rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_ View Post
Kind of a funny update to this.

I got the GTD audiobook on Monday, and ripped it onto my iPod. I listened to it yesterday, and wound up staying up till midnight, tearing up my place and starting to get organized. I saw a couple of things I literally hadn't seen in years (found that can of canned air I thought I had when I had dirt in my trackball). I even made a couple of trips to Office Depot for an Inbox, labeler, and file folders.

Pretty amazing how motivating I found that. I almost feel possessed now. Film at 11.
A bit of process and discipline goes a long way. Its the difference between feeling overwhemed and frustrated versus busy but productive.

Now the magic is to keep it going for 12 weeks. Twelve weeks makes a habit - its amazing how week thirteen is easier to do - no matter if we are talking task management or working out at the gym.

Most people are simply unwilling to change their habits even if their current process is broken and limping.

Congrats on making the most important first step! Might have to change your handle from MadDog to TasksJedi.

--the REXguys--
Old 12-05-2007, 01:52 AM   #102
MadDog_
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Hang on. I'm looking for it!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
A bit of process and discipline goes a long way. Its the difference between feeling overwhemed and frustrated versus busy but productive.

Now the magic is to keep it going for 12 weeks. Twelve weeks makes a habit - its amazing how week thirteen is easier to do - no matter if we are talking task management or working out at the gym.

Most people are simply unwilling to change their habits even if their current process is broken and limping.

Congrats on making the most important first step! --the REXguys--
Thanks. Yeah, no kidding on the process. Over the last couple of weeks, I've really gotten tasks done that have literally sat here for 5 years and I'm going non-stop like the Energizer Bunny.

I'm still on the learning curve and every day taking steps forward on how to use ToDoMatrix more efficiently in EVERYTHING I do. Now I'm permanently attached to my damn BB because of ToDoMatrix. It's truly amazing and no exaggeration to say it's been life changing (for the better). I'm ready to write a testimonial whenever you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
Might have to change your handle from MadDog to TasksJedi.

--the REXguys--
Haha. No, I'm still foaming at the mouth. "Try? There is no try. DO!" (or however the heck it goes).
Old 03-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #103
TimW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I've been reading the Manual for TaskMastrix. Would it be fair to compare it as a "OneNote" for Blackberries? If so, is there any way to synch OneNote with it?

Last edited by TimW; 03-18-2008 at 07:25 PM..
Old 03-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #104
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Hi Tim,
I've use tM and had used OneNote. I'd be hard pressed to say TodoMatrix is OneNote lite for the Blackberry. It is really a better version of the Outlook and Blackberry task manager. No OneNote integration but they are working on Outlook integration.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #105
K.Albitz

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

I am a new BB user, just over from Palm/Datebk, and thus I'm looking for a task management system that does floating ToDo's (an uncompleted ToDo for today will reappear on tomorrow's list, etc) I'd also like it to be integrated with the BB Task list, and I'd like a Today view that shows me my tasks. I know I could just use overdue tasks instead of true floating ToDo's, but I'd much prefer Datebk-like floating ToDo's. I've looked at:

TodoMatrix looks great, and people have said it has this functionality (I can't find anything confirming that on the web site.) However it is very expensive and looks to be way more functionality than I need. But if it has this feature and it integrates with ordinary BB tasks (and Outlook would be nice too) then I'd pay the money.

BBTaskPro is more affordable, but looks like an enhanced re-presentation of the tasks. I don't see any evidence of floating tasks.

Agendus is not yet out for the BB (July 08?) It looks very powerful but does not seem to have floating tasks.

Pocket Informant is not yet out for BB (unclear when) and they have said clearly that they won't do floating Todo's.

PIToday (PI helper app) isn't implemented for BB.

TaskMaster and NextAction don't look like what I need either.

Am I missing something? My task/ToDo needs are pretty simple, but I'd really like to have the floating ToDo's.

And in the meantime, can someone direct me to Today view(s) that list tasks? The standard Today screen lists Messages, Calendar, and Call Log. I'd rather have Tasks in place of Messages or Call Log. Is there a nice Today screen that is configurable? The only one I see is PocketDay. Are there others?

Thanks in advance for helping out a Blackberry newbie!~
Old 05-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #106
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

I don't use todoMatrix nearly as much as I should, I use its sister program ideaMatrix daily. Nor do I use the other software you mentioned. RexWireless has great tech support so you can email the question to them or try REXwireless.com/forums • Index page. There is also a free demo.

