jscully
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 3066853A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeby
Right - I've sorted it out (and it WAS a pairing problem as had been suggested).
I love it when I'm right...I've been wrong and it's a pain in the grass to try and correct the posts...and too humbling...

Glad it worked out ibeeby!
Old 06-01-2005, 09:58 PM   #142
popasq

Model: 7100t

Barjohn, I recorded my tests by calling my home voicemail which gives me the option to get my voicemails by email in a .wav file, so what you hear in my recordings should be very close to the reality.
I just sent back my Bluespoon 5G to Nextlink to have them increase the incomming sound volume as I thought it wasn't loud enough. They told me they could increase it significantly. I will report sometimes next week about this and will post a recording of the 5G in a noisy environment.
I also hope to make a few recordings over the week end with my Bluespoon Digital and post it here to compare with your recordings Barjohn.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #143
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I like your method of getting your recording. What voice mail service are you using?

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-02-2005, 08:56 PM   #144
jrwoodall
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: cincinnati bell
Smile Moto 850 with 7290

I wanted to thank you for what must be very time consuming but greatly appreciated work!
I purchased a Moto 850 to use with my 7290 (on TMobile, if it matters). I followed your lead, and recorded several messages from different locations, and while driving in my car (although I didn't have the opportunity to get up to 80!), and in all circumstances, the 850 performed ok to well, and better than a wired headset in every case. My only complaint is the earpiece. At times, the sound in-coming is not as loud as I would like it, unless I hold it against my ear.
Otherwise, the 850 is light, comfortable, and so far holds enough charge to get me through the day with calls off an on all day.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #145
barjohn

jrwoodall, You are welcome! I try to help as well as I can, given the time I can take. As you might guess, I work a very demanding job with over 40 scientists and engineers that report to me and travel almost every week.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-03-2005, 09:14 AM   #146
GenghisKhent
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default NextLink 5G

Like popasq, I have the NextLink 5G. It works fine with my BB 7290. It is very small and very comfortable, but also very pricey. Since it is still a beta, there also are some kinks with the batteries and charger that need to be resolved.

For information on the 5G, there is a review at PocketNow and a beta test thread at HoFo. Hope this helps. Jeff
Old 06-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #147
fightingirish00

Model: 7520

I have a 7520 and just purchased a Freespeak 250 by JABRA from Nextel and it works perfect!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 12:23 PM   #148
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

My $.02 worth:

I read all the reviews on this forum regarding BT headsets and can see there is not a whole lot of consistency regarding the best headset available. That being said, I ventured out and purchased a Sony HBH-662 simply because nothing has been written about it and it is a Sony product (need I say more). The HBH-662 replaces the HBH-660 and is not officially available in the U.S. market. I purchased it on e-Bay for approximately $90 (s/h included) from a very solid seller in NYC.

My experience (approximately 2 weeks) thus far:
Pros:
--Easily pairs with my 7100t running version 4
--very comfortable and adjustable--hardly remember it's on my ear
--caller ID display of phone number (not name) comes in handy when I'm on the road or in the airport
--receiving sound quality and sending sound quality good when there is not a lot of background noise (not excellent)
--mute function works like a charm (I had several conference calls where I muted the headset)

Cons:
--sound quality--tough to hear when there is a lot of background--it really seems to pick up surrounding noise so the receiving party can hear everything around you. I think Sony really needs to adress this with their noise-reduction technology.
--Poor battery life. I travel quite a bit and the device runs out of juice in less than a day. When the battery gets too low, you start to lose the connection between the handset and the headset. Otherwise the connection is solid.

Overall: This is the first BT headset I am using and do not claim to be an expert. I like the Sony HBH-662 and am able to deal with its shortcomings. From what I have read on this forum, all the devices have shortcomings and it is simply a choice of what your priorities are and how much you can deal with. I would recommend this product to someone looking for the reliability of a solid connection and good sound quality in relatively muted areas--someone who is a fan of Sony technology.

Hope that helps and good luck all...
Old 06-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #149
popasq

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I like your method of getting your recording. What voice mail service are you using?
check www.broadvoice.com, unlimited calling to 21 countries for $19.95, in addition to great features (like getting your voicemails in your email inbox).
Old 06-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #150
barjohn

Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #151
ceoboba

Model: 7250

Quote:
I'm pleased to see the Flamingo is working so well for you. My impression was similar to yours. I am anxiously awaiting getting my own unit.
Update to my Flamingo:

After using it for a month, I have found only one flaw: Noise Cancellation. In my opinion, it does not exist with the Flamingo. If I am in my car, and I have my windows open or even the air conditioner on the lowest setting, my voice cuts out when I am speaking to someone.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:23 PM   #152
barjohn

Is it due to wind noise or do you find the same thing when the windows are up and the air is not blowing on you? (Assuming you still have road noise with the window up.) If it is due to wind noise, this seems to plague all headsets.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-16-2005, 12:28 AM   #153
Mthr1

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hello there.

