BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #841
Roxy2

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I did a battery pull and rebooted it but when i went to application the pop-up came up again and it froze, it won't allow me to go anywhere on my phone :/ i don't know what to do
Old 11-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #842
mpallo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy2 View Post
I did a battery pull and rebooted it but when i went to application the pop-up came up again and it froze, it won't allow me to go anywhere on my phone :/ i don't know what to do
Can't remember, maybe I just held the power down until it turns off and then turn it back on. One of the two worked for me so you could get past the lockup to change the permission settings.

You want to change the setting before you open up the application again.

Last edited by mpallo; 11-19-2007 at 08:10 PM..
Old 11-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #843
Roxy2

yeah after a few more battery pulls it finally let me change the option. thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #844
mpallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy2 View Post
yeah after a few more battery pulls it finally let me change the option. thanks
No problem...sorry I was misleading in that I said it "worked no problems". I forgot about that funny permissions glitch.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #845
hd_rider
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

I installed the trial version of BlackBerry Alerts (v 1.49) on my T-Mobile Curve (8320). I am on BIS with unlimited data. So far, this is a "must have" utility. After doing a hard reset of the phone, I am now presented with two questions when the device comes on line:

- "BlackBerry Alerts" has requested a SMS connection to \\

- Do you want to allow the application BlackBerry Alerts to act as a server?

What do these questions mean and what is the proper response to them?

Checking my security settings, I have my firewall enabled and am blocking all MMS messages; SMS, PIN, and BlackBerry Internet servce are enabled. I'm guessing these prompts I'm getting during reboot have something to do with the firewall settings but I'm not sure. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hd_rider; 11-19-2007 at 08:38 PM..
Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #846
BByMel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

This basically means the program is trying to listen (act as a server) for connections on the SMS protocol. If you allow it then it gets notified when an SMS comes through, if you don't then the program won't. This setting is required if you want to be notified of SMS messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_rider View Post
I installed the trial version of BlackBerry Alerts (v 1.49) on my T-Mobile Curve (8320). I am on BIS with unlimited data. So far, this is a "must have" utility. After doing a hard reset of the phone, I am now presented with two questions when the device comes on line:

- "BlackBerry Alerts" has requested a SMS connection to \\

- Do you want to allow the application BlackBerry Alerts to act as a server?

What do these questions mean and what is the proper response to them?

Checking my security settings, I have my firewall enabled and am blocking all MMS messages; SMS, PIN, and BlackBerry Internet servce are enabled. I'm guessing these prompts I'm getting during reboot have something to do with the firewall settings but I'm not sure. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #847
scottst
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

only thing left for me to make this program perfect is - i would like the ability to make the led blink at idle (like previous disscussion about the idle orange light).
any ideas when we will have this ability?
.....thank you
Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #848
bigmatty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: !
Carrier: !

I know for a fact he is working on that right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottst View Post
only thing left for me to make this program perfect is - i would like the ability to make the led blink at idle (like previous disscussion about the idle orange light).
any ideas when we will have this ability?
.....thank you
Old 11-25-2007, 12:29 AM   #849
PaulQ

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default Curve and Voicemail

When I used BB Alerts on my Pearl, I was able to get seperate voicemail alerts from the SMS alerts (reminders). SMS was a purple blink and vm was a green blink.

Now, on my Curve, I get the same reminder/alert for SMS and Voicemail. Apparently it is not distinguishing the two signals. I have my SMS set to blink purple, vm green. I get the purple with voicemail too.

Since it worked on the Pearl, I am wondering if anyone has it working on their Curve?

Thanks!

<><><><><><><><><><><><> Life after Pearl is Curved... then there's a STORM!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #850
mpallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulQ View Post
When I used BB Alerts on my Pearl, I was able to get seperate voicemail alerts from the SMS alerts (reminders). SMS was a purple blink and vm was a green blink.

Now, on my Curve, I get the same reminder/alert for SMS and Voicemail. Apparently it is not distinguishing the two signals. I have my SMS set to blink purple, vm green. I get the purple with voicemail too.

Since it worked on the Pearl, I am wondering if anyone has it working on their Curve?

Thanks!
I had the same problem on my Pearl when some of more recent OS's started to be released. The problem one day arose after I did an OS upgrade.

