with Cingular. That phone can be used Internationally. My parents use Cingular during their travels back and forth from the Philippines and it is perfect.

And unlike Verizon, they dont hobble all of their phones. I was with Verizon for years, and actually still have it ... but it is used by my son only with a Treo 650. Verizon has been doing this for years man ... for SEVERAL phones. As soon as my contract is done ... im moving my son to a family plan on AT&T and I am never going back to VZW that likes to rip you off by hobbling their devices to maximize profit on their end while screwing their customers. Thats the thing with VZW. That absolutely do not care about their customers whatsoever. They remove your ability to choose for yourself, and force you into using only licensed software/service. They are absolute crap.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #145
greg2step
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW
Default 8703e as well

so why is this such a big stink on the 8830? VZW restricted GPS on the 8703e as well, and it definately works on SprintPCS with Blackberry maps.

so where is this update to turn it on promised a few weeks ago? I suspect that was not the truth...
Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #146
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon
Default Is JRSCCIVIC98 Out?

I see he is no longer registered. Is this a sign of departure?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #147
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Default Any News brittonx?

Did you have any success in contacting VZ? I talked to my local VZ store and am of the opinion that either a.) the modifications that VZ is trying to extract extra cash is screwing up the 8830 or b.) a rudderless ship has no clear path.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #148
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

This thread is very confusing. I am still LOST, and JC hasn't come to my rescue. What good are pilots that can't find their way. Maybe if I drop it in the ocean, the built in sonar chip will activate. Or is that disabled too.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #149
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Default Are you referring to JC or JHC?

Now I am wondering what you are saying. My comment about a rudderless ship was brought on by the conversation I had with a manager and a "senior" salesperson of the local VZ store. I got the opinion that they were unhappy as some of the 8830 customers had got verbally abusive with them and they were not able to answer what was going on, what the time frame was for something to happen as it appeared that they had been given bad information by VZ management and how to handle the customers. The VZ employees were lost on the wireless ocean and it appears that they had no direction from above.

I was polite and not sarcastic as I felt sorry for them.

In related news on one of the other threads it appears that Dawg may be the prez of VZ! LOL
Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #150
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Let's just say you don't want it to say "No Longer Registered" under your username.

(Stins just likes to flame me any chance he gets. He's jealous he can't fly a plane )
Old 07-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #151
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Now I am wondering what you are saying. My comment about a rudderless ship was brought on by the conversation I had with a manager and a "senior" salesperson of the local VZ store.
No worries - I was just messin with JC and adding some humor to the thread. I wonder if that damn fish finder is disabled too on VZ.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #152
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default No GPS Enablement planned!!! I'm leaving Verizon.

Okay, here we go...

I contacted Verizon today to check on the status of the GPS Enablement patch.

First a note to say that the person on the phone, Kama, was very helpful. I do not hold Verizon's strategy against her.

Se checked with people at Verizon and they said they were not aware of any upcoming enablement for the GPS capability on the 8830.

Then she checked with RIM about the supposed patch. According to RIM, the only patch they were aware of was the "Calendar Patch" which doees not have anything to do with the GPS.

So, I asked if, to the best of her knowledge, was the GPS going to be enabled and she said no.

I had her confirm that my trial period was extended to mid-august. She said that a supervisor's approval was needed which she obtained.

I have her name & ID and the supervisor's first & last name.

I will be ordering a Sprint 8830 later today.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #153
metro98k

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Crap-rizon

Good! Sorry to hear the news, brittonx, but I am glad you are bailing on them. It's often not the fault of the reps you talk to, but they are clearly trained to withhold information and obscure the facts (as are customer service reps at most companies, sadly). Hopefully your action will put them just under a goal for the quarter, and that in turn will send their stock on a freefall.

PS: Dawg, stop being an a$$ and picking fights with people. I suppose I should expect you to start cursing me out as well, now. Instead, why don't you stick your where the sun don't
Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #154
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro98k View Post
Good! Sorry to hear the news, brittonx, but I am glad you are bailing on them. It's often not the fault of the reps you talk to, but they are clearly trained to withhold information and obscure the facts (as are customer service reps at most companies, sadly). Hopefully your action will put them just under a goal for the quarter, and that in turn will send their stock on a freefall.

PS: Dawg, stop being an a$$ and picking fights with people. I suppose I should expect you to start cursing me out as well, now. Instead, why don't you stick your where the sun don't
Excellent first post, metro98k. I see you're off to a great and friendly start with this forum and I'm sure people will simply be tripping over themselves to help you out when you actually need some assistance.

Bravo.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #155
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:

me picking the fights ok if thats what you think enjoy your time on the forum by the way I feel so proud I made it into your first post. I bet if they check your IP I bet it matches someone elses
Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #156
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Metro,
Please do not insult other members.

Edit: Let this be a warning for all. Any more insulting of members in this thread and it will be closed. We've received more reported posts from this thread (and the other Verizon GPS thread) than any other thread I can remember.

Thanks,
JC

Last edited by John Clark; 07-24-2007 at 06:38 PM..
Old 07-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #157
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1

Last edited by jgb@etree; 07-24-2007 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: wrong place
Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #158
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
My guess is that metro98k is JRSCCivic98
I agree
Old 07-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #159
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Different IP's.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #160
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Different IP's.
well we all know that IPs can be done away with but its all good.
Closed Thread