After an exhausting two weeks of research on this forum regarding bluetooth sets, I have decided to try out the Flamingo with my new 7250.

I received it today and was very eager to get it up and running...the following is my preliminary experience with this unit...

Build and Construction: Very good. Solid design and build. Quality feel.

Comfort: Once in the ear properly, and with the proper size earclick, it is very comfortable. Very light and very secure. Does not interfere with glasses. Low profile.

Connectivity: Pairing was easy, quick, and seamless. Stable. Since connecting, I don't recall losing connection all night.

Sound Quality: The volume levels should please the vast majority of people out there. It can be set to be pretty damn loud for a unit of this size. The voice quality is very clear...however, I did experience random moments of echo. The echoing was somewhat spotty. There were a few moments of static, but nothing excessive or frequent. Is there any relation to likelihood of echo and loud volume? Not really sure methods to minimize.

Noise cancelation: Background noise was not bad...although when speaking to my wife on it, she was able to determine that I was doing something the in background (I was moving our kid's pack n play) pretty easily. Wind noise was horrible. Even the low setting of my car's AC was picked up right away by other party. Only by rerouting the AC output well away from my face did the complaint go away. Outside on a breezy night, like tonight's in Cleveland, really demonstrated the Flamingo's inability to handle wind. With wind, stable conversation is impossible. I am looking forward to see what solution Cellpoint has to offer to resolve this issue. For a $100+ piece, this is really disappointing in this particular ara.

Ease of use: Getting used to the earclicks brings forth a learning curve. I suggest trying all included sizes to match up the best tight fit for your ear. Then expect LOTS of trial and error to perfect the best way of getting the thing in your ear...and quickly. I'm getting better with each try. The control button on near the microphone controls a lot of functions. Again, another learning curve here. It includes a lanyard to hang the Flamingo around your neck like a necklace. It's so small, I always stick it in my pocket with little issues. The included charger is great. Small and well designed. Charges pretty quickly.

Other comments: Visually interesting. It definitely sets itself from a lot of other mainstream units on the market. I was asked about 4-5 times this evening about it. I like the blue LED placement. It is between the unit and your face instead of having the LED facing out away from you so everyone can see your flashing blue light. The manual...looks thick, but very little content...it has inclusions for about 20 different languages. Battery life was inconclusive, given my limited time of use.

Conclusion: Well, there is still a bit more testing to do in the upcoming days, however, I am not ready to pull the trigger on another one of these big dollar units for my wife yet. Not convinced, after the first day of use, that this is the perfect BT unit for the 7250. My wife has a 7250 as well. Has anyone had any experiences, yet, with any of the Sony HBH-660s yet? The Jabra 250s, from what I have read is still hit or miss? Scala is a low risk try, given the cost? Motorola units appear to be frown at by most? Plantronics appears to draw comments of discomfort and bulk? No mfg has a solution to wind noise yet?? If I missed the mark on any of the above, PLEASE, feel free to elaborate. I know this topic may be drawn out, but after reading almost every thread...I fear that there is no real forgone conclusion aside from rolling the dice.

Comments are welcome.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #154
barjohn

Very good review! On the earclicks, my experience was to go smaller, rather than larger. You will be surprised that it really does not have to be super tight or snug to stay in and it will be more comfortable. At first, I too was trying for a snug fit and was using a size that was sever units too large. As I got more comfortable with the unit I kept trying smaller sizes and was surprised to discover that it became both easier to put on and off but far more comfortable and stayed secure. On the wind noise issue, I note that they are coming out with a wind sock for the unit so hopefully that will help. Part of the problem may be that all units I have seen have the mike set in with a hole in the unit for the mic. Wind moving across the hole probably produces a resonance like blowing across a coke bottle. Not sure what the best engineering solution to the problem would be. Perhaps tuning the resonance to a frequency at the upper end of the spectrum and then using a sharp cut off notch filter.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-16-2005, 11:44 PM   #155
Mthr1

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Well, after the end of day two...some things remain unchanged.

Like...random echo. The echo is heard not from my end at all, but on the other end of the call. I think that it appears to happen mostly during the initial minute or so of a call, outgoing or incoming. Then it gets better to where it may echo only a second or two, here and there. What is the reason for echo? Bad/weak bluetooth profiles? Interference? Volume? Over-sensitive mic?

I agree Barjohn. I started with the default earclick that came with the unit...went on to try a really small one, then the biggest one...and now ended up sticking with the default one...third biggest, I think. I am really impressed with the stable fit and light weight feel. The estimated range of 30ft is a bit inflated, I believe. If the conditions were absolutely IDEAL, then maybe...but in real world environments...doubtful.

