Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #221
svines
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Will this OS work on my RIM 957 cause it sounds cool? Maybe make my screen colorful?
No, it won't make your screen more colorful. But good news, it will add a camera.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #222
CMatthews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
What did you have to edit to allow BB Maps to work? When I installed it on my AT&T 8310, it worked without any kind of editing.

Thanks.
I could in stall it and it would work fine, but then when I used apploader in desktop manager it would remove the icon for it.

Here's the thread on it:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...tml#post639266
Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 PM   #223
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
My May prediction looks more and more like the real deal all the time
well it would make sense, with the date they said on BES 4.1.5 release, if they released OS 4.5 not too long after.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #224
RobM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

I, in most cases like this, hate to be right, but was just referring to an earlier post that I made that people were saying no way
Old 02-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #225
dietcoke

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

I like others were really looking forward to this os update as well as the server update. Many features in the new sp and on the os are features my customers have been asking for and want yesterday.

With the latest outages, and certificate errors, I have lost all faith in RIM and the reliability of the blackberry network/ wireless operators.

I shouldn't have to tell my customers once or twice a week to renew service books.

Although the new os will be amazing, I think there will be many setbacks and outages that will piss people off.

People, please keep in mind that once the update does come out and gives you like 5 new features... the appeal will wear off right away. They hype surrounding this release should be reserved for new innovative devices.

imho
Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #226
RobM

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post
I like others were really looking forward to this os update as well as the server update. Many features in the new sp and on the os are features my customers have been asking for and want yesterday.

With the latest outages, and certificate errors, I have lost all faith in RIM and the reliability of the blackberry network/ wireless operators.

I shouldn't have to tell my customers once or twice a week to renew service books.

Although the new os will be amazing, I think there will be many setbacks and outages that will piss people off.

People, please keep in mind that once the update does come out and gives you like 5 new features... the appeal will wear off right away. They hype surrounding this release should be reserved for new innovative devices.

imho
As with anything new, the new car smell will wear off quickly I agree...it will be what it will be
Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #227
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

No matter how quickly or what features people will still not be happy. There will almost certainly be some bugs and people will complain about that also.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #228
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:

imho
I actually agree with this to a certain extent. OS 4.2.1 was the worst OS in RIM's history (IMO.) OS 4.2.2 was better but was never rolled out to all the devices. RIM better get it right with this new OS or they will have lost much of my faith in them. I'll never give up my BB but it sure changes one's excitement for the device. Upgrading the OS usually makes a device worse rather than better. BIS (gmail) email has gone from instant to 3-10 minute delays. Carrier outages seem to be a little more frequent and a 10 minute outage at RIM turns into a 6 hour outage for everyone. I just have to wonder if 12 million BB devices is just too many.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #229
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
I managed an environment with thousands of users and we do not have this issue.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #230
Race

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatthews View Post
I could in stall it and it would work fine, but then when I used apploader in desktop manager it would remove the icon for it.

Here's the thread on it:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...tml#post639266
Oh - I didn't know about that.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #231
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
Jibi what 3rd party apps are you running to only have 17MBs? Cuz imo that's low for just having the OS on there
FWIW, a fresh BlackBerry 8310 from AT&T runs with 44MB (of 56MB) for the OS only. This includes languages, TeleNav, etc. Removal of the languages, TeleNav, and the sample video results in 9MB of additional free space, leaving you with 21MB total. As I said, very little overhead. There can be a lot gained back by uninstalling the themes, etc. in JC's cleanup thread, but we're not talking about overly aggressive cleanup to get the 17MB of free space on OS 4.5.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #232
Race

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
FWIW, a fresh BlackBerry 8310 from AT&T runs with 44MB (of 56MB) for the OS only. This includes languages, TeleNav, etc. Removal of the languages, TeleNav, and the sample video results in 9MB of additional free space, leaving you with 21MB total. As I said, very little overhead. There can be a lot gained back by uninstalling the themes, etc. in JC's cleanup thread, but we're not talking about overly aggressive cleanup to get the 17MB of free space on OS 4.5.
jibi,

How do you remove Telenav? Is this in the thread you're referring to?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #233
dietcoke

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

Quote:
I managed an environment with thousands of users and we do not have this issue.
this is not bes related... strictly gmail and yahoo bis issues.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #234
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

TeleNav can be removed in Options >Advanced Options >Applications. If it's not in there then it's likely just a link and you'll find it in Service Books.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:51 AM   #235
Joe7966

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
4.1 SP5 went RTM last Friday (15th), will be released to partners this Friday (22nd), and released for general availability next Friday (29th).
is this still the schedule?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #236
mettleh3d
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Does anybody know if the "new" browser mentioned way back in June '07 will also be released with the upcoming OS? I've perused the forums and have never come across this subject, I only stumbled across this while googling one day.

EXCLUSIVE: The Next BlackBerry Browser | BlackBerry Cool

Is it already out? If it is, I should beat myself for not having gotten it. This browser >> video recording.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #237
bakerfall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettleh3d View Post
Does anybody know if the "new" browser mentioned way back in June '07 will also be released with the upcoming OS? I've perused the forums and have never come across this subject, I only stumbled across this while googling one day.

Is it already out? If it is, I should beat myself for not having gotten it. This browser >> video recording.
The browser is in the 4.3.1 betas for the Pearl. It's very nice, especially that the trackball now controls a cursor.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #238
harveyjc_2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
I'm not talking about MP3 collections, nor any media. I'm talking about the OS and a handful of apps.

My AT&T Curve only had around 17MB free and it only had the base OS and the following apps:

- Blackberry Maps
- Opera Mini
- Accuweather Push
- Google Maps
- Windows Live Maps

I had about 50 contacts, less than 25 emails without attachements and maybe three months of calendar data. That's it, and only about 17MB left.

I don't see how I could have 4.5 with it's new features, along with the above list and have much room left. Especially after using it for a while and putting the rest of my contacts and calendar on it, as well as more email.

I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. I wish I could easily eliminate AT&T's merchandising off the thing and free up more space. It's maddening that the devices are made to the minimum specs and then the carrier hobbles it further with their bloat.

I don't listen to MP3s on my phones, nor do I watch any movies, nor take many pictures. I don't even add ringtones. (I don't even play games on it.) I do use it for business and need a small handful of apps.

I don't like the endless grabs from AT&T for all of the services they are throwing against the wall to try to get you to buy - music, video, ringtones, Telenav, PTT, etc.

I'll keep an open mind for the update, though.
You're complaining about space and you have three map applications...?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #239
RadHaz75

Model: 9650
PIN: BALL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post
The browser is in the 4.3.1 betas for the Pearl. It's very nice, especially that the trackball now controls a cursor.
you can do that on 4.2 code now, just switch to desktop view.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #240
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettleh3d View Post

It doesn't have tabbed browsing, as there were bugs in the early betas of OS 4.3.0. It was left out of OS 4.3.1/4.5.0 and doesn't appear to be planned for any release prior to OS 5.0.0, but we could potentially see it in OS 4.6.0 (haven't seen it in action yet).