Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
ltshaw711

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Question about text messaging on the 8830

Please Login to Remove!

OK, maybe this is user error but I have been thru the docs, scouring the options and still am a frustrated 8830 user (on Verizon). Perhaps you have the knowledge I seek...

I have SMS Text messaging on my plan. I can send text messages to others just fine. I am not receiving text messages from others - at all. It almost appears as if they are never arriving or are blocked, though I do not see any filter settings that would block incoming text messages. How can I be notified as one would expect, that I have a new text message waiting for me?
They do not go into my email inbox (message log) although in e-mail options I have experimented with SMS and EMail inboxes being either combined or "theme controlled" (WTF is this, by the way? )

Any and all ideas welcome on how to make this fancy phone behave like you would expect.

L
Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
vawireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Check Options, Security, Firewall to make sure SMS is not checked to be blocked
Old 09-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
docew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Any getting in?

Have you tried receiving a PIN SMS? They should be set at high priority, so maybe they might get in. If you would like to send you PIN in private, I'd be happy to try it out for you.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
jbert

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I had the same issue when I first got my 8830. Verizon instructed me to dial *228 and at the prompt press 2 to update the roaming capabilities. This solved my problem, hope it does the same for you.

How To... Roaming Indicator
Old 09-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
ltshaw711

Thanks to all. Turns out the jbert trick did it. I also finally called Verizon (love the hold music) and they also had me dial *22899 - this reinitialized the entire phone, I even got the "welcome to Verizon" message on my phone again. Text messaging now works once again.

Cheers,
L