BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 12-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #21
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Please Login to Remove!

For what it's worth, the other benefit of BB I've valued is the efficient way it deals with mail (without HTML) and renders attachements server side.

On my home network with unlimited data plan it doesn't matter, but when I'm roaming, and I'm paying, it's great.

Roaming with my carrier is 7.50 UKP (~ $15) per megabyte. But I can be away for a week and see a total charge of 5-10 UKP ($10 to $20), receiving and sending all my work and personal mail on the BB whilst I'm away. I just have to be careful not to browse of use apps like Google Maps!

I think when, for example, you read HTML mail or get attachements using a WM device, you're pulling all the graphics/original attachment to your device, which could be rather expensive to say the least...
Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #22
lcohen999

Model: TyTn
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I agree, and I can disable HTML email depending on how I see everything working.

Truth be told, if I could get BBConnect to work with the existing APN, I would stay. It has become too limiting the way it is
Old 12-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #23
dakis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange CH

Well, I have an HTC TyTN 2 here. I used it with Direct Push for about 2 weeks but ended up installing Blackberry Connect after I got my first phone bill.

The problem: Direct Push doesn't seem to do a very good job at compressing the data that's transmitted (as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure it does any kind of data compression). That way, more data is transmitted with every e-mail you receive. This leads to two problems: your data bill goes up (unless you have a flat rate plan, of course) and battery life suffers drastically.

With Direct Push, I got less than a day of battery life out of the TyTN 2. With Blackberry Connect I get 3 days (at least). Of course, with better data compression and less data transmitted, the amount of radiation you're exposed to becomes less also etc.

Apart from all of this - BIS allows me to set up several E-Mail accounts while Direct Push only works with one account. BB Connect is most definitely the better solution in my opinion.

dakis
Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #24
cnunez1987

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Direct Push has not always been reliable for me. It was the cheapest way for me to get pushed events to my device, but there were times where I needed to initiate a Send/Receive session myself, which could get annoying after a few times. It also consumes a higher amount of battery power, and for some reason it still doesn't sync Notes, even though Goodlink and (I guess) Blackberry Connect have gotten this right...
Old 12-14-2007, 01:34 AM   #25
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
The issue is, and I believe it is carrier related is WM5/6 can have an option to support Multiple APNs.

If your carrier supports it, then WM can do both BBConnect and Exchange Push.

However that requirement is stored in the SIM card, so even if you change the required registry setting, on reboot it re-sets itself.

Enabling Multiple APN Support

I had to drop BBConnect for a 3rd party Exchange Push.

The only thing I have not been able to re-produce is the autoBCC that the BIS offers.

However, being able to type ahead my address book, able to do other things on the internet without losing my push email, and HTML email are reasons to move away from BBConnect at this time.
You didn't post more of what was mentioned on Multiple APN's. This link specifies 1 APN to another on the network (ie Rogers Wireless' "internet.com" for port 80, and "media.com" for MMS).

Multiple APN Scenarios

ON S60 3rd Edition devices (from Nokia) a user can SET a specific application to use a specific connection (even if that connection - WiFi/3G - is not active, it'll wait to use it when avail). This is because the hardware enables this from the dual-core cpu. Of recently with HTC's new crop of devices (Tilt/TyTN II, S730, Touch Dual, etc) have a Qualcomm cpu that has this capability. However I wonder if on a network like TMobile which uses several APN's ( 1 for MMS, 1 for prot 9201, and 2 for different kinds of port 80 restricting some WM devices for 1 APN and another device for the other - remember APN issues circa 2003?).