Wind noise...even the slightest takes it's toll on this little unit. A windsock would be nice, although I believe that it will probably ruin the aesthetics of the unit. Too bad.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #156
spblat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo

Regarding the Logitech Mobile Freedom/Mobile Pro headset(s):
Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat
MAJOR Con: It has an electronic sounding "my country tis of thee" ringtone that is really dumb and can't seem to be disabled or changed. Moreover, when someone calls me, they hear this ringtone for a few seconds before the headset realizes the call is active and shuts up. This is intolerable.
Figured it out.

http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums...ostID=10143003

I ditched the "mobile freedom" and got a "mobile pro" for $20 more.

To my surprise, the two products are physically identical, right down to the product markings in ultra-fine print. The only way to tell the difference is in the packaging and how it identifies itself when you pair it with a phone.

The Pro version has a "greensleeves" ringtone that can't be disabled. But, it's softer and I have never had anyone tell me that they could hear the tone on their end, plus it's much more responsive to pressing the answer button. Plus, the Pro is Bluetooth 1.2 compatible and gives me better reception on my Blackberry 7100T. Now that I've figured this out, I'm a happy camper.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:39 PM   #157
popasq

Default Test recording of Nextlink 5G and Nextlink Bluespoon Digital

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to post a few recordings of the Bluespoon Digital from Nextlink as I thought mine sounded better than the one Barjohn had for his tests.
You will also find a test recording of the 5G from Nextlink in noisy environments which, at my surprise, was very positive, the 5G actually performed better than the digital at this occasion.

Also, following the ideas and recommendations of a good friend of mine(screen name VWVWVW from multiple other forums), I covered the microphone of the 5G with foam (furnished by VWVWVW) or what Nextlink calls a "windsock" with the hope of reducing or canceling the wind noise as the 5G did not perform well in windy situations or simply when walking as it has a very sensitive microphone. It worked as you will ear in my test recordings! Now I have to find something that would be a little easier on the eye!

First the pictures, for those who have not had the chance to see the 5G or the digital (sorry, it is a little blurry, could not do better...)
5G & digital

5G with "windsock"

Now the test recordings:

To compare, I am reposting the 5G tests recorded in same conditions.

5G and Blackberry 7100t, clear line of sight, 5 feet away
Digital Bluespoon and Blacberry 7100t, clear line of sight, 5 feet away

One wall between 5G and Blackberry 7100t, 5 feet away
One wall between Bluespoon Digital and Blackberry 7100t, 5 feet away

5G and Blackberry 7100t, clear line of sight, 50 feet away
Digital Bluespoon and Blackberry 7100t, clear line of sight, 50 feet away

Three walls between Bluespoon Digital and Blackberry 7100t, 50 feet away
The 5G did not get any connection whatsoever with 3 walls between the headset and the phone.

5G and Blackberry 7100t at the outdoor concert
Digital Bluespoon and Blackberry 7100t at the outdoor concert

Digital Bluespoon and Blackberry 7100t walking in the street with slight wind
5G and Blackberry 7100t walking in the street with slight wind
5G + "windsock" and Blackberry 7100t walking in the street with slight wind
Old 06-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #158
barjohn

Though both the 5G and the BS Digital sound very digital, the 5G clearly out performs the digital in most circumstances as far as sound quality goes.

I just purchased a Plantronics Voager 510 to test so I will be posting my test results very soon.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-19-2005, 10:38 AM   #159
popasq

Quote:
Though both the 5G and the BS Digital sound very digital, the 5G clearly out performs the digital in most circumstances as far as sound quality goes.
Very true at the exceptions of bluetooth range and windy situations where the digital is still much better.
Also, incomming sound volume is much better in the digital as one can hear in noisiest situations with the digital when regular street noise make it challenging to hear with the 5G.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #160
barjohn

Well the new Plantronics is charged up overnight so I hope to start testing today. It has noise cancelling technology and if it is as good as the noise cancelling in the M3000 it may prove to be a very good headset. Interestingly it comes with three different size earpieces and two wind socks. The charger is small and easily portable but unfortunately is not USB. The color is a greyblue that matches the color of the 7100t trim and it weighs 17 grams. The claim is 6 hours of talk time and 100 hours of standby time. Recharge is supposed to take 3 hours. It can be switched to wear on either ear and there is an adaptor available for use with a land line. It looks similar, but I think better than the M2500 and unlike the M2500 has a sound cancelling mic.

Features:
  • Noise-canceling microphone for superior sound quality
  • Multipoint technology allows seamless switching between two Bluetooth devices
  • Headset folds for easy storage
  • Up to 6 hours talk time and up to 100 hours standby time
  • Supports Bluetooth headset and wireless profiles
  • Up to 33-foot range between headset and Bluetooth audio device
  • Intuitive controls for volume, mute and call answer/end
  • Operates in the 2.4 GHz frequency band without a license for wireless communication
  • Real-time data transfer usually possible between 10-100m (30-300 ft.)
  • Close proximity not required as with infrared data
More to come...

Active PIN 203A5535

Last edited by barjohn; 06-19-2005 at 01:01 PM..
Closed Thread