That said, you schedule your todo and can have a schedule alert. If the date passes and the todo isn't complete, there are several view folders inlcuding a past due where it would show up. You can also create filters and there is a quick review feature. But I don't think there is anything that will take todays due date and automatically change it to tomorrow; Quick review has a hot key to move the due date but it has to be done manually.

i'd definately ask rexwireless or on their forum if you don't get any other responses. As for the today view, I think you may want to look at PocketDay as the theme can't be customized as far as I know.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #107
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I've found these to be two awesome apps, not just for the programs themselves, or even the outstanding support from RexWireless. While these are two great reasons to use their products, I have personally benefitted most from the structure these products have helped me incorporate into my day. Building better habits for productivity is indeed a crucial step in personal development, and both IdeaMatrix and ToDoMatrix have helped me immeasurably.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #108
squeff

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Albitz View Post
I am a new BB user, just over from Palm/Datebk, and thus I'm looking for a task management system that does floating ToDo's (an uncompleted ToDo for today will reappear on tomorrow's list, etc) I'd also like it to be integrated with the BB Task list, and I'd like a Today view that shows me my tasks. I know I could just use overdue tasks instead of true floating ToDo's, but I'd much prefer Datebk-like floating ToDo's. I've looked at:

TodoMatrix looks great, and people have said it has this functionality (I can't find anything confirming that on the web site.) However it is very expensive and looks to be way more functionality than I need. But if it has this feature and it integrates with ordinary BB tasks (and Outlook would be nice too) then I'd pay the money.

BBTaskPro is more affordable, but looks like an enhanced re-presentation of the tasks. I don't see any evidence of floating tasks.

Agendus is not yet out for the BB (July 08?) It looks very powerful but does not seem to have floating tasks.

Pocket Informant is not yet out for BB (unclear when) and they have said clearly that they won't do floating Todo's.

PIToday (PI helper app) isn't implemented for BB.

TaskMaster and NextAction don't look like what I need either.

Am I missing something? My task/ToDo needs are pretty simple, but I'd really like to have the floating ToDo's.

And in the meantime, can someone direct me to Today view(s) that list tasks? The standard Today screen lists Messages, Calendar, and Call Log. I'd rather have Tasks in place of Messages or Call Log. Is there a nice Today screen that is configurable? The only one I see is PocketDay. Are there others?

Thanks in advance for helping out a Blackberry newbie!~
I was a diehard DateBk (version 3, 4, 5, and 6) user for several years (switched to Agendus, which turned out to both a blessing and a curse), so I know what you mean.

I just moved to ToDoMatrix and am mostly happy.

First, it is expensive at $60 (although you can easily get 20% off at Handango and can do even better when combined with a service like Fatwallet). With this, you also get a web-based client (although the subscription for that is only a year or so) and unlimited wireless backup of your ToDoMatrix data.

Personally, I think Rexwireless would sell three times as many copies if they reduced the price to $30, but they seem to feel that $60 is a fair price. And many customers agree.

Second, it does seem complicated. I stayed away from it for a long time because of this. But, on a recent check-back, I realized that it's not. It's one of those things that you can make as easy or complex as you need. Right now, I've turned off some of the advanced features that support Covey and GTD methodologies and find that it's very easy to use. So, don't worry about it being too complicated, since it need not be.

But also realize that if your needs grow, it'll grow with it. Once I'm fully into the product, I'm going to try the GTD methodology.

Third, it does NOT have floating events like DateBk. Every task has a due date. If you want to MANUALLY bump something, you can.

Part of this is a "so-what?" Why do you want floating? ToDoMatrix has a view that'll show you what's due today. Another that shows past due, another that shows "Due Today + Past Due." (Plus others). That last one is the one you want. In that view, you'll see past items, still marked with their original due dates. So what that they due dates are automatically bumped to today?

In fact, it may be considered "bad time management" to have floating tasks. Everything should have a due date. It's OK to decide that you want to bump the due date, but what's the meaning of a task where it's acceptable to have it automatically bump? That's an undated task (which ToDoMatrix does), really.

ToDoMatrix include a "quick review wizard" that lets you review the past due items (actually, it works on any folder/view) and decide which ones to bump (and by how many days).

Lecture over. On to the next thing...

Integration with the BB tasks application (and thus Outlook) is claimed for the next version. We'll see if it materializes. If you rely on your Outlook tasks, then this isn't a tool for you until the feature exists. But, I found, that I didn't need this simply because it's easiest to just deal with tasks in one place (on my BB) and not keep switching (and syncing) between desktop and Blackberry.

Lastly, it doesn't have a "today" view, per se, in that it doesn't include your calendar or other such things like a real today app would. You can, however, quickly jump to a view of everything that's due today (I believe with the "A" key).

Hope this helps.

Basically, if you're willing to spend the $60, ToDoMatrix is a nice application. My experience is that the company responds to e-mails quickly and they take suggestions (I've made a half dozen and they always respond, within an hour, with when that suggestion might be implemented or to ask a follow-up question so that they can better understand the idea).

