Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Review: Seidio Rubberized Hard Case & Holster Combo. For The 8300 Curve

Please Login to Remove!

After having the opportunity to test and review Seidios first accessory for the new BlackBerry 8300 Curve, the rubberized belt-clip holster for the unskinned/uncased 8300...and finding it to be a high-quality and top performing piece of equipment to hold the device...I was really looking forward to my chance to review their second offering.

The Rubberized Hard Case & Holster Combination for the 8300 Curve.

I had tried Seidios similar product combination on two of my previous smartphone/PDA devices (Palm Treo 680 & BlackBerry 8800) and had been totally impressed by the fit and finish of the cases, and the way they did follow the shape of the devices they were designed for. These cases are only about 1mm in thickness...so they add almost nothing to the size or thickness of the device.

I have to say, that my satisfaction with Seidio's products for my other phones carried over in a big way to this new combination for the BlackBerry 8300 Curve.

When I opened the box, I found the same very conservative packaging that I always associate with Seidio. The case and holster came in a nondescript brown box, with each item in its own almost-generic plastic bag. I have read some people complain of this...but I see it as a way to keep costs lower. Flash costs...and it translates to a higher costs to the consumer. The simplistic packaging makes sense to me, and it shows that Seidio is letting the product do the talking instead.

Fitting the two pieces of the case together was easy, and by following the simple instructions included, it snapped in place without a hitch. The case fits closely to the Curves shape, and does not add much thickness to it's svelte size. I personally like this case much more than the OEM silicone skin because the Seido case is "grippy" without being "grabby"...if that makes any sense at all.

The holster is a very impressive piece of work. My biggest complaint (and one that I brought up to Seidio, after my Treo popped out of it's holster and got some scratches) with their "beta" holsters for the skinned/cased phones was that the top clip was not strong enough to hold the cased phone FIRMLY in place, and let it slip out with any strong bump or hit. I am pleased to report that the clip on this holster is super strong, and holds the cased phone tightly in place...but still allows it to be removed easily with a minimum of pressure from your thumb or fingers. The clip holds tightly to your belt, and the ratcheting swivel is notchy enough to be secure, but not so stiff that it won't move if it needs to in order to keep the phone in place.

I am really happy with this combo. It fits well, is of a very high quality of construction, and does what it's supposed to do...protect your phone from bumps and nicks while holding it tightly to your waist, within easy reach. No, Seidio is not about all the flash and "bling" that some other manufacturers are. They have been, and still are the leaders in innovative products for the latest smartphones and PDA's...and I believe that you will be very satisfied with this product as well as others in their lineup.

For more information, check here: 8300 RUBBERIZED COMBO (CASE/HOLSTER) - BD2-HLCSRBB8300-BK

-Terry

Last edited by davistld01; 08-03-2007 at 01:17 AM..
Old 08-03-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Whoops!!! I was notified by members of this and another forum where I have posted this review that my link did not work...

Hopefully, the edited version will be an improvement. Sorry!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I also had the chance to use the Seidio holster for the unskinned 8300 and was highly impressed with it. The quality of the holster had greatly improved over versions I had used with other BlackBerryxxx8217;s, and I really liked the rubberized coating that was applied.

I had really been wanting to get this rubberized hard case/holster combo. I had the case for my 8100 and my 8800 and was extremely happy with it.

My case/holster arrived a week ago, but I was out of town, and didnxxx8217;t get my hands on it until a couple days ago. I decided to use it the whole weekend before I posted my review.

Like Terry, I also like the packaging it comes in. I donxxx8217;t need a bunch of fancy boxes and bags that Ixxx8217;m just going to tear open and throw away. I like the way they keep it simple.

Putting the case together was easy, but it did not fit together like the other cases I have used. On the inside lip of the case, there are tabs that hook/clip onto the other piece of the case to snap it into place. On my case, there is only one tab, on the top right corner to hold the top of the case together. I find that this is inadequate, and the case does not hold tight together on the left side, and there is a gap on the top left corner. I donxxx8217;t know if this is a design flaw, or just a defect on my case. I have emailed Seidio and Ixxx8217;m waiting on a response. I will update when I hear from them.

Other than that, the case is great. It is just like the ones Ixxx8217;ve used in the past. Excellent quality.

For the holster, I was disappointed to find that they did not add the rubberized coating on it, like they did for the unskinned holster. It would make sense to me that if you have a rubberized case, that the rubberized holster would be a perfect match. My other disappointment with the holster is that on the clip that holds your BlackBerry into the holster, there is no cut-out for the speaker. The unskinned holster has the cut-out, and it makes a big difference in sounds levels in my opinion. Now, Seidio does have a cut-out on the back of the hardcase for a future battery door with speaker opening that they are creating, but that doesnxxx8217;t do me any good now. It really needs the speaker opening in the clip. The clips does however hold the BlackBerry in very securely.

The ratcheting clip on the back is much better than previous holsters, and does a great job staying in place.

Overall, I think this is still a great product, but Ixxx8217;m still waiting to hear an answer about my case issue.

Please try a Search
Old 08-07-2007, 04:28 AM   #4
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

Thanks for the reviews. I am thinking about getting the unskinned holster for my Pearl. I heard that the clip sits too low on the holster making it uncomfortable when attached to a belt. I have the OEM leather holster case for my Pearl and it sits perfectly on my belt. $29.95 plus shipping seems like a lot for holster.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I got mine last night. Yes, the holster is setup so that, when it is on your belt, your belt is just about dead center of the blackberry (top to bottom) rather than having the belt inline with the top half on the blackberry and the bottom half hanging below the belt. That is what I would have expected, but it is not really any more uncomfortable than one that hangs AND infact, this works much better when you sit down. In the car, I was content to keep the blackberry on my belt. With a more conventional (hanging) setup, I would take it off and put the blackberry on center console.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #6
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

Thanks. I guess I'll give it a shot.
Closed Thread