Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8705g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Setting Up a BES

Please Login to Remove!

My uncle just started his own company a year ago. It is very successful. I, however, know nothing about the existence or size of his IT dept. He did come to me and ask me if I know how to set up the (a) BB(s) for him and possibly the rest of his company.

Is this a tedious project that is fairly advanced?

Could someone answer that question and point me to the most basic of basic links that might explain this?

thanks
eric
Old 11-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0668 View Post
My uncle just started his own company a year ago. It is very successful. I, however, know nothing about the existence or size of his IT dept. He did come to me and ask me if I know how to set up the (a) BB(s) for him and possibly the rest of his company.

Is this a tedious project that is fairly advanced?

Could someone answer that question and point me to the most basic of basic links that might explain this?

thanks
eric
How big is the company? Do they have Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Domino? The costs to deploy the exchange or domino server and the BES could be substantial. If their needs are small to medium you may do better using a hosted BES. Check themessagecenter.com or exchangemyemail.com

I always recommend a hosted BES to my clients when possible. Less IT management.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
tobyw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

As whsbuss says, if they're using a compatible messaging/groupware solution then BES is maybe the way to go. For one person you could install BES Express on an old server and experiment with this. However, I certainly don't rate it as 'easy' to install. The best advice is to thoroughly read the docs and most importantly the prerequisites before you start.

One other option which springs to mind is the new BlackBerry Professional which I believe is supposed to be an easier install, yet provides most of the features of BES. I don't have any experience with it, however, so I'll leave it for others to comment.

Let us know the groupware program and the no of possible users for better advice.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Whsbuss and TobyW

this is what was told to me by a guy who I have been keeping in touch with at RIM (once u get a contact, never let him go LOL) but was not able to email him before I posted this.

Is what he said similar to what you said, and yes or no, could you put in very simple terms:

Hi Eric

If he’s the only one maybe he would consider OUTLOOK WEB ACCESS type of installation. Since with the BlackBerry Enterprise Server he needs to have MS Exchange server / Domino or Group Wise server no matter what. Outlook web access should come on the Exchange and then he would setup IMAP. This setup would not require BlackBerry Enterprise Server provisioning from his carrier.

I think you can still download for free BlackBerry Enterprise Server from BlackBerry website with ONE complementary call to tech department. I think each call after that costs +/-$250 when you don’t have the annual T-Support contract which costs more. They had that offer some time ago.

This is a good link for BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Exchange that explains everything:

BlackBerry

Thanks for you help, and interpretation of what he said and combination of the best method. It woud not go unappreciated

Eric
Old 11-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric0668 View Post
Whsbuss and TobyW

this is what was told to me by a guy who I have been keeping in touch with at RIM (once u get a contact, never let him go LOL) but was not able to email him before I posted this.

Is what he said similar to what you said, and yes or no, could you put in very simple terms:

Hi Eric

If he’s the only one maybe he would consider OUTLOOK WEB ACCESS type of installation. Since with the BlackBerry Enterprise Server he needs to have MS Exchange server / Domino or Group Wise server no matter what. Outlook web access should come on the Exchange and then he would setup IMAP. This setup would not require BlackBerry Enterprise Server provisioning from his carrier.

I think you can still download for free BlackBerry Enterprise Server from BlackBerry website with ONE complementary call to tech department. I think each call after that costs +/-$250 when you don’t have the annual T-Support contract which costs more. They had that offer some time ago.

This is a good link for BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Exchange that explains everything:

BlackBerry

Thanks for you help, and interpretation of what he said and combination of the best method. It woud not go unappreciated

Eric
Yes Eric. What he says makes sense.

But again you can have full BES capability using a hosted BES company.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
tobyw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

With the first part of his message he means BIS, which has the disadvantages mentioned above (albeit that it is far easier to setup and support). The second part is BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express edition, which is essentially, give or take a few twiddly bits, the full-blown BES for one user (although you can add licenses).
Old 11-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
eric0668
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyw View Post
With the first part of his message he means BIS, which has the disadvantages mentioned above (albeit that it is far easier to setup and support). The second part is BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express edition, which is essentially, give or take a few twiddly bits, the full-blown BES for one user (although you can add licenses).
Toby; (thx...getting there slowly but surely)

what part did he mean BIS..can u quote or highlight

thx
E
Closed Thread