But, no, it does not have "floating" tasks.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #109
K.Albitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeff View Post
...it does seem complicated. I stayed away from it for a long time because of this. But, on a recent check-back, I realized that it's not. It's one of those things that you can make as easy or complex as you need. Right now, I've turned off some of the advanced features that support Covey and GTD methodologies and find that it's very easy to use. So, don't worry about it being too complicated, since it need not be.
That's good to know. I don't want be hampered by the demands of a complex tool.

Quote:
ToDoMatrix has a view ... that shows past due, another that shows "Due Today + Past Due." (Plus others). That last one is the one you want.
Yes, that "Due Today + Past Due." does sound very useful and may suffice.

Quote:
In fact, it may be considered "bad time management" to have floating tasks. Everything should have a due date. It's OK to decide that you want to bump the due date, but what's the meaning of a task where it's acceptable to have it automatically bump? That's an undated task (which ToDoMatrix does), really.
I see your point, but let me give you an easy example. I have a task, "Buy Mom a birthday gift" that's "due date" is two weeks before her birthday. If I don't buy the gift that day, I want it to float to the next day, and the next, and the next. Until I check it off as complete. Each day I want to see it as something I "should" do that day. I don't want to have to manually transfer tasks at the end of each day!

Another example is keeping track of something that is supposed to happen sometime around a date. Let's say I need to be prepared when an expected package arrives, and then remember when it did. I know it is due sometime between the 11th and 20th. I'd like a task that appears "due" on the 11th, and floats to each next day until it arrives. When it does arrive, I mark it complete and I have a record of when it did arrive. This example seems a little contrived, but I have tasks I currently track like that in Datebk. If you or anyone else has a recommendation as to how to easily handle both these cases, I'm open to learning new tricks.

Quote:
Integration with the BB tasks application (and thus Outlook) is claimed for the next version. We'll see if it materializes.
Integration would be really nice. That way something like PocketDay would show them to me on the home screen (which I really want!)

Quote:
Lastly, it doesn't have a "today" view, per se, in that it doesn't include your calendar or other such things like a real today app would.
As I mentioned above, I want my tasks to show up on my BB home screen... When is this new version expected?

Quote:
Hope this helps.
It does. Thank you.

K
Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #110
squeff

Quote:
That's good to know. I don't want be hampered by the demands of a complex tool.
Like I said, I was scared off at first, but once you get rid of THEIR sample data and put in your own, it's really very nice and easy.

Quote:
Yes, that "Due Today + Past Due." does sound very useful and may suffice.
Good. See below.

Quote:
I see your point, but let me give you an easy example. I have a task, "Buy Mom a birthday gift" that's "due date" is two weeks before her birthday. If I don't buy the gift that day, I want it to float to the next day, and the next, and the next. Until I check it off as complete. Each day I want to see it as something I "should" do that day. I don't want to have to manually transfer tasks at the end of each day!

Another example is keeping track of something that is supposed to happen sometime around a date. Let's say I need to be prepared when an expected package arrives, and then remember when it did. I know it is due sometime between the 11th and 20th. I'd like a task that appears "due" on the 11th, and floats to each next day until it arrives. When it does arrive, I mark it complete and I have a record of when it did arrive. This example seems a little contrived, but I have tasks I currently track like that in Datebk. If you or anyone else has a recommendation as to how to easily handle both these cases, I'm open to learning new tricks.
I see your point, but the "Due Today+Past Due" view does what you want (I think). The actual due date, for these tasks, is irrelevant, so you can just set it at the first date and then not worry when they're overdue.

The one thing that (as far as I know) is missing is the idea of tracking the actual completion date. I don't think TDM does this. What they do have is the ability to e-mail yourself a list of completed tasks, in case you want to keep a journal. However, they don't encourage you to keep around completed tasks within TDM. (You can, but they recommend purging every so often).

Quote:
Integration would be really nice. That way something like PocketDay would show them to me on the home screen (which I really want!) As I mentioned above, I want my tasks to show up on my BB home screen... When is this new version expected?
The PocketDay people have indicated that RexWireless won't play ball with them, so unless there's secret coding going on (always possible), don't count on PocketDay ever showing TDM tasks. That is, until RexWireless adds the auto-sync with the built-in Todo database. Then, it'll work, I'd think.

New version is rumored to be end of May, early June. But you know how these things go...
Old 05-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #111
K.Albitz

Quote:
The one thing that (as far as I know) is missing is the idea of tracking the actual completion date. I don't think TDM does this.

[when] RexWireless adds the auto-sync with the built-in Todo database....

New version is rumored to be end of May, early June. But you know how these things go...
Perhaps the REXguys can comment on these points? (I understand about release dates! But having a ballpark idea would help.)

