Darrenr

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default BlackBerry Professional Software 4.1 install issue

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all

Can anyone please assist?

When installing BlackBerry Professional Software 4.1 for Microsoft Exchange on Server 2003 SBS, All goes well until after the reboot. At this point the installation tries to Join the SQL Database for BESMgmt, and all comes to a halt.

Any clues as to how to get the install finished off? I was hoping the main feature of the professional software i.e. easier install would be true!!

thanks in advance,
Darren (UK).
Old 02-13-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
lolaisodd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

Hello what is the error message at this point in time? If you are using a SBS server, usually you have MSDE with instances for Sharepoint, Backup exec and something else. Try to use one of those instances e.g. <netbios name>\backupexec then continue from there.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Darrenr

Hi Lolaisodd
Thank you for your response.
Event viewer is giving me a: #50070: Unable to connect to the database STS_Config on EBS-FILESVR-01 (server name)\sharePoint. Check the database connection information and make sure that the database server is running.
end of error.

The SQL services are running fine. The SA has been set, several times
There is no backup software on the server as they are using windows own backup software.
I've loaded the SQLExpress 2005 on top of the MSDE

I can't telnet into port 1433 either which is what I'm assuming Blackberry connects via.

And If I wasn't already follicelly challenged, I'd be bald now.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Darrenr

Unhappy

Just to add the last post, I've tried to connect to the SQLExpress instance of SQL as well with the same response.

All the SQL protocols are enabled. (Shared Memory, Named Pipes, TCP/IP and VIA)

Old 02-13-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
lolaisodd

You only need to enable named pipes and TCP/IP so disable the rest. Not that it might not work with those enabled but it's always the best to follow recommendations. I have heard of issues of trying to use sharepoint as an instance. I believe there is a KB article in BlackBerry Support website that mentions about this. Try backupexec as a test at least.

BlackBerry Search Results

And you should uninstall SQL Express since having MSDE should suffice.

I'm also looking at the error message you are getting at the installation screen after configuring the database information when you click next. Does it say something like "database server not found"?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Darrenr

I will try setting up BackupExec as an instance as this isn't in at the moment as I don't have BackupExec loaded.

The reason for the SQL Express being loaded is that it is recommended in the Blackberry installation notes which I looked into after it failed the first time without it installed.
Because I agree with you MSDE should be enough.

You are quite right with the error message when I press next. "database server not found"?

I've tried using other instances here and also changing the path below to the location that holds the instances.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Database server not found means that the service is not running or you are not pointing to the instance correctly.

If you installed SQl Express then the instance name is SQLEXPRESS, you should be pointing to machinename\SQLEXPRESS in the BES install and make sure that the database directories are correct as well.

What do you have listed in the services for MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVER?
Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
lolaisodd

To add on .... KB article on the database server not found error! ;)

BlackBerry Search Results
Old 02-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
tobyw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

This seems to be a timely post for me. Our crumbly old IBM rackmount server running W2K server just died and I want to get BES running again as it will be a little while before I can get it repaired.

We are running an SBS2003 server and I am considering installing BES Professional on there. However, running though the install stuff on RIM's site (which is a good deal more straightforward than full BES when I did that!) it seems a stumbling block might be the database being create - hence I searched and came up with this current post!

I don't fancy hanging the BES Professional off an existing instance, so would like to create a new one. I found this link Chris Dalby Blog » Blog Archive » Installing MSDE on SBS for Blackberry Enterprise Server which gives a process for doing it. In a nutshell it says:

Quote:
So, in order to get the BES installation working on SBS, you should create a new instance of MSDE before ruining the installation. You can do this as follows:

1. Locate the MSDE files on the SBS 2003 CD 3 or download from Microsoft.

2. Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd -> clickOK).

3. On the Command Prompt, change to the directory where the MSDE files are located e.g. cd D:\SBS\MONITOR\MSDE

4. Enter the following command to create the new instance:

setup INSTANCENAME=”BESMgmt” SAPWD=”AStrongSAPwd” /L*v C:\MSDELog.log

5. Start the service: Start -> Run -> Services.msc -> Click OK. Scroll down to the instance you just created MSSQL$BESMGMT, select and click start service.

6. Check the log file to make sure everything installed correctly at C:\MSDELog.log

Then when you run the BES installation, simply enter BESMgmt as the database name. The installation will then run like a dream.
What do you experienced folk think - sensible idea?

I have to say I'm not thrilled about having a BES on the PDC, but needs must in this case.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
tobyw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Actually, here's an "official" reference, which guides on creating a new instance:

Cannot install a named MSDE instance for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 and later

Last edited by tobyw; 02-13-2008 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: explanatory text added
Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Darrenr

I will try setting up BackupExec as an instance as this isn't in at the moment as I don't have BackupExec loaded.

The reason for the SQL Express being loaded is that it is recommended in the Blackberry installation notes which I looked into after it failed the first time without it installed.
Because I agree with you MSDE should be enough.

You are quite right with the error message when I press next. "database server not found"?

I've tried using other instances here and also changing the path below to the location that holds the instances.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Darrenr

Thank you guys for your information. I've been interviewing today so i've not worked on it. I'm going to try your suggestions over the weekend and let you know early next week.

In the words of Jed Clampet "Y'all come back you 'err"
Closed Thread