jseah
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbbny View Post
2) Set up Blackberry mail, and was shocked to find that mail was polled only every 15 minutes or so. This is the so-called instant "crack" that everyone's on? Thanks to the advice on this forum I was able to set up my quasi-BES implementation using forwards and filters. But talk about a kludge... I would much have prefered true IMAP and none of this unthreaded synching business.
I haven't actually used my vzw.blackberry.net email address as yet, but I set up my yahoo and gmail accounts. I'm not sure how you set it up, but I used the email setup utility on the Blackberry and it couldn't have been easier. I just needed to enter my username and my password and everything was golden. If this thing is only polling every 15 minutes or so, then it must be very coincidental, because I will get the little red light flashing on my phone to tell me I got an email in my gmail account BEFORE the little window pops up on my computer sitting right next to the phone to tell me that I got a new email in gmail every single time.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #22
johnbbny
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
I haven't actually used my vzw.blackberry.net email address as yet, but I set up my yahoo and gmail accounts. I'm not sure how you set it up, but I used the email setup utility on the Blackberry and it couldn't have been easier. I just needed to enter my username and my password and everything was golden. If this thing is only polling every 15 minutes or so, then it must be very coincidental, because I will get the little red light flashing on my phone to tell me I got an email in my gmail account BEFORE the little window pops up on my computer sitting right next to the phone to tell me that I got a new email in gmail every single time.
From what I've heard, Gmail and Yahoo is much faster than standard ISP accounts -- about as close to "push" you can get using a BIS set up.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:57 PM   #23
johnbbny

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijindragonslayer View Post

Now I've sorted the GPS I will keep the phone despite the odd slug like behaviors.<snip>
GPS should be on by default.
GPS is "on" by default but it is useless unless you pay for Verizon's Navigator service. The Black Pearl 8130 from Verizon Wireless has crippled GPS. Even if you pay to "unlock" GPS (so to speak) so that you can use Navigator, GPS is still unavailable to other applications such as Google Maps.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #24
jseah

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbbny View Post
From what I've heard, Gmail and Yahoo is much faster than standard ISP accounts -- about as close to "push" you can get using a BIS set up.
Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk works seamlessly as well. I just wish they would release Windows Live Messenger for this phone though. From what I can see on the RIM site, Windows Live Messenger doesn't work on any model Pearl.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #25
tseky

Default Blackberry Browser

I just bought the new Pearl from Verizon today and I am still unsure about this product.....this is the first BB I have ever owned...

I am concerned about two things at this point:

1) When I try to open the Blackberry Browser, it automatically takes me to a verizon menu with no options to access other webpages. The only ones available are Reuters, Espn and a Verizon Navigator downloader.....how can I use the regular Blackberry Browser? Also, how can I download Opera from the phone??

2) Google maps does not work? Is this because the OS is new and google has not made a program that works for this 4.3 OS?

Thanks....look forward to the replies..
Old 11-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #26
digital21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseky View Post
I just bought the new Pearl from Verizon today and I am still unsure about this product.....this is the first BB I have ever owned...

1) When I try to open the Blackberry Browser, it automatically takes me to a verizon menu with no options to access other webpages. The only ones available are Reuters, Espn and a Verizon Navigator downloader.....how can I use the regular Blackberry Browser? Also, how can I download Opera from the phone??

2) Google maps does not work? Is this because the OS is new and google has not made a program that works for this 4.3 OS?

Just use the go to choice in the blackberry browser - go to whatever page you want to be your home page, then go to options in the menu, and change the home page to "use current" - done new home page -

as for google maps not working - ya I could careless about that the phone already has a maps program on it and its neat and all , but I dont see my self ever using it. If you get lost all the time and GPS/ google maps is must - buy a map
Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #27
gaijindragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseky View Post

I'll try and answer, I also just bought the VZ crippled Pearl.

1) Use the BB button when you are in the browser, scroll down to "Go To" and you end up in a kind of Google knock off with a box with most of the web address filled in, all you have to do is type.

I cannot load Opera. Their site does not see my phone.

Though "Handango" what a name, is not bad and offers a close up/select and other html views.

2) no idea if google maps is blocked by VZ or new OS but I'm annoyed too. Google maps will not be able to use the GPS anyway.

The VZnavigator is horrible. Crippled phones is a disgrace. You might consider as I am returning the phone within 30 days and going to Sprint or AT&T.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #28
jseah

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijindragonslayer View Post
I'll try and answer, I also just bought the VZ crippled Pearl.

1) Use the BB button when you are in the browser, scroll down to "Go To" and you end up in a kind of Google knock off with a box with most of the web address filled in, all you have to do is type.

I cannot load Opera. Their site does not see my phone.

Though "Handango" what a name, is not bad and offers a close up/select and other html views.

2) no idea if google maps is blocked by VZ or new OS but I'm annoyed too. Google maps will not be able to use the GPS anyway.

The VZnavigator is horrible. Crippled phones is a disgrace. You might consider as I am returning the phone within 30 days and going to Sprint or AT&T.
Don't know why Opera doesn't load for you. I just pointed to the Opera website in the browser (Opera browser: Home page) and was able to download and install Opera Mini 4.0 OTA. Opera works fine although the "full page" view is pretty much useless unless you already know the layout of the site and can zoom into the right area. I waffle back and forth between using the BB browser and Opera Mini.

I have some sort of map program (I don't know if it is Google Maps or Blackberry Maps) and it works fine for me. Can't connect to the GPS, but I have a Garmin Nuvi for that.

I just wish Yahoo would release a version of Yahoo Go! for this phone already. They have a version that works with the Pearl 8100, but I guess they need to rewrite it to work with the newer OS?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #29
tseky

Default Thank you

Thanks for the replies and the info guys....I appreciate it.

Hopefully the google maps thing will be resolved soon....it is not that I need the program, it is that I want it.....I have a map, but it would be cool to have google maps on my BB. That is all.....I hate verizon, but I have to admit that the service is terrific.....
Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #30
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

You can load google maps on the 8130 right now if you want to.

However, you can't use Google Maps on the 8130 with its GPS. Don't expect that to be "resolved" any time soon. Verizon wants you to subscribe to VZNav for your navigation needs, and is not likely to open up the GPS for use by any other programs...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #31
nissmo66

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Well therexxx8217;s your problem...... a mac, quit yer whining and get a PC already, Christ.

I swear everyone at my school has the same computer, a mac book........

Look at me I'm soooo trendy, and hip, and artistic, I have a mac.......

Sorry to use your thread like this, but blackberry's were once heavily marketed toward businesses......and businesses rarely use macs.

I've work at 2 engineering firms during school, and countless jobs since high school, not once have a seen a mac in any business.

Quit expecting shit to work for your mac, and get an iphone. ;)

Last edited by nissmo66; 11-16-2007 at 05:37 PM..
Closed Thread