Also, are you (REXguys) planning a TDM-lite version? Seems like a lot of people would like a cheaper version with out all the bells and whistles.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #112
jorgeledesmadds
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2440be7c
Carrier: Tmobile
Smile

Quote:
Perhaps the REXguys can comment on these points? (I understand about release dates! But having a ballpark idea would help.)

Also, are you (REXguys) planning a TDM-lite version? Seems like a lot of people would like a cheaper version with out all the bells and whistles.

Thanks again, everyone.
Guys, TDX and IDX are among the very best blackberry software out there, their support is top notch and the apps, well they speak for themselves, at first I was a bit skeptical of their price but if you take advantage of the Silver Bundle its better and yes I know its still quite a bit but you don't have to pay for upgrades ever and lets face it the functionality is simply amazing, you can configure this app to your hearts content(the the TDX lite just don't enalbe some of the options) as far as the Outlook converter, that's coming soon as well hopefully sooner than later.

Jorge Ledesma
www.blackberrygtd.com & www.berryreview.com
Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #113
squeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgeledesmadds View Post
...but you don't have to pay for upgrades ever...
Officially, they only give you upgrades for the duration of your REXdesktop subscription. Once the "free" period ends, you either have to pay or you don't get free upgrades (of the BB software), including bug fix releases.

I presume that, historically, they've provided free upgrades to all users? It seems like that's no longer their policy.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #114
K.Albitz

Quote:
Officially, they only give you upgrades for the duration of your REXdesktop subscription. Once the "free" period ends, you either have to pay or you don't get free upgrades (of the BB software), including bug fix releases.

I presume that, historically, they've provided free upgrades to all users? It seems like that's no longer their policy.
OK. I'm confused. If I buy TDM, I get the device app, and six months of the REXdesktop, correct? If I want to keep the desktop app after 6 months, I have to buy it separately as a subscription?? It looks like REXdesktop is not only a desktop interface, but also does wireless sync and back up. What if I don't want/need the web & sync stuff, and I only want the device app and the desktop app (for ease of entry). Can I get that with out paying for the other stuff?

It seems to me that for $60, I should get the device app, and the matching desktop app. Wireless sync, back-up to REX, etc should be the extras I pay more for. To have to pay extra, on top of $60, to access my data on my desktop seems wrong. And to make it a subscription, so that I have to keep paying for that desktop access is even worse.

And I don't get device app updates unless I have the subscription??

Or am I mis-reading the pricing structure?? If I'm reading it right, it sure looks very expensive.

K
Old 05-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #115
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

I thought you get a year of desktop with the purchase, if the web site says six months, then that's what it is.

I look at it this way, they'd be charging for a desktop client and upgrades without the subscription and that would certainly cost more than $24. With both ideaMatrix and todoMatrix, the $24 is really worth it for me. You have to evaluate it for yourself and make that determination.

When I first had my Blackberry forced on me, I kept my PDA because the notes were horrible on the blackberry. I never thought I'd pay for a todo manager, and $60 certainly seemed absurd. When I tried ideaMatrix it was exactly what I needed, and I purchased todoMatrix soon after. To me, the increased productivity is worth the $24/year because I used iM daily, not as diligent with tM though.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #116
K.Albitz

I may end up going with TDM anyway. I'm still looking around.

Is the next version still due out "late May, early June"?

I just have a bad reaction to products that I think should be a straight purchase, and are instead "subscriptions." I feel like I'm getting soaked. It's the "We're not going to sell you a desktop app, but we'll rent you a web app for $$/year!" that irks me.

Oh well. Everything is a trade-off.

K
Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #117
jorgeledesmadds
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2440be7c
Carrier: Tmobile

checkout their new application called AlertMatrix over at AlertMatrix 2008 by REXwireless Software

Jorge Ledesma
www.blackberrygtd.com & www.berryreview.com
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #118
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I may end up going with TDM anyway. I'm still looking around.

Is the next version still due out "late May, early June"?

I just have a bad reaction to products that I think should be a straight purchase, and are instead "subscriptions." I feel like I'm getting soaked. It's the "We're not going to sell you a desktop app, but we'll rent you a web app for $$/year!" that irks me.

Oh well. Everything is a trade-off.

K

You dont have to purchase the Desktop. I know i went without it last year when they were fixing bugs with their 7D release with the dimenisions. Then I found it easier to just use the device. But now that I dont have any real time to play on the phone, the Desktop is a lifesaver.

I put it in this perspective, when I owned my paper planner, I was paying about $50-$75 for planning pages per year opposed to $20something dollar for RexDesktop. Plus I could not only update TMX but IMX as well. Was a no brainer for me!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #119
tj13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

i purchased the desktop.for the price, no brainer! as dablackberry boy said you could spend at least $50 for paper. and this is great if you forget the bb at home(never!)
Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #120
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

The web is nice to have.