The most recent 1.6 version of BBAlerts in the links mentioned above fixed his for me.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #851
bigmatty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpallo View Post
The most recent 1.6 version of BBAlerts in the links mentioned above fixed his for me.
The most recent 1.6 in the links above has lots of cool modifications... ;) ;)
Old 11-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #852
shadow63

Model: 8310

I used the link as mentioned in this thread for version 1.60 and finally got it installed after the freeze ups. But I noticed that in the program itself it says that it is version 1.5, but in applications on the BB it says 1.6. Has anyone else noticed this or can you all check your versions and see what they say. I was just trying to get the correct copy. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmatty View Post
The most recent 1.6 in the links above has lots of cool modifications... ;) ;)
Old 11-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #853
mpallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow63 View Post
I used the link as mentioned in this thread for version 1.60 and finally got it installed after the freeze ups. But I noticed that in the program itself it says that it is version 1.5, but in applications on the BB it says 1.6. Has anyone else noticed this or can you all check your versions and see what they say. I was just trying to get the correct copy. Thanks.

Same for me...I have 1.6 installed...shows 1.5.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #854
PaulQ

Default Break Up This Thread??? > Attn: Moderators <<

I have been involved in BB Alerts since its inception - in fact, I provided the seed idea and "Logan" wrote the great code. We did hours of testing to get it going on the Pearl. Now Mel has taken over and he's doing a great job!

This thread has grown so much that it is somewhat inefficient. Is there any rule against starting new threads such as "Blackberry Alerts: Pearl" ... "Blackberry Alerts: 8300" ... Blackberry Alerts: 8700+"

I'm just suggesting those divisions because I recall that in the testing, we saw some different results on the different devices. I don't mean to be device-ist.

Maybe a different approach to dividing it up?

I don't know if this breaks the forum rules. This is a suggestion to improve the disucssion on this software.

My 2 cents... deposited.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #855
PaulQ

As long as we're in this thread...

I downloaded 1.6 and installed... went through the lock-up and reboot... it is running.

Now I get nothing. No SMS reminders. No voicemail. I just get a red blinker - looks like the default OS reminder.

Alerts is running. I think it is configured correctly.

The events are NOT being recorded in the alert log so it's not catching them.

Any ideas?

Last edited by PaulQ; 11-25-2007 at 06:49 PM..
Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #856
shadow63

That happened to me also. I did soft reset/battery pull and mine is working now and yes I am knocking on wood lol. I am not sure why it started working after that but it did.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #857
PaulQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow63 View Post
That happened to me also. I did soft reset/battery pull and mine is working now and yes I am knocking on wood lol. I am not sure why it started working after that but it did.
LOL! You got lucky! When I pulled the battery again, it locked up. Did a soft reset. Got an "uncaught exception" freeze. Something is throwing this build off. I think it will get worked out.

For now... I went back to 1.49 and I'll live with the lack of specific VM alerts for now.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #858
shadow63

Hey even on 1.49 I had voicemail alerts. Wonder why you are not. Hey the jury is still out on 1.6 for me lol. I love 1.49 and might go back to it because of the hassle that came with getting 1.6 to even work. I mean freezing on rebooting your phone. Then constant battery pulls until it allows you to go in and edit the permissions.......WHEW!!!! Hard work lol. But which ever version I end up with, this app rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulQ View Post
LOL! You got lucky! When I pulled the battery again, it locked up. Did a soft reset. Got an "uncaught exception" freeze. Something is throwing this build off. I think it will get worked out.

For now... I went back to 1.49 and I'll live with the lack of specific VM alerts for now.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:54 AM   #859
BruceDBR

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I've emailed Mel, but I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me with this.

I tried BBAlerts a while back and liked it, but never got around to buyin it. I finally did today and now I realize why I didn't buy it before. One little problem I'm seeing that bugs the heck outta me. I'm sure I just have something set wrong, but i dunno what.

First, I'm using a VErizon 8830.

I received a call today that I ignored (pressed the ignore button). The little yellow missed call icon came up as well as the little envelope showing a message (the missed call message). I went in and opened and even deleted the missed call message and checked call logs, to make sure nothing was left behind. The envelope did go away but now I'm stuck with the missed call icon and a "1 message unread" indicator on the top line of the home screen. I've even done a battery pull...but the silly thing just stays there.

This did not happen before I installed BBAlerts. Anyone have any ideas, while I wait for Mel to respond? (I'm sure he'll respond quickly...just wondering if anyone else has seen somethign similar)

Thanks in advance!

Bruce
Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #860
bigmatty
Thumbs Must Hurt

For everyone having the various issues w/ 1.60 - he is still developing this version, so depending on what time you download you may have a different 1.60. I suggest re-downloading if you have a problem with your current one. NOTE: I suggest NOT re-downloading if you arent having any problems.
Closed Thread