Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
hooba
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7730
Default totally stumped..messages dissappearing

Please Login to Remove!

hey guys

have my 7730 with 4.0 loaded, on my works BES and messages will not stay around on my BB longer than 2 days..they just delete themselves. I have it set to 'forever' on the BB yet they just keep dissappearing...it's not a memory thing I have next to no apps loaded on it...so far I've only tried resetting it (removing the battery/sim and replacing) and reloading the software.

ideas?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:23 AM   #2
matsun

Model: 7100g

had the same issue on a 7730 , OS 4.0 eats up a lot more mem space on the blackberry than 3.6 so new messages actually get wiped more quickly ( to create space ) . you should be able to verify by going into the options and status screens and checking out how many free bytes you have. If you haven't got any space left this would be a good place to start.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:39 AM   #3
Rancor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Zefr

messages => (wheel)Options => General Options =>
scroll down and select the Keep Messages Field =>
(wheel)Change Option [try Forever]
Save
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
hooba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancor
messages => (wheel)Options => General Options =>
scroll down and select the Keep Messages Field =>
(wheel)Change Option [try Forever]
Save

please see my original post
Old 08-05-2005, 03:21 AM   #5
WebsterR

Model: 9000
PIN: --
Carrier: Vodafone

Well, in our company we have 3 blackberries with that memory sucking problem, and no one knows a sollution for this. Here my store about the whole problem:

It all began with one user that complained about losing mails each time a new mail comes in. Normally he had more than 300 mails on his 7230 and now he has just 7 left over. And every time a new mail comes in; the total ammount of e-mails will remain 7, the oldest one will dissapear without any notice. When you look in memory-menu, you will see that there's no memory available, it just counts zero bytes. After a reset, some space will be cleared, so you will have 30 kbs free, not for long, 2 days later the status is again 0 bytes.

We have made a deal with our provider; every blackberry with 0 bytes, while the inbox is empty can be switched for a new one. They will recognize it as a hardware problem. But what if 2 weeks later a user complains with the same symptoms but with 30kb free? And today we have our third user who has this sucking memory leak. What'ts the reason behind the dissapearing of emails? It seems no one has a sollution; RIM, the provider and the knowledge on the internet don't know anything to solve it.

But, I can wait until there's a sollution, that's why i'm posting this again and again. How more information that we can share, how easier to find a sollution. So to make it all complete, here some details about our BB-infrastructure:

BES server: 4.0 SP 1 for Exchange 2003
Handhelds with problem: All 7230's who were delivered with the 3.x version of the handheld software. We have upgraded them with the software delivered by our provider: 4.0.0.188
Provider: Proximus
Old 08-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
hooba

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebsterR
Well, in our company we have 3 blackberries with that memory sucking problem, and no one knows a sollution for this. Here my store about the whole problem:

It all began with one user that complained about losing mails each time a new mail comes in. Normally he had more than 300 mails on his 7230 and now he has just 7 left over. And every time a new mail comes in; the total ammount of e-mails will remain 7, the oldest one will dissapear without any notice. When you look in memory-menu, you will see that there's no memory available, it just counts zero bytes. After a reset, some space will be cleared, so you will have 30 kbs free, not for long, 2 days later the status is again 0 bytes.

We have made a deal with our provider; every blackberry with 0 bytes, while the inbox is empty can be switched for a new one. They will recognize it as a hardware problem. But what if 2 weeks later a user complains with the same symptoms but with 30kb free? And today we have our third user who has this sucking memory leak. What'ts the reason behind the dissapearing of emails? It seems no one has a sollution; RIM, the provider and the knowledge on the internet don't know anything to solve it.

But, I can wait until there's a sollution, that's why i'm posting this again and again. How more information that we can share, how easier to find a sollution. So to make it all complete, here some details about our BB-infrastructure:

BES server: 4.0 SP 1 for Exchange 2003
Handhelds with problem: All 7230's who were delivered with the 3.x version of the handheld software. We have upgraded them with the software delivered by our provider: 4.0.0.188
Provider: Proximus

this is exactly the case. Same symptoms as you explained...going from 30k free to zero. Thank god someone else knows what I'm talking about. I'll keep you posted on progress if you could also please do the same on a remedy.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:25 AM   #7
Snurf

One user had the same problem, he has deleted some language pack, I decrease the number of emails on BB from 350 to 250 and then everything get back...

If this could be of any use for somebody.

Cheers
Old 08-23-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
hooba

I went into applications and deleted "addon themes" and available KB went from 0-5230 range to 2675592

buut...now my color BB is black and white.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #9
lostinspace
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Default re

the problem that you described is because there's no more memory on the bb device.

it is designed to delete old entries at random (calendar, email, tasks, memo's) to make room for new items.

if your device reads 0 bytes or very close to that, 50k or less you're going to start noticing things disappearing.

upgrade to a bb with more memory capacity or clear out your old calendar entries that should free up space.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #10
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

We had the same problem with 7750s, so now when we upgrade them to 4.0 (or get a unit back from a user complaining about the problem), we remove Help, BrickBreaker, Password Keeper, and all of the additional languages to free up more memory.

This solved the problem for 95% of our users.

lostinspace's tip worked on the remaining 5% that had still had problems. They all had huge calendars, so we set their calendar from "Forever" to "60 days", rebooted, and they've been fine since. (knock on wood)

IMO, running 4.0 on an older device (anything with less than 32MB of ram) is possible, ... just not really optimal. Having upgraded our companies 100+ 7750s to 4.0, if I had to make the decision to do it again, I'm not sure I would. I'd probaby hold those guys at the OS that their BlackBerrys were on until they were eligible for a free hardware upgrade from Verizon.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:01 PM   #11
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

When the BlackBerry has no more memory available, it starts deleting OLDEST data first. So, if you only use it for emails (to make the example easier) if you have no memory left, and a new email comes in, it will delete the oldest email(s) to free up space to hold the new email.

I can't remember the exact preference it takes when determining what to purge when there's no memory free, but it's something like browser cache, attachment cache, old calendar, old tasks, old messages.

It's not completely random, and most people will only really see that it's the messages dissappearing since they don't go back in their calendar after the appointment has passed...so they never see them going away. It's not until they start seeing the emails go away that they notice.

Zro
Old 09-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

move to either a 7250 or a 7290 with at least 32mb of memory that can accomodate you with a good amount of memory you require for yours/your user base's messages, to-do's etc.
